Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breathing

Options
  • 01-09-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice. I only learnt to swim at the start of the year and I breath to the right every stroke. I have tried changing it to every second stroke but am finding it exhausting. Is it just a matter of breathing out slower or just keeping at it until my body adjusts?

I have also tried alternating between left and right but that went horrible wrong.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Just my two cents... never been coached but am a decent swimmer....

Started swimming by breathing every 4 strokes. Was swimming slow so could manage. Was told to learn off both sides so tried it and yeah was horrible at first...really awkward and felt totally wrong but stuck with it...for a long long time. Rhs is still stronger but it was definitely worth it. Now generally breath every 3 but can alternate every 1/2/3/4 depending on how hard I'm going and on the swell if open water.

Maybe improve your stroke as much as possible, then start bringing in a few 100s off every 2 strokes. when your comfortable with that, bring in a few sets breathing off both sides. Wud say stick with it, it takes time like everything to do with swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Could be possible your not getting enough air out while your face is in the water so your not taking a full breath in, thats why you run out of steam as your not keeping your oxygen levels up.
    Try slowing your stroke down to develop your breathing technique, once you've found your rhythm you can up your stroke rate over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

I struggle also with breathing. Doing lessons the last 5 weeks and my breathing is brutal, improving slowly though......I breathe every 3, start off every length really well and controlled but rarely finish well. I sometimes don't exhale fully and other times I hold my breath, or even swallow water - all totally unintentional........but it causes me to tighten up and from there, I'm a goner! Breaststroke baby :D

I'm like you OP, just going to keep trying and wait for that Eureka moment. I've had it in spells so I believe it's not far off

From my limited experience you're best to go with every 3. It will make you a more balanced swimmer and from there you'll then be able to breath every 1-4

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

I learnt to swim over the last 2 years, Breathing can take a bit of time to get over.... giving my situation, I found myself going in ,all arms flying and be out of breath in a few seconds, took me 6 months to complete 2 lengths , first you need to learn to relax ,swim easy , breath every stroke and the progress to every 2 strokes , but these factors are determined by pace .... breathing every stroke on the right hand side at this stage really is where you need to be, perfecting good stroke is more important than length of time that last on one breath.... It all takes a bit of time , When I started i thought id have it in the bag in a few months, 2 years on and for the next 2/3 years i may always be trying to improve my stroke. Swim fitness is different to running or cycling ...... But you will get there. its like playing a instrument, Practice ,Practice and Practice.
    I hope this helps and enjoy it .
    Also, Buy swim fins , Pull buoy and use a Float for improving your kick , all these aids help and are used during training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Try getting used to breathing every time to the left and once that is as comfortable as the right side then move on to breathing every three strokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement