Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it Time for the tui &co to step up?

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Chatting to a primary teacher today and her school were definitely a no. Hopefully if we can get all three teaching unions on the same page there's more likely to be a compromise reached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Chatting to a primary teacher today and her school were definitely a no. Hopefully if we can get all three teaching unions on the same page there's more likely to be a compromise reached

I cant believe the INTO, giving no recommendation and then talking up the agreement. I'd imagine that ordinary members cannot be happy with it.

You have to actually read the lrc document to see how treacherous it is. The union conferences should be interesting. Anyone going to theirs?

Can anyone go to congress or is it just reps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Each branch sends delegates but there are public sessions you can attend also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Also - you can't vote unless you're a delegate - you get a little card in TUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm going to mine tomorrow [ASTI] as a delegate.I only confirmed it to my branch last week.It seems there were loads of places left and they were crying out for people to go.One time it was really hard to get going as a delegate.Shows how much trade unionism has fallen back in this country.But I think we, as members, are the union, and it's high time to reclaim our union and make it work for us. We do far too much giving out, so time to get active.

Good to hear that INTO members are voting NO. Check out a site called cedar lounge revolution to get some sense of other public sector workers and their voting intentions.It's very much a leftie forum which I, personally,would never have been.I would always have seen myself as just left of centre.But with neo liberal politics at the fore and Labour having badly let down public sector workers,I am very much open to new ideologies.

By the way, Happy Easter to everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Most of the INTO people I've spoken to are voting no.. but I can't help but think there's a massive bunch of silent yes votes who are the second earners in a comfortable household which doesn't really need the hassle, or the money they'll lose.

I don't want this to come across as being the kind of teacher that wants the union to do everything but won't get involved. I'd actually love to go to congress and email my branch to see if there were spots. However I'm a part time teacher on full hours and still two years off my CID. Honestly, is it a silly idea? Should I just wait until I have a CID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

Musicmental im going to the TUI congress with two teachers from my school as delegates. Were all part timers (im also on full hours). All are welcome id imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

TUI are streaming some of their main speeches - which seems like a good idea for those who aren't going for one reason or another and are interested.

http://www.tui.ie/news-events/annual-congress-2013-watch-key-speeches-live.3079.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From what I recall, TUI standing orders say you have to have attended a certain number of branch meetings in the previous year to qualify as a delegate, but perhaps there are ways round that if places are not filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Trotter wrote: »
    Most of the INTO people I've spoken to are voting no.. but I can't help but think there's a massive bunch of silent yes votes who are the second earners in a comfortable household which doesn't really need the hassle, or the money they'll lose.

You could be right but I seriously hope not. Maybe a few, but surely not a massive bunch.There are less and less comfortable households in middle Ireland.The austerity agenda has seen to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I'm heading down to Galway tomorrow myself.

Afaik any member not in arrears can go but delegates are put through branches in January or February.

Good idea with the streaming. Might arouse curiosity from disaffected members.

As this discussion is likely to get busy with Asti and Into votes looming as well as conferences there is a thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056916017

For further discussion, please go there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement