Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

H dip

• 19-09-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

can one apply for a h-dip with just a pass Hons in Fine Art??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi,

The art dip is pretty specific ( unlike the general PDE offered at most colleges) so best to ring up the art colleges that offer an Art PDE.

Sorry can't be of more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

I don't know but you should think of your prospective studnets. I certainly wouldn't be happy to have my child educated by someone who only has a pass degree. It's not fair on them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

jsmscork wrote: »
    I don't know but you should think of your prospective studnets. I certainly wouldn't be happy to have my child educated by someone who only has a pass degree. It's not fair on them at all.

What a narrow minded outlook! :confused:
    An honours degree does not equal a brilliant teacher.
    The same way a pass degree does not equal a bad teacher.
    Some of the best teachers I know have a pass degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    What a narrow minded outlook! :confused:
    An honours degree does not equal a brilliant teacher.
    The same way a pass degree does not equal a bad teacher.
    Some of the best teachers I know have a pass degree.

Absolutely, I agree. A 'good' teacher is not necessarily the one with the honours degree and there are certainly more than a fair share of poor but highly-educated teachers.

But it is not narrow-minded to suggest that a teacher should be an expert in his/her field and score better than 40%-50% in a subject he/she expects to be able to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I am optimistic

Following these posts with a similar question. I am new to this Boards thing so getting the hang of it.

I graduated with a BDes several years ago and I received a third class honours. Under the circumstances it was actually a blessing. Coming up to the end some of my work had been sabotaged and I spent the remainder of my time coming up to it making the best of what I had. By the time the year was over I didn't appeal or consider repeating as I was mentally and emotionally tired from the whole thing.

A few years after that having not pursued any personal art, I managed to gain some experience as a Secondary school teacher. By the end of the year the school had said what a fantastic job I had done. I considered going to get a HDip but always felt my mark held me back.

I went travelling.

I came back refreshed and started working on my art again. I know that the requirements for teaching in a school means having a HDip or Postgrad in Ed. It is next to impossible (as far as I can remember to get teaching experience in secondary schools) however it would be beneficial for you to apply to your local VEC's with your proposal of an art class. Send out as many as you can and luck should bring you a class that will bring you the teaching experience I know that will help you get your HDip. Also consider volunteering with a local group on a voluntary basis teaching something arts and crafts.

As for myself I am hopeful to obtain my HDip. Good Luck to you and to me as well. ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 buzzinbubbles

Thank you so much this is what I am currently doing you have been a great help.
    Good luck to you too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I am optimistic

How are getting on with your postgraduate applications? Without giving away too much info.
    I'm waiting to hear back this month. Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buzzinbubbles

hey I got a great Experience oppourtunity, which I was advised to get before re-applying for the Postgrad that I decided to take -administration work in Gallery Which I have been doing and I didnt apply this year but am hoping to apply next year I wish you all the best in your applications and please let me know how you get on. Good Luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

I wouldn't bother- there are no jobs in Ireland anyway!!
    can one apply for a h-dip with just a pass Hons in Fine Art??

Advertisement