Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW Swim Events 2013

Options
  • 12-12-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

I would like to put a couple of these into the calender.

Pencilled in already
    i3 5k as its local
    Glendalough or Logh Echnell 1.5k as I've heard good things

I'd like another event in the 5-8k region (thinking Beginish Island) and then have a bash off a 10k event if there is one somewhere towards the end of the summer or autumn (Camlough?). Suggestions much appreciated?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

The OW calender's are usually launched in May of that year.

You can review the 2012 Munster OW swims in
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78483968

Once I get information on 2013, I'll post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Hi Shotgun!!!

Long time no talk!!

I did Warrior of the Sea this year (6k) from Rosses Point to Strandhill (http://warriorofthesea.wix.com/wots). Couldn't recommend it enough - it was tough going.

There's a 10 k by the same crew in Lough Gill in August (www.loughgillswim.com)......it looked good but I didn't get to enter in-time.

The two above are part of a county sligo open water swim league that makes up 4 swims.

I was up in Camlough too - didn't do the longer swims but did the 750 k night swim. Didn't much like the look of the longer swims.........but then it was really sh1tty weather so hard to make a good call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Something to keep in mind till next summer,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwQB2HZa9YM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I did the 10K Lough Gill swim this year and can highly recommend it, well organised and a lovely place to do a swim! I also did the i3 swim back in 2011, the 5K swim, and personally I did not think it was particularly well run so I would not do their swim again unfortunately.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

in sligo the latest as far as i've gathered.

metalman swim series (0.5km - 2km) June 2013 Confirmed.
    lough gill 10km 10th August Likely but not 100%
    warrior of the sea 6km 20th July Confirmed.
    channel cup 2km 15/16th june from organiser.
    lighthouse swim 2.5km don't know if its running yet.

there is a possibility of a 2km (or so) river swim but this is up in the air for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Does anyone know when Warrior Of The Sea opens for entry?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Warrior Of The Sea opens for entry?

not yet but i know the organiser, he's been swamped with imquiries since last year so i'd say it will fill quickly so don't hang about when it does open. i've done it every year its been on it's a great swim, nice distance, tough conditions and a great place in strandhill to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

i got this in an email on Friday
    The 2013 Ocean FM Warrior of the Sea will take place on Saturday 20th July 2013 at 09:50am.

By receiving this email you have been given priority registration for the 2013 WOTS swim. Priority registration will start at 9am on Saturday 12th January 2013 and will last for 24hrs. Priority places have been limited to 125 entrants. Registration will open to the general public at 9am on Sunday 13th January 2013.

NOTE: We have had over five hundred enquiries for the 2013 swim and only 250 places are available, so we would advise you to be ready at 9am to avoid disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I just noticed the date for the Beginish Swim off Valentia Island in Kerry is up on the Valentia Tri Club website.

*** DATE FOR 2013 *** DATE AND TIME FOR BEGINISH ISLAND SWIM 2013 is SATURDAY 20th JULY – START TIME 13:50 (High Tide 15:20).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just a quick idea, could we create table similar to swim log, that would sort itself by date, with columns: Date, County, Place, What, Link?

ThOnda wrote: »
    Just a quick idea, could we create table similar to swim log, that would sort itself by date, with columns: Date, County, Place, What, Link?

We could create a Google spread sheet, with a similar format to the 2012 Munster table;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5W7tT7YqqBdFRndlB0ZU9YWi1HSEc0aU9fLWk5WEE#gid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Howdy,

Thanks for the heads up on the "Warrior of the Sea" event, just entered it online.

Just need to organise sunshine, small swell for weekend and glassy conditions, at least the crisp cool pints will take care of themselves :)

OB.

Howdy,

Thanks for the heads up on the "Warrior of the Sea" event, just entered it online.

Just need to organise sunshine, small swell for weekend and glassy conditions, at least the crisp cool pints will take care of themselves :)

OB.

i've done it three times. it's a bit special like they say in football

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Google docs, sounds great.

6km in the sea? Darn, that is tempting. That would require a bit of change in training, like to begin any training at all. And in open water too. Still tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Trying to choose between Beginish Island and Warrior of the sea. Both 6k and on the same day. Dilemma aside, I cannot seem to register for either. Anyone else having this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

Beginish isn't open yet, the entry link is for last year's event so it doesn't work any more.

The Munster swim calendar will be out in a couple of months time, the organisers are sorting dates and tides and things at the moment. The best place to find information on that is on the Sandycove website, www.sandycoveswimmers.com.

A number of swims do have dates already:
    - the Vibes and Scribes Lee Swim (2,000m) is on Saturday, July 6th
    - Loch Allua (8km) is on Sunday, July 7th, entries are open here
    - the Edge Sports Sandycove Island Challenge (1,700m) is on Saturday September 7th

Ah rats, love doing the Sandycove Kinsale swim, but The Dun Laoghaire Harbour swim in on the 8th September.

Yes, it's a pity-we did talk to someone in Leinster Sea Swimming when we set the date because we were hoping they wouldn't clash. Unfortunately tides are conspiring against us this year! We looked at the possibility of having Sandycove later in the month and but it just doesn't work-the only real option was late in the evening on the 21st (HT is 19:20) and it's getting too cold in the evenings at that stage-particularly at Sandycove where the sun disappears behind the hills early.

It's still possible to do both...you'd just have to miss out on the session in Kinsale after the swim ;)

Now is that you L that I was talking to at Bar last September about when the Liffey was on or The Harbour because it might clash with Kinsale

I know it's doable but love having the weekend down there and the session afterwards....

• Advertisement

Would love to do the Loch Allua but its the day after the Ring of Kerry cycle. Would be too sore after the feed of pints!!

mad m wrote: »
    Now is that you L that I was talking to at Bar last September about when the Liffey was on or The Harbour because it might clash with Kinsale

Yes it probably was! I don't remember, but all that day is just a blur for me because I had so much going on. Now I'm trying to figure out who you are!!

I did talk to the rest of the committee after about trying to keep them apart. Unfortunately there are only a small number of possible weekends and we're all bound by the tides. The Leinster committee said that they'd take our date into consideration when they were deciding on the Dun Laoghaire date (we decided our date soon after the 2012 event) but I'd say that they were the same as us-the other options just didn't work. Oh well, hopefully the moon will be kinder to us all next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Galway Bay swim is set for 27th July this year have no starting time yet. I hope to finish it this year and hope that conditions are better than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I signed up for the Skelligs swim last year and it was postponed due to swells....anybody know when it might be held this year?

Cuan to Ventry, Dingle, Kerry.
    Sunday June 23rd.
    Distance 2km and 4km. Wetsuits and togs welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/events/282433451887526/?fref=ts

This was my very first OW swim two years ago and after it I got the bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

I realise that this swim might be far too short for many of you but I wanted to let you know about it anyway. A group of triathletes got together last year and organised a run where we tried to bring good organisation to bear as well as a great price. Have a look at the link below to see what people thought of our efforts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80049447

This year we are bringing back the Shannon Mile Swim. It will be staged right in the centre of Athlone two weeks before triAthlone beginning at 6pm. We are limiting the places to 300 which would be 6 waves of 50 people. Registration opened two weeks ago and the response has been very good so we are expecting a really good atmosphere and some great swimmers.

Wetsuit is not compulsory and if the numbers are there we will have a non wetsuit wave.

2km OW swim in Ballyheigue, Kerry. 15th June.
    Did it two years ago. Nice finish in the surf!!

http://www.ballyheigue.ie/sliptoshore

• Advertisement

Here is a Draft of 2013 Leinster Open sea races..

Advertisement