Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Immersion

• 13-09-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Re: Total Immersion

Just bought book and DVD.
    Has anybody else tried the total immersion technique - books or DVD with improved results?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A few of the guys I swim with metioned it and said it's good. Let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Got the book, but i gave up after a while as I needed to be doing more endurance swims rather than drills. Definitely pointed out a lot of the basics to me (longer reach, balance etc...) but after that I haven't used it much. Definitely gonna try doing the drills as described in the book for the next few months and see how I get on.

BTW, when I bought the book i was doing 32 strokes per length, within a week of reading the book and trying to lengthen my stroke more and balance better I had it down to 21. Now i'm at a healthy 17-18 but slow as hell and still a bit all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 swimmingdurd

I have found this method great. More efficient stroke, better body position, longer stroke so fewer strokes per length. It all contributes to much easier swimming. With practice you can use less energy yet swim faster. Just practise the different drills and you'll be amazed at the end results. Give it time. Enjoy! Pure genius really but makes so much more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Getting interested in this now i'm in off season. I see the website which book/dvd did ye go for?

Getting interested in this now i'm in off season. I see the website which book/dvd did ye go for?

I got the "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" book, but I probably should have bought the DVD too.

I found this site for helpful instructional videos on freestyle though:

http://www.triathlonplace.com/flash/swimfreevideogallery.html

• Advertisement

Oh, and the book didn't turn up after about 4 weeks waiting. I emailed them and they sent out a new one-it arrived about 3 days later, so I recommend them for customer service!

The book I have is Total Immersion - The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier by Terry Laughlin and John Delves. Published in 1996. No doubt there is a more up-to-date edition.

Couldn't recommend this technique more - definitely helps to make it all easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/449987/Total-Immersion/Product.html

works out at 12 quid..Havnt really had a chance to try the drills yet as havnt been in the pool for over a week.

One thing tho - the first few lessons will make you look like a fecking lemon in the pool

But what a cool lemon!! Cruising up and down the pool effortlessly - never out of breath, even when you do a hard set!
    Go for it and start playing 'Swimming Golf' [see the book!] to help you reduce the number of strokes per length while at the same time improving your time.

Enjoy!

just ordered the freestyle dvd there to go with the book. Should probably go to the pool sometime soon to actually practice this stuff!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭boomdocker

you really need the dvd with the book, its much easier when you can see what you are supposed to be doing.....

a bit like cunnins4, i started doing the drills, then lost my way a bit after a couple of months, and just went back swimming.

HOWEVER, it was only after a couple of months that i realised that it was all starting to make sense and the stuff I had been doing in the drills weeks previously started to sink in and I started to improve rapidly. I would at least do the first half dozen drills or so, it will really help you in the long run.

Like all these things though, you have to put in the time. Pool time at the end of the day is what will make you a better swimmer. The good thing about TI is that it will make you think about/concentrate on your technique instead of thrashing aimlessly up and down the pool.

Advertisement