Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I'd say every 5th lad I know either sits on the belt like that or they have a spare buckle they just click in. It bates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I sit on the belt myself, I have an exemption from wearing it though, I got the usual warning when getting it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Was involved in a bad accident 20 years ago - belt kept me safe . Only time I wont wear it is driving around city/ town centres, way too much restriction when you're trying to get around ( wicklow st /grafton st etc)

osheen wrote: »
    Was involved in a bad accident 20 years ago - belt kept me safe . Only time I wont wear it is driving around city/ town centres, way too much restriction when you're trying to get around ( wicklow st /grafton st etc)

Had an accident myself 12 years ago, wrecked my shoulder.

Healed but not the same even today.

Did you get an exemption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Had an accident myself 12 years ago, wrecked my shoulder.

Healed but not the same even today.

Did you get an exemption?

No I was lucky just a lot of bruising, I rear ended a container which ended up where my passenger seat was! . If I had been 30cm to the left I wouldnt be here now.
    Never had any probs with gardai for no seat belt in the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

An email from the RSA today.

We would like to start off the year by sharing with you some of the most common issues detected in the course of our inspections with HCV Operators in 2017 as well as the top visual fail items found during CVR tests.

We hope that this information will help you to improve the safety standards of your own vehicles and driving habits in the year ahead.

Most common Roadworthiness issues we encountered at roadside and premises inspections:
    • Tyres
    • Wheels
    • Brake lights
    • Anti-lock braking systems
    • Inadequate maintenance systems or records

Most common Driver hours, Tachograph and Licensing issues we encountered at roadside and premises inspections:
    • Failing to take adequate breaks
    • Failing to take daily rest period
    • Exceeding daily driving time
    • Failing to take weekly rest
    • Incorrect use of mode switch
    • Driving vehicle without valid driver CPC

Top Visual Fail Items detected at CVR Tests in 2017

Trucks
    · Cab and Bodywork
    · Mechanical Brake Components
    · Steering Linkage
    · Tachograph/Speedometer
    · Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps

Buses
    · Cab and Bodywork
    · Tachograph/Speedometer
    · Front Suspension
    · Mechanical Brake Components
    · Brake Lines and Hoses

Remember, as a HCV Operator you can login to your CVRT Online Account at any time for information about your obligations and to view your inspection and test reports as well as your own current risk rating with the RSA.

If you have forgotten your password, you can easily reset it by clicking on Forgotten Password and entering your email address.

If you require any further assistance, you can contact our dedicated Helpdesk on 1890 927 218 or 091 480 981 or via email it.support@cvrt.ie and they will be happy to assist you.

Wishing you a very happy, safe and productive 2018!

From the Road Safety Authority

Safer Roads. Only you can get us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Anyone ever driven in the paddy’s day parade?
    Been asked to drive in one of the local ones this year for a group of ukulele players if their application is successful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Told earlier today I’m getting one of the new trucks👌👌👌.
    Renault k series. Very impressed with the cab size.

Told earlier today I’m getting one of the new trucks������.

Tipper?

• Advertisement

Anyone ever driven in the paddy’s day parade?
    Been asked to drive in one of the local ones this year for a group of ukulele players if their application is successful :D

Often said i'd love to do it, but never got the chance to drive in a parade, instead i participated in 2000 with a youth club.

Might ask my boss for a new truck :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/trucksmagazine/posts/1637651842994889

Tipper?

Yes gleeson curved body, auto door, auto rollover cover, Sleeper, fridge, side and rear cameras built in Dashcam. Hoping it’s bluetooth enabled.

Hoping it’s bluetooth enabled.

Should be. Not sure about playing music tho. Maybe the new ones will be but worst case there's an aux.

Soon as you get her we will need pics:D

Yes gleeson curved body, auto door, auto rollover cover, Sleeper, fridge, side and rear cameras built in Dashcam. Hoping it’s bluetooth enabled.

You’ll be well spoiled there. Ah yeah I’d say she’ll have Bluetooth alright.

Will you be the sole pilot or will it be shared?

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Should be. Not sure about playing music tho. Maybe the new ones will be but worst case there's an aux.

Soon as you get her we will need pics:D

Music is life lol. Isten to music on my phone everyday after the 45.
    Aux cable is up beside the tacho in the roof on them.
    Not letting me put up a pic.

• Advertisement

You’ll be well spoiled there. Ah yeah I’d say she’ll hsvd Bluetooth alright.

Will you be the sole pilot or will it be shared?

For sure coming off a kerax renault. Red lada I call it.
    Sole pilot bar it’s out weekends or I’m off.

Music is life lol. Isten to music on my phone everyday after the 45.
    Aux cable is up beside the tacho in the roof on them.
    Not letting me put up a pic.

Yes it is.... has to turn off the mic on my dashcam with my shocking singing:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Low enough alright. Could be a dyna with a box van for all we know. Silly mistake but unfortunately it can happen.

• Advertisement

Low enough alright. Could be a dyna with a box van for all we know. Silly mistake but unfortunately it can happen.

Yeah I’ve seen Dyna’s like that.

Many a Bridge I’ve seen get struck in Cork and Limerick.

Had a few slides myself this week but thankfully nothing too scary. Glad the lad is ok he'll be nervous enough for awhile after that.

Had a few slides myself this week but thankfully nothing too scary. Glad the lad is ok he'll be nervous enough for awhile after that.

Had one in the car, never had one in the rig though, by the time I go back to work the sun should be splitting the stones, this is Ireland though :rolleyes:

Were you on early mornings to say you got caught in the poor road conditions?

That chap was uinjured, so hopefully a few days off and he should be fine.

Seen something similar happen on the Blackpool bypass about 10 years ago with an Artic.

Ya was out for 5ish all week. Monday was by far the worst in awhile. Between mallow to m8 at kilbhenny was hairy enough. Good few smashes in mitchelstown Monday morning. I just missed it but two of the lads were behind me. A mitsi canter with a cattle body braked too hard at the firgrove roundabout and got a bad slide artic behind him panicked a bit too and same thing happend took out a few signs and a barrier but nothing major

Driver was lucky. Saying that another hino ridded from the world thank god

Told earlier today I’m getting one of the new trucks👌👌👌.

Got this Thursday. Unreal comfort Bluetooth for phone and music playing. Massive massive difference comfort wise over the kerax. Cab is massive loads of storage space. Build in fridge etc.

Got the new lorry Thursday. Cab is massive and comfort is unreal over the last truck.

Importing more foreign lads.

Driver apprenticeship scheme.

Brand new trucks with 1998 engines.

This article has it all.

http://www.thejournal.ie/truck-drivers-shortage-ireland-3-3854511-Feb2018/

Got the new lorry Thursday. Cab is massive and comfort is unreal over the last truck.

She’s looking great just out of the box.

Mind her and well wear :D

• Advertisement

Driver was lucky. Saying that another hino ridded from the world thank god

Don’t like the modern Hino’s at all.

Importing more foreign lads.

Driver apprenticeship scheme.

Brand new trucks with 1998 engines.

This article has it all.

http://www.thejournal.ie/truck-drivers-shortage-ireland-3-3854511-Feb2018/

Biggest shortage of drivers us down to respect and money. To earn that 30000 most drivers would be away from there families all week.
    People like her are really outta touch with the modern driver.

She’s looking great just out of the box.

Mind her and well wear :D

Cheers it will be clean for a week or to then be manky duecti nature of the work.

Don’t like the modern Hino’s at all.

All hinos are back breakers. I cut my teeth on one. And never want to see another one. Used to get out of it everyday with my left leg and shoulder in bits.
    New sino is scrap to same gearbox I believe.

Ya was out for 5ish all week. Monday was by far the worst in awhile. Between mallow to m8 at kilbhenny was hairy enough. Good few smashes in mitchelstown Monday morning. I just missed it but two of the lads were behind me. A mitsi canter with a cattle body braked too hard at the firgrove roundabout and got a bad slide artic behind him panicked a bit too and same thing happend took out a few signs and a barrier but nothing major

Kilbehenny? jasus, tis so long since i passed through it i forgot it existed :pac:

There was a shop there one time that was a regular stop for truckers in the pre motorway days.

Mitchelstown is always a bad spot when the weather is rough.

Artic jack knifed?

You'd get over barriers and signs once no one was hurt.

Biggest shortage of drivers us down to respect and money. To earn that 30000 most drivers would be away from there families all week.
    People like her are really outta touch with the modern driver.
    Imagine though, the amount of hours needed to make €30k if you don't get expenses. She seems a bit out of touch alright, being from Wexford she's not far from the other crowd, are they still 'Movin on'
    Cheers it will be clean for a week or to then be manky duecti nature of the work.
    Yeah she'll be walking with the dirt, have ye a good wash back at the yard?
    All hinos are back breakers. I cut my teeth on one. And never want to see another one. Used to get out of it everyday with my left leg and shoulder in bits.
    New sino is scrap to same gearbox I believe.
    One of the newer Hino's? I've never had the pleasure of as much as sitting in one, you were driving a manual was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How many trucks in that fleet, they seem to be everywhere in Dublin / Nth kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Imagine though, the amount of hours needed to make €30k if you don't get expenses. She seems a bit out of touch alright, being from Wexford she's not far from the other crowd, are they still 'Movin on'

One of the newer Hino's? I've never had the pleasure of as much as sitting in one, you were driving a manual was it?

Met a new mixer bottle yesterday on way into Gort. Badged "Sino" ? It was identical to hino in majority of appearance.

westgolf wrote: »
    Met a new mixer bottle yesterday on way into Fort. Badged "Sino" ? It was identical to hino in majority of appearance.

Sino is a Chinese (Hong Kong) brand.

They are the truck equivalent to the King Long’s in the bus industry, cheap!

• Advertisement

It’s a lot of time away from family and friends. Nites our weekends out etc I’d imagion.
    She’s well out of touch as is the rest of the rha. They literally do nothing for drivers. Importing more drivers like she suggested somewhere the other day will only lead to the drivers wages remaining low and nobody joining. Last cpc I did a few yrs ago I was the youngest there and I’m 36.
    There’s no wash at the yard it’s out based from main yard in Dublin but they get them washed I think at the airport.
    No just a hino700. Thing drove lije it was on coilovers it was that hard. I didn’t drive the sino and hope to never drive them. Don’t think any hinos were auto I’m open to correction thou.

How many trucks in that fleet, they seem to be everywhere in Dublin / Nth kildare

130 or 140 I think and more to come.

Met a new mixer bottle yesterday on way into Gort. Badged "Sino" ? It was identical to hino in majority of appearance.

The only thing similuar I think is the name and gearbox.
    There a Chinese lorry. Zf transmission man engine and old Volvo cabs. Cheap and cheerful but I couldn’t imagion them being comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

130 or 140 I think and more to come.

Do you drive one or own them.

Do you drive one or own them.

Drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

The only thing similuar I think is the name and gearbox.
    There a Chinese lorry. Zf transmission man engine and old Volvo cabs. Cheap and cheerful but I couldn’t imagion them being comfortable.

Was wondering alright. The man who originally brought hino to Ireland passed away last year n I throught it might be connected some way.

• Advertisement

This thread would be of interest to some of us in the industry.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106186420

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Drive

How do you fuel up. Fuel card or base ?

Was wondering alright. The man who originally brought hino to Ireland passed away last year n I throught it might be connected some way.

They are connected the same man starting importing sinos and ldvs into ireland.
    Must be the guts of a 1000 ldvs sitting in his yard on the naas road.

How do you fuel up. Fuel card or base ?

Both base at the min till the fuel card is issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

was coming over the east link last friday and saw a bizarre looking skelly with a box on it heading over to the port. trailer had the normal three axles on the rear but about half way up the trailer was a 4th axle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement