Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again - Leinster OSC 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Agua

Got my handicap last night normally off 2:30 now off 3:15 for tomorrow.... I hope there is a good flow and I can catch up with the "roundy" lads at the front :):) . There dosent seem to be any venue lined up for the afters like the Shelbourne last year, at least there was no mention of it in the info last night, it only says the presentation will be at the Jenny Johnson at 17:00. Anyone know if there will be an official doo on?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

It seems they're expecting us to be swimming against the flow of the river seen as my handicap went out by 3mins from usual and is even 15s slower then my harbour handicap so a big pull against us would be most welcome for me.

Putting my neck out on the line, I thinkl Rene Kral and Dave Farrell will be there or thereabouts in the prizes.

P.S. The handicaps for the women are up online @ www.swimlenster.com/opensea/opensea.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Are they goping to put up the mens handicaps?

Bee good to see who got what..... hard to predict a winner otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Finelli wrote: »
    Are they goping to put up the mens handicaps?

Bee good to see who got what..... hard to predict a winner otherwise

i'll go first..

Shay dillon...........got a good handicap although if there is little or no current then it will go to someone further back in the handicaps..

Maybe the bold Frank C himself??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Goodluck to all tomorrow,have a safe swim. Hope to catch up with a few who are going off before me....

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    i'll go first..

Shay dillon...........got a good handicap although if there is little or no current then it will go to someone further back in the handicaps..

Maybe the bold Frank C himself??

Ahem, I got in before you with Gabriel Byrne:D, but with his handicap he would want to have webbed feet...

Shay Dillion did indeed get a good handicap...

Men's h/caps up now for those who want another sneaky look at the list before thy head into town.

Well done to Declan Proctor.......

Swine!!!:D

Todays race is called off due to light craft warning, plus it seems weather is to get worse.....

Hate Irish weather.....:rolleyes:

Absolutely well done to both winners, actually all winners.

It's been a strange season with the amount of cancellations and postponements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

The weather seems to be getting the better of us as we approach the last few swims of the season. I dunno how many times you can cancel and hope to re schedule a race but tides and weather will have their say. I know Im already run out of excuses to get away for a weekend swim but I can just about get away with the 2 that are left. I would be a good idea to pack a thermal relflective blanket in your swim bag for the weekend. I was out in Low rock last night and the water was COLD:eek: so a 1.8k swim in Bray should get the teeth chattering alright.

^^ How long did you stay in for last night? How was it out there in regards if a race was to go ahead...Were they right to cancel it?

I think they will have to go ahead with those races because the swimmer of the year there is at least 5/6 swimmers in with a shout...The weather looks to be ok for Saturday anyway. But your right a blanket and a flash of coffee wont go a miss after the last few races.

mad m wrote: »
    ^^ How long did you stay in for last night? How was it out there in regards if a race was to go ahead...Were they right to cancel it?

I think they will have to go ahead with those races because the swimmer of the year there is at least 5/6 swimmers in with a shout...The weather looks to be ok for Saturday anyway. But your right a blanket and a flash of coffee wont go a miss after the last few races.

I stayed in till I got nearly sea sick but I stayed in the vicinity of the cove at the beach. The wind was whipping the tops of the waves and visibility at water level wasnt good. It was like a roller coaster. Good fun but a race would have been crazy. Waves breaking over the rocks on the right hand side and huge waves out where the buoys would be. They wouldnt have got the boats out of Malahide.
    Dunno about them having to run the cancelled races tho...I mean if they dont have the tide during the day then the light levels at evening time would be a concern after 7pm. That means that races would have to be run on Saturdays or Sundays and you mightnt have a suitable tide till the end of the month. If they held them mid week during the day time nobody with a job will turn up. The people at the top of the leader tables can only swim in events that can be held within reason. I mean your not looking for races to be re run in October or November surely? They just might call it a day after Eddie Heron (if we get the weather that is, that day). Forecast for next week looks good - light winds

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A winter swimming league would be great :)

A winter swimming league would be great :)

Are you just trying to bring in the wet suits by the back door!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

No one said anything about wetsuits... it will be all sprints max 400m ;) but I bet you there would be plenty of pbs broken ;)

Since I'd managed to screw myself over burning my feet a week before I had to stay on the bank ;( altough I did get a t-shirt and I was quite happy with my handicap ;( anyway below you will find some photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/108246670996703146898/LiffeySwim2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And a short video, mainly from ladies race as I didn't managed to catch up with you guys limping ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Agua

Kriss71 nice one for the vid but the pic link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could re-post the link.

Well done to Declan P ... a great achievement, everyone seemed to have a really enjoyable swill on Saturday, I liked the extra distance although the results are a little out of sequence!! Bring beck the tags.

Agua wrote: »
    Kriss71 nice one for the vid but the pic link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could re-post the link.

Well done to Declan P ... a great achievement, everyone seemed to have a really enjoyable swill on Saturday, I liked the extra distance although the results are a little out of sequence!! Bring beck the tags.

I hope the "swill" was a typo. Congrats to Declan and yeah electronic timing is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

2 nice swims coming up this weekend however weather forecast is for fresh and gusty south to southwest winds. I know Bray is reasonably sheltered from those directions but boats may have problems launching and getting there. I wouldnt be surprised to see Sundays race cancelled and tomorrows to go ahead. I think there will be small craft warning on both days so fingers crossed..

^^ Yeah hopefully it will be ok at least for one race. Can't believe its near the end of the season....

• Advertisement

Well feck it anyway, race cancelled due to winds.......aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

we gotta call a day to this. One last chance next week. Cant see Wicklow going ahead either that is even more exposed.:mad:

@rokossovsky

Just back from Seapoint and it was lovely, nearly flat as a pancake, sun shining etc. Swam out and around and followed four of those yellow bouys then headed back in....Great swim....

If anyone is itching for a swim then head out there now....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

I believe it should work now

https://picasaweb.google.com/108246670996703146898/LiffeySwim2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If it doesn't I will look for a different place to upload them

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Looks like just one race will decide it this year - it's very close at the top of the table - predictions?

Finelli wrote: »
    Looks like just one race will decide it this year - it's very close at the top of the table - predictions?

Well its a long enough race so the back markers will get up......So its either going to be...

Aidan Robertson
    Stevie Doyle
    Gabriel Byrne (Hope he wins it)

That is if its not cancelled.....

Well thats it ladies and gentlemen, the Leinster open sea swim season is over, race cancelled today due to light craft warning.

Well done to Club of the Year "NAC" and by looks of it "John McCarty" also NAC swimmer of the year"

mad m wrote: »
    Well thats it ladies and gentlemen, the Leinster open sea swim season is over, race cancelled today due to light craft warning.

Well done to Club of the Year "NAC" and by looks of it "John McCarty" also NAC swimmer of the year"

Thanks for the good wishes Mad M, it was an amazing season. Leanne Masters also got Ladies Swimmer of the Year. Looking forward to next season

First in for the new season 2012? Talking points to look at. Are we going to have a Liffey swim this year? New swims in lough lene and Wexford. More scrutiny on event management? Who has been in so far this year. Wet suits neednt bother replying to that -insufficient data! :D

• Advertisement

First in for the new season 2012? Talking points to look at. Are we going to have a Liffey swim this year? New swims in lough lene and Wexford. More scrutiny on event management? Who has been in so far this year. Wet suits neednt bother replying to that -insufficient data! :D

Of course there is a Liffey swim but hear the start will be moved down further, maybe something to do with new bridge being built (could be totally wrong).
    More scrutiny on event management:
    Don't get me started on this.....

been in a good few times, first time was pure hell.

Advertisement