Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Time for the tui &co to step up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What if you do s and s for 49 hours and over 65k, they can't leave people with s and s allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

A friend of mine is having a bit of a panic. Does the 5.5% on earnings between 65k and 80k include earnings below 65k?

He's on 70k but has a hefty mortgage. Will he lose 5% of 70k or 5% of 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

As far as I know it's 5.5% of the total. However, the new 'salary' can't dip below 65K, i.e there's a cap on the damage. That's my understanding but anyone with greater understanding please feel free to correct/clarify.

That is correct however if he does s and s, he won't loose both but detail to be provided yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

He's in 3rd level so he's caught.

Seems unfair that someone on 66k drops 1k to 65k, but someone on 68k drops 3k to 65k too.

If I have my calculations right!

• Advertisement

fair? thats a word not supposed to be mentioned here!

Detail is seriously required, I hope we are not asked to vote and detail will be made available afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

mvron wrote: »
    As far as I know it's 5.5% of the total. However, the new 'salary' can't dip below 65K, i.e there's a cap on the damage. That's my understanding but anyone with greater understanding please feel free to correct/clarify.

Well the way it is phrased sounds like its banded, why don't they just say those earning between €65K up to €80K will be deducted 5.5%? Although one always has to presume the worst. EDIT: Scratch that, it looks like you are right mvron

Earnings (salary inclusive of allowances) between €65,000 and €80,000 will be temporarily reduced by 5.5%. The effect of this measure, however, may not cause earnings to fall below €65,000 (i.e. a floor of €65,00 will apply)

TUI has said the above which is totally different to ASTI line that all pay up to 80000 will be cut by 5.5%. This needs clarification.

Also the line about the pay cut being reduced by S&S loss, does this apply to 49 hour people also??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Would now be a good time to join a union?

I am on part-time casual hours....i.e., have no contract but have been getting at least 13.5 hours a week since the second week of school, and have been told that I'll be here until the end of the school year.

It's just this morning, our union rep began handing out union application forms to staff members who aren't part of the union, saying, and I quote, 'you should join before the **** hits the fan!'

He totally ignored me when handing out these application forms, purely, I think, because I don't have a contract.

So should I join a union?

• Advertisement

some people would say everyone should be in a union, some people think its a waste.
    Personally, I would say be in the union because the protection is there is any accusation is made, bullying occurs, incidents happen and your hung out to dry etc etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So looking at the above from the view of a part timer...am I right in saying that the pro is there's a slight pay increase, but the payoff is a drastic reduction in the number of potential hours a new teacher can expect?

With more teachers being forced to do sub work, it cuts down on the general number of hours available in sub work, which was the primary entry route for new teachers over the last few years and a key component of the wages of part time teachers who used them to build up their hours. On top of that, if all teachers are going to be working extra hours, they'll be needing to take extra classes which will again likely come from the hours of the part time teachers, once again reducing the hours that NQTs desperately sought out?

In other words, do these changes not make it even harder for new teachers starting out and those who qualified in the last two or three years? Or am I reading things wrong from the TUI website?

yes. The budget we would use for uncertified leave will be gone because there will now be a pool of hours for in school use. I also don't like the phrase about 1st day of certain types of certified absences? That usually gives people a lot of subbing so we might be in trouble there also............... Lot less work for subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I would be hugely concerned about the lack of substitution hours as a part time teacher. I'm currently on full hours but may not be next year and I have lived on them in previous years

e.g. would be roughly 100000 (yes, one hundred thousand) hours alloacted for uncertified leave and school business would now be gone over the course of a year. In theory thats 137 full time jobs for full school year, subbing wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Do the original 33 cp hours still apply or are they gone?

Oh and one more question, what happens to the pension deduction from my s&s for the last number of years?

I would think the 33 hours will remain as this is merely an extension of the current deal.
    Pensionability: Still to be addressed, pensions board might like to hear about this....

TheDriver wrote: »
    I would think the 33 hours will remain as this is merely an extension of the current deal.
    Pensionability: Still to be addressed, pensions board might like to hear about this....

If those sham 33 hrs still exist I will vote no so, regardless of the ramifications. I hate every one of those pointless, bureaucratic, pen pushing, time wasting exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

TheDriver wrote: »

I would think they should be gone to be honest. This is a new deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

doc_17 wrote: »
    I would think they should be gone to be honest. This is a new deal.

I doubt they're gone tbh, the union surely would've mentioned it by now. Pay cut/ increments freeze would be a lot easier to stomach if CP hours were abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I doubt they're gone tbh, the union surely would've mentioned it by now. Pay cut/ increments freeze would be a lot easier to stomach if CP hours were abolished.
    If they were to go it would be almost certain to be passed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Pay cut/ increments freeze would be a lot easier to stomach if CP hours were abolished.

Or if the way they're used was changed. CP was intended to help planning etc. However, since it began, I cannot say that as a department, we have had a single extra planning meeting. Everyone doing the hours at once means you can't get all the people together at a suitable time. Our staff meetings seem to have reduced as well, squashed in between 'planning meetings' and CPD, which often does not apply to the whole staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Does anyone know how the compulsory s&s would work for part-time secondary teachers? For example, if I had a fixed-term contract for say for 3 hours a week would I still be expected to do S&S for 2.25 hours? Or would the S&S be pro-rata? (3/22)x2.25=18 minutes?

http://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Image/Roisin/LRC%20Proposals%20Final%20Feb%2026%202013.pdf

don't see anything about the double cuts thingy.
    I would think everything is pro rata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

http://www.lrc.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/2013/LRC Proposals _FINAL.pdf

still vague on new entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Just went through LRC doc there now and can't find where it's either one loss or another? I thought I read that if people were caught for the €1.5k loss of S&S then they would lose the 5.5% less the S&S payment.

(Not explaining myself very well :D Am square eyed from looking at it).

i cna't find it either however various teacher union websites all state it.
    I also can't find that after 3 years, money goes back (in theory)

I'm on page 12 and my head hurts.

So far it seems we agree to continue to be bound by croke park 1 (1.9 and 1.10) so the 33 hours are still there.

A lot of things appear to be unfinalised

2.11 allows the government to cut more staff if they see fit
    2.28 details and circulars to follow
    2.29 we agree to enter talks on pension issues and be bound by the conclusion
    2.30 travel and subsistence to be revised. We agree to be bound by the revision
    2.33 revised salary scales will be prepared. I cannot understand this one

2.33 New Entrant Salary Scales: In order to address the imbalance between those who entered the public service since 2011 and those who entered before that date, revised incremental salary scales shall be prepared for same grade entrants to each public service sector as necessary to incorporate the revision of salary scales introduced by Decision of Government in January 2011.

Do they mean to change all current staff both pre and post January 2011?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if work sharing is the same as job sharing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement