Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming holiday

Options
  • 05-07-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Im looking to go on holiday on my own in August and thought about a swim holiday. This crowd www.swimtrek.com seem to do a few. Ideally Id like to do a bit of training but have a bit of craic. Has anyone every been on one? Any recommendations?
    Im also into triathlons and theres a few triathlon camps but they seem to cater for groups of people arriving together rather than single people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

I went on the Swimtrek long distance training camp in Malta last year when I was training for my Channel swim. It's a bit different to their regular swimming holidays because the focus is on getting lots of distance in (daily average is estimated at 10km but ends up being more than that) rather than enjoyment! But I can definitely recommend them. The guides were lovely and the swims were stunning.

I've also got a lot of friends who have been on the different trips, and I've heard lots of positive things back. The Croatia and Sardinia holidays in particular are supposed to be beautiful. And we didn't see all of the sights you would see on the holiday trip, I thought that the Malta trip was very pretty. Each of the trips has an approximate swim distance per day so that may help you to decide on a location too.

The only drawback to them in my opinion is the cost. Between the cost of the holiday and then flights it can add up fast. The areas that the swims are in are not necessarily near an airport-for the Malta trip we flew into Malta, had to get a bus across the island to the ferry, got the ferry to Gozo (a smaller island close to Malta where the holiday was actually based) and then had to get a taxi to the hotel. It was hassle and not particularly cheap. But I thought it was worth it. It's a great way to see a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 molly bronski

I'm just back from a week in Croatia with Swimtrek. Fantastic holiday, we swam between 2 and 5km per day . There were huge variations in swimming ability (I could do one hundred lengths of a 20m pool in 50 mins before the holiday started) but we were divided into 3 groups. Each group was accompanied by an instructor in a rubber dinghy or a boat, and there was no pressure to swim any faster than you could. The day started at 8 or 9 with a motor out to the desired location, then a swim: either pottering along near the shoreline for a couple of kms or a crossing between islands. Then we were all collected in the boat, headed off to an island for lunch and later on had a second swim. We were videod on the first day and given pointers on how to improve our strokes. The instructers were enthusiastic and fun and despite all the exercise, it was a surprisingly relaxing holiday. Thoroughly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I'm just back from a week in Croatia with Swimtrek. Fantastic holiday, we swam between 2 and 5km per day . There were huge variations in swimming ability (I could do one hundred lengths of a 20m pool in 50 mins before the holiday started) but we were divided into 3 groups. Each group was accompanied by an instructor in a rubber dinghy or a boat, and there was no pressure to swim any faster than you could. The day started at 8 or 9 with a motor out to the desired location, then a swim: either pottering along near the shoreline for a couple of kms or a crossing between islands. Then we were all collected in the boat, headed off to an island for lunch and later on had a second swim. We were videod on the first day and given pointers on how to improve our strokes. The instructers were enthusiastic and fun and despite all the exercise, it was a surprisingly relaxing holiday. Thoroughly recommend it.

Can you give us an idea of costs....

It's not the cheapest of holidays (like skiing). It was e920 for the week, including accommodation, breakfast and lunch, and the flights. Ryanair are no longer doing Dublin to Zadar so had to go through Stansted-flights added about e280. Would definitely do it again next year, and they have plenty of locations to chose from. Dinner was e15-30.

http://swimtrek.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Did you come across any Jellyfish....

• Advertisement

None!

Advertisement