Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I know people have their opinions but the negativity in the Game of Thrones threads bloody annoys me.

It was an incredible episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But it didn't go exactly the way I think it should've and only my ideas matter!

Seriously though it was a good episode. Plenty of tension

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »
    I know people have their opinions but the negativity in the Game of Thrones threads bloody annoys me.

It was an incredible episode!

I don't blame anyone complaining about how dark it was; really was shocked by that & at times crazy level of camera cuts to go with it.
    Either they made a mess of shooting it or more likely the budget wasn't big enough to cover all that action so they covered it with more fog and smoke.
    Even though Helm's Deep was set at night & shot 20 years ago I don't remember having any issues seeing the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

like i loved the episode but still have a sense of disappointment with some things of it.

the dark didnt bother me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't blame anyone complaining about how dark it was; really was shocked by that & at times crazy level of camera cuts to go with it.
    Either they made a mess of shooting it or more likely the budget wasn't big enough to cover all that action so they covered it with more fog and smoke.
    Even though Helm's Deep was set at night & shot 20 years ago I don't remember having any issues seeing the action.

I think its been filmed that way on purpose myself, to give the viewer the same sense of night that the characters are experiencing.

It was some episode. Some long running theories confirmed it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't blame anyone complaining about how dark it was; really was shocked by that & at times crazy level of camera cuts to go with it. Either they made a mess of shooting it or more likely the budget wasn't big enough to cover all that action so they covered it with more fog and smoke.

I think this is what happened - even with the reduced episodes/extra budget the scope was too big for that they could do; so tried to hide short-comings. Part of it worked really well
    (the Dothraki's light being metaphorically and actually snuffed out)
    but there were numerous way-too-tight action camera shots and jittery motion that was just disorientating. It's a hallmark of bad action scenes (like Batman Begins).

That's nitpicks though, I really really enjoyed the episode :)

Here's a couple of awesome things:
    • The Hound, faced with death, lost all hope; and only snapped out of it seeing Arya fighting for her life. He regained a sense of purpose. Seeds of it were sown last episode with them hanging out for a bit then Arya saving him earlier with an arrow.
    • Arya's stealthy horror-film through the library. LOVED IT. Also that it gets over that she's quieter than a drop of blood; and loved the callbacks to her Bravosi training ("not today"), being told she'd shut green/brown/blue eye; and the dagger was given to her by Bron, the dagger that started this whole deal!
    • The Night King, what a great shít eating grin, unaffected by wildfire. His astounding arrogance, like slowly raising the dead with Jon Snow running at him, knowing how surperior he was. He trained for armies, for dragons, for hoardes, but not for a stealth assassin. Bad ass! Arya's switch-the-hand trick was shown when she was training with Brienne last season :D
    • Theon's redemption; hooooly sheeeet. Being told he's a good man, and being thanked, before literally running towards death was fantastic. Bit sad how quickly he was jobbed out but sure, it put the NK over real strong, and had to save a surprise attack for someone else.
    • Sir Friendzone going out literally in his dream scenario (fighting to protect Danny) and that he waited until the threat was cleared to succumb to his wounds.
    • Leanna Mormont - it's amazing how she just was supposed to be a 2-line character and she was so cool they gave her a bigger part. Very satisfied with her standing up to and defeating the massive orc. Think about how both Mormonts will be remembered in their house!
    • the moment you thought Tyrion and Sansa would commit suicide!?

Stuff that could've been improved:
    • Obviously, the lighting and editing; it was obvious they were hiding shortcomings but god it was bleh! (it got significantly better when they undead broke through the fire blockade). I literally got up and changed tellys halfway through to see if it was my projector. Nope!
    • The dragon fights were both short and very meh. I've no idea what to expect in a dragon fight but it was underwhelming.
    • it feels like they cut out a lot of Tyrion/Sansa storyline. They head out to protect the crypt and it cuts to them with hooorayyyy we're saved!
    • The babyface's battle plans were pretty shíte (like the cavalry out first; not using dragons to pick off the hoarde earlier on etc) but sure, they were outnumbered and always going to lose a numbers game to begin with. Luring the Night King out was their only chance of success.

Other musings:
    • They never should've made the crypts out of drywall!
    • those raggedy old stark skeletons pack a mean punch. I was hoping we might see a Sweet Zombie Ned Stark raise from the dead but oh well, lol.
    • Jaime, Brienne, Tyrion and Jon didn't really do that much, I'd expect them to "main event" the final battle.
    • The music was really great, although I couldn't help but think of the Dark Knight score with the two very similar notes raising to heighten tension. Very joker! The slow motion/quieter pieces juxtaposed with the carnage was beautiful.
    • I'd to laugh at Jaime fighting for Danny. Didn't he charge at her to murder her not too long ago!
    • Sam is a quivering bollix. I get he wants to fight but most of the episode is people saving him, and Geordie lad (Edd?) gets killed because of him. Also it's HILARIOUS he can fight while stabbing people lying down. Working on his back. Is he Yokozuna!
    • Worth noting that "Winter is Coming" is over, which might feel anticlimactic, but the Night King was really only the North's problem -- since the Starks are the protagonists, we see things through their eyes; but sure Danny, the Lannisters and most of Westeros don't care, believe or even know about the Night King. The Iron Throne was always the most important.
    • So 3 episodes left! And Cersei is the big bad. This reminds me Breaking Bad, where the main storyline finished with 2-3 eps to go, and then we get closure for the actual finale.

So a lot of amazing things with some room for improvement. 3 eps left - it's going to be emotional! Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

^^^^ Holy redactions with Jay's post, but understandable given that is is Game Of Thrones. Now to avoid reading what's behind the redactions as I'm waiting for the show to finish, got to the start of Season 2, lost interest for some reason. But at least I'll have something to do over the summer months :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    ^^^^ Holy redactions with Jay's post, but understandable given that is is Game Of Thrones. Now to avoid reading what's behind the redactions as I'm waiting for the show to finish, got to the start of Season 2, lost interest for some reason. But at least I'll have something to do over the summer months :D

Ha i was the very same , got as far as episode two or three in Season 2 last year and just got bored. I might start watching it again over the the next few months

loool. Don't wanna risk spoiling things even if it's out of context! There's a lot of fun twists and turns, deaths and such, definitely enjoy it!

J

• Advertisement

Virtanen wrote: »
    Thought it was a very solid conclusion to the first three phases of the MCU

The first hour or so I found quite slow, aside from the death of Thanos - which was a massive shock - nothing much happened, apart from setting up where everyone was and what mindsets they were in

The time heist was quite fun, I do appreciate the fact that the mission/reset button wasn't to undo what happened in Infinity War, but to bring everyone back five years later. So Thanos' actions still happened, and the consequemces still exist. I would imagine these will be elaborated on in the upcoming season of Agents of SHIELD

Clearly the best scene was the return of all the heroes at the end, and the ensuing battle. I do wish they had shown some of the rest of the world/universe as that happened though. We saw a snapshot of the deaths at the end of IW, would have been nice here too, but again, we should see this in AOS

Loved some of the call-backs to previous movies, my personal favourite being Cap using Mjolnir and Thor saying he knew he could do it - remember when he nearly lifted it in Age Of Ultron?

Have to admit to getting a little misty-eyed at Stark's funeral, but tbh we all expected there would be a big death, so while it was definitely emotional, it wasn't a massive surprise

Funniest reaction from the audience was a collective groan when Fortnite made an appearance :p

Minor gripes, but Thanos was only able to use the Gauntlet because of 'space magic' as Thor put it, right? So how could Stark suddenly make a glove that worked just fine?

Also, Captain Marvel is one hell of a deux ex machina to have around, isn't she? ;)

I really didn't feel like it was 3 hours,
    3 weeks after The Decimation, they go to undo what happened, instead Thanos has wisely destroyed The Infinity Stone to prevent his work being undone

I really have to many favourite moments to pick out, but as you've already mentioned
    Cap finally wielding Mjolnir
    , also the
    Cap standing all alone against Thanos's army, then Cap do you read, it's Sam, on your left
    even listening to the song on the soundtrack that builds during said scene, I can picture it clearly
    the screening where I was at, absolutely bubbled up ready to explode... And then we FINALLY got those words from Cap
    Avengers... Assemble, and charge with Cap at the front
    , cue the explosion from the audience.

I don't think the films events will be touched on in Agents Of Shield's upcoming season, think the earliest we'll get those events being referenced is the Spider-Man: Far From Home -
    Also I think said film will pick up where Peter and Ned reunited in Endgame
    Tony's death, absolutely caught me right in the gut/feels, especially with how he uttered the line that kicked this all off 11 years ago today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,573 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My only negatives for Avengers Endgame
    Pepper suited and in the battle :mad: and also thought Bucky would be the new Cap

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My only negatives for Avengers Endgame
    Pepper suited and in the battle :mad: and also thought Bucky would be the new Cap

I thought it was a cool
    pay off to IM3 and earlier in the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I thought it was a cool
    pay off to IM3 and earlier in the film
    They didn't really treat it as something special though, the only hint of we got was when the kid had the helmet in the tent but didn't Tony say something about wanting it in the bedroom, not really a hint of what was to come, was just another thing in a sea of two dozen more awesome things at the end

Character wise it makes much more sense for Falcon to be the new Cap, Bucky has been fighting for years and seems sort of done for it, main reason I don't care about Falcon moving forward is Anthony Mackie has the appeal of a wet tissue stuck on my foot

Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer. Contains spoilers, i'll just post the link and let Tom Holland explain.

John Cena is in the next Fast and Furious film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    John Cena is in the next Fast and Furious film

Thrice in a lifetime?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pentecost wrote: »
    Thrice in a lifetime?

Nah, he's likely a Rock replacement for that branch of the films. Cena will be in the Vin Diseal branch of them, while Rock has moved off into his own.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nah, he's likely a Rock replacement for that branch of the films. Cena will be in the Vin Diseal branch of them, while Rock has moved off into his own.

Yes with Vin Diesel in 9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Toy Story 4
    Man oh man, that ending was a heartbreaker. When I realized the direction it was going....I was not ready. Tears everywhere. I grew up with Toy Story, and still have my Woody doll I brought to bed every night with me. So him saying goodbye to the other toys....I appreciate it was the definition of bitter sweet, and that it was a true happy ending for him, but lordy, it was rough.

Incredible ending, and a proper emotional one. I thought the ending of Endgame was a tearjerker, but it was nothing compared to this.

Thought a lack of a true “villain” was great too.

If anyone's going to see the new Spidey film in a week and half's time, please be careful browsing YouTube, as the film's post credits scene has been leaked online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Toy Story 4
    Man oh man, that ending was a heartbreaker. When I realized the direction it was going....I was not ready. Tears everywhere. I grew up with Toy Story, and still have my Woody doll I brought to bed every night with me. So him saying goodbye to the other toys....I appreciate it was the definition of bitter sweet, and that it was a true happy ending for him, but lordy, it was rough.

Incredible ending, and a proper emotional one. I thought the ending of Endgame was a tearjerker, but it was nothing compared to this.

Just out of it myself, thought it was great
    I thought all the new characters were brilliant and the last few minutes of Gabi Gabi was an emotional rollercoaster all on its own for me!

I too grew up with Toy Story and while I didn't shed a tear at this one (I was the opposite for Toy Story 3, still am every time I see Andy hesitate with giving away Woody) the ending was great and I'm genuinely sad at the thought of Woody & Buzz being apart. I love Pixar in general but with Toy Story I think they've totally nailed the 'growing with your audience' thing and it continued with this one.

Toy Story 4

Keanu Reeves as Duke was great

So Spider-Man: Far From Home definitely lived up to my expectations. Then again Spidey is favourite superhero.. But I digress..

Anyways, non spoiler thoughts, it does well to progress what was built on in Homecoming, but also dealing with events post Avengers: Endgame. It acknowledges the events of it, but doesn't spend too long dwelling on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's SDCC time which means movie trailers

Top Gun: Maverick

Jay & Silent Bob Rebooted (Strong language warning)

https://twitter.com/WWECritics/status/1151903890415263746?s=19

rm983603201.jpg

I'm amazed people still make these parody movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Finished watching Trailer Park boys.quality went downhill at season 8 onwards but had it moments. Can't see them going back non animated esp with the death of John Dunsworth (mr Leahey) who was one of the best characters by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Finished watching Trailer Park boys.quality went downhill at season 8 onwards but had it moments. Can't see them going back non animated esp with the death of John Dunsworth (mr Leahey) who was one of the best characters by a mile

Yeah, the series more or less died when they had Snoop Dogg come to the park. Lost a lot of its charm.

Lahey's death was one of the few celebrity deaths that genuinely saddened me. One of the funniest characters in any TV show I've watched. I don't think I've ever seen better drunk acting.

• Advertisement

John Dunsworth by all accounts was the sweetest, gentlest soul :) This video of him warms my heart.

Amazing he was a non drinker and could play the drunk guy perfectly. Deff the best actor in the series and is no doubt missed

The Boys on Amazon Prime Video is fantastic. Go in knowing as little as possible & it's better as the trailers are fairly spoiler-ish

looking forward to the Watchmen series, new Rick and Morty and the new South Park episodes

I wont give up on the simpsons even tho the last few seasons have been frankly **** and ruining the legacy. Family Guy will go that way

looking forward to the Watchmen series, new Rick and Morty and the new South Park episodes

I wont give up on the simpsons even tho the last few seasons have been frankly **** and ruining the legacy. Family Guy will go that way

Actually think family guy is worse than Simpson’s is these days

looking forward to the Watchmen series, new Rick and Morty and the new South Park episodes. I wont give up on the simpsons even tho the last few seasons have been frankly **** and ruining the legacy. Family Guy will go that way

A man after my own heart! Although FG has gotten really bad. Those repetitive motion jokes that last 60 seconds are a death sentence! Plus Brian, my God! What have they done to him!

Hobbs and Shaw is Universal Solider meets Batman meets James Bond meets Terminator meets Lethal Weapon enjoyable over the top dumb fun

are there many practical effects? The trailer is OTT CG slow motion stuff and it's not my cup of tea

jaykhunter wrote: »
    are there many practical effects? The trailer is OTT CG slow motion stuff and it's not my cup of tea

There is a lot of CGI but the chemistry and banter between The Rock and Jason Statham carries it, David Leitch directs
    he did Deadpool 2, also so explains two of the cameos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hobbs & Shaw is the most stupid over the top cgi infested overacting ridiculous crazy film and I loved every minute of it.

Pure summer popcorn.

Hobbs & Shaw is the most stupid over the top cgi infested overacting ridiculous crazy film and I loved every minute of it.

Pure summer popcorn.

A sequel and Idris (Brixton) spin off already talked about

Reigns did well with no lines :P

Arrow's Stephen Amell to Headline 8-Episode Wrestling Drama Heels at Starz

https://tvline.com/2019/08/19/stephen-amell-heels-starz-wrestling-series-cast/

Surely Cody Rhodes will get a role :p

The Rock tops Forbes list of the world’s highest paid actors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sky88 wrote: »

I never liked Tom Holland as Spiderman, now to be fair I'm not a fan of the comics and others have said he's the perfect Spiderman but I just found him ugh and lost interest in movies anytime he appeared on screen.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1164629900889747456

They've already filmed the Breaking Bad movie and will release it next year on AMC and Netflix.

Edit: being released on Netflix October 11th.

Glow is such an addictive show although Alison Brie can annoy me sometimes

Never watched an episode of Breaking bad or peaky blinders. Deff missing out I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Glow is such an addictive show although Alison Brie can annoy me sometimes

Never watched an episode of Breaking bad or peaky blinders. Deff missing out I reckon

giphy.gif

i loved alison brie in community but even following her on twitter, instagram was too much shes annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Blasphemy lads, Alison Brie is a delight & I'll hear nothing more :pac: Loved her in community, love her on glow & she has some great characters on Bojack Horseman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement