Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a music teacher

Options
  • 02-04-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what qualifications do you need to be a music teacher?

I am currently studying this http://www.bimm.co.uk/dublin/courses

(BA (HONS) IN COMMERCIAL MODERN MUSIC)

any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check is your degree recognised by the Teaching Council for teaching in Ireland.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Publications/Autoquals%20updated%2026th%20July%202012.pdf (pdf file)

If it's not, then you have to contact them to assess whether the course meets the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

Hiya! There are several colleges u can go to the most notable for teaching music are mater Dei institute in drumcondra and this is an education degree where ur teaching practice is built in every year for 4 years there are about 20 places per year and it is based on audition and the points for the cap ate about 380 now I think- u can apply as a mature student as well. Maynooth do a similar course with the TP built in- u are better with a degree like that because u get practice in 4 different schools and u don't have to apply and pay for a Hdip separately'! Also in mater Dei u get to study religion as a second subject which will really benefit u when u are looking for a job!!! If u have any other questions I wud be happy to help! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭halfmoon123

Maynooth doesn't have a similar course. For Maynooth, you must complete a Bachelor of Music degree or a BA with music as an arts subject with another arts subject, and then you must apply for the Professional diploma in education in any university (NUIM, UCD, UCC, TCD, etc.) which will be a 2-year course with teaching practice, lectures, etc.

Advertisement