Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

KJ wrote: »
    Bellusci has signed a 4 year contract today. That was a pretty quick loan spell.

Nice birthday present for him then !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Nothing likely to happen on the Adryan deal till Monday. Stumbling block at the minute seems to be Cagliari looking for money for cutting their loan deal from Flamengo short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Today we are in talks with Caspar Sloth from Aarhus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

So the squad was down with a virus all week - wonder how many will be fit and healthy for Watford! Sloth sounds like another who looks good on paper at least ... surname excepted! :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Here we go again, 1-0 Watford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Zaph wrote: »
    Here we go again, 1-0 Watford.

Best thing we can do is just analyse the individual efforts of the new lads we brought in because we know that tactically we will be beaten and that's pretty much where the game is won. From the off Austin and tonge in the midfield again in the 442 is trouble, hell probably take off Sharp and antenucci at half time.

Watford score again, but thankfully it's for us. 1-all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2-1 down again, and down to 10 men!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

2nd debut player to be sent off so far this season ??? Wtf ?!

3-1 now :(

• Advertisement

I wish I put money on Hockaday out by Septembers end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We are so foooked. And it's not even the new year slump yet.

Just the new season slump!

4th for Watford in the 90th minute and then Byram got a straight red for fighting. That's him and Bellusci out for the next 3 games I suppose. Marvellous.

Thats a shambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

watch Rhinos. you'll feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Hockaday looks set to be going according to Phil Hay. Cellino doesn't waste any time. Hard to know how today would've turned out only for the red card early on.

Mushy wrote: »
    Thats a shambles!

Maybe even omnishambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Official line from club is that Hockaday is still head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The likely sacking of the Hock after 4 games (+Accrington), speaks volumes about MC. Appointing a man who was completely unequipped tactically for the job at hand ... a small part of me feels sorry for the man

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    The likely sacking of the Hock after 4 games (+Accrington), speaks volumes about MC. Appointing a man who was completely unequipped tactically for the job at hand ... a small part of me feels sorry for the man

Yep, kinda feel the same but I also think it's good the MC has the bottle to admit he's made a mistake and look to change when many others would continue as is and hope to prove a point.

If he's gone then I've no idea who would replace him. I actually think the squad we're building is promising but will take a year to bond as they are still young.

It's hard being a Leeds fan.

DoctaDee wrote: »

I'd feel sorry for Hockaday alright, not his fault he isn't up to it. Not even going to compliment MC on effectively admitting a mistake, everyone knew it wouldn't work from the off.

MC has his phone turned off, not fielding any calls. Peter Masterton (Billy Sharp/Paddy Kenny etc agent) tweeted that he's got the chop alright.

I find it slightly ironic that it a period that has seen the greatest investment both personal and financial in the club since Risdales time, that we pull a no name give him a track suit and a group a players way above the calibre he's ever dealt with and expect the pieces to fit.

I really expect MC to open the wallet and employ a respected coach next time around.

I'd feel sorry for Hockaday alright, not his fault he isn't up to it. Not even going to compliment MC on effectively admitting a mistake, everyone knew it wouldn't work from the off.

No sympathy.

Suspect he only got the job by underbidding proper managers and brown nosing. It's like when some bunch of incompetents win a tender by putting in a crazy price, then screw it up...tough, but they only got it by screwing up the serious bidders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

When you pay peanuts...

No sympathy.

Suspect he only got the job by underbidding proper managers and brown nosing. It's like when some bunch of incompetents win a tender by putting in a crazy price, then screw it up...tough, but they only got it by screwing up the serious bidders.

He underbid or accepted a lower pay packet than actual managers? Cos I don't think you bid to be a manager/coach of a club!

I wouldn't be surprised if actual managers didn't go within an asses roar of this job when Cellino was confirmed as owner. A quick look at 1) how McDermott was treated in the leadup to his dismissal, and 2) his history at Cagliari, would show any manager worth their salt not to get involved.

The signings so far, I hope some of them come good, but it stinks of a mate helping out a friend by getting these lads onto the books of some other club in a different country. Again, what manager would go to the club knowing this would happen?

So in that sense, yes, I do have sympathy for Hockaday. He's probably the smart one, knowing he'd get a good pay packet when the inevitable occured. I doubt it very much that he is a bad guy, just got taken way above his level. Hell, I even doubt he applied, and that he was approached.

He underbid or accepted a lower pay packet than actual managers? Cos I don't think you bid to be a manager/coach of a club!.

Bid may have been the wrong word.

He took a wage package that seems far out of the norm for that division. And presumably he accepted conditions about interference that most normal managers would baulk at. It's hard to explain how he got the job otherwise, because there are more successful managers knocking about at the level he was at.

So think he in effect demeaned the job. But even if he didn't, I'm not bothered, I'd be happy to see him go just on the grounds of being way out of his depth/incompetent anyway. It's football, he knows the risks, and so even if one agrees to stick their nose up the owners arse and get paid in peanuts, they still have to show some grasp of the role.

Bid may have been the wrong word.

He took a wage package that seems far out of the norm for that division. And presumably he accepted conditions about interference that most normal managers would baulk at. It's hard to explain how he got the job otherwise, because there are more successful managers knocking about at the level he was at.

So think he in effect demeaned the job. But even if he didn't, I'm not bothered, I'd be happy to see him go just on the grounds of being way out of his depth/incompetent anyway. It's football, he knows the risks, and so even if one agrees to stick their nose up the owners arse and get paid in peanuts, they still have to show some grasp of the role.

Yeah I can agree with that alright. Still just think it's unfair to have no sympathy for him, I do think the ire of fans should be directed at Cellino.

But sure hey, McCormack moved to promotion chasing Fulham, that's working out well for him. Football eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Wow the No mark has....... well shown that he is a No Mark..............& so the Magic Roundabout starts in earnest...... remember Cellinio averages 2 & a bit managers per year. That means some years its more than 2 & other years its less. Got a feeling it will be the former.

• Advertisement

remember Cellinio averages 2 & a bit managers per year.

I think you need to remember the famous Abraham Lincloln quote about not believing everything written on the internet.

He had about 13 in nearly 9 seasons, and that doesn't mean he sacked them all. Some may have moved after better offers?

So he was sacking Hock yesterday and he's giving him another chance today. Bellusci getting the treatment from MC, "We lost yesterday because of one sht mistake from Bellusci. I see that now. I didn't see it that way yesterday"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

We've gone from having a no-mark manager to having a dead man walkng, no-mark manager. Yep MC, that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Need Gary Mac in ASAP

That's providing he'd want the job

He'd get the midfield playing again although his defensive record was a concern

Need Gary Mac in ASAP

That's providing he'd want the job

He'd get the midfield playing again although his defensive record was a concern

When Gary Mac was manager, I wonder who was the first team coach then ?

In general, coaches are an unknown group, primarily in the backround, at every club. When Eamon Dolan was linked, we were happier to see him come in because he was with a higher placed club. In another way, would we all be happier with The Hock if he was still with Watford ?

I'm all for someone with a better overall experience or track record but we may never see another profile Manager again

championc wrote: »
    When Gary Mac was manager, I wonder who was the first team coach then ?

In general, coaches are an unknown group, primarily in the backround, at every club. When Eamon Dolan was linked, we were happier to see him come in because he was with a higher placed club. In another way, would we all be happier with The Hock if he was still with Watford ?

I'm all for someone with a better overall experience or track record but we may never see another profile Manager again

We all remember Gary Mc's assistant .. da gaffer Staunton !, not sure on coach tho, possibly Redfearn or Neil Thompson ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

If MC just wants a coach instead of a manager. Id say Mike Phelan or Brian Kidd could fill that position.

I've never heard of Mick Phelan and I remember Brian Kidd as a player, but many might not recognise him either. Therefore, it somewhat proves what I'm saying about the existance of sucessful no-names.

In one sense, you have to feel somewhat sorry for some of these guys since they do a huge amount of the work but the manager gets all the credit and flak. From what I remember and believe, Warnock was hardly ever at Thorp Arch

To be fair too him, Mike Phelan isn't exactly a no-name. He was no. 2 at Old Trafford for Ferguson's last 5 years there and was a successful enough player there in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

championc wrote: »
    I've never heard of Mick Phelan and I remember Brian Kidd as a player, but many might not recognise him either. Therefore, it somewhat proves what I'm saying about the existance of sucessful no-names.

Mike Phelan - formerly of Man Utd - never heard of him? Brian Kidd, our former head coach (current Man City assistant manager) and one many blame for playing a part in our downfall from the dizzy heights of Champions League semi finals - you've only heard of him as a player? championc I can only assume you are a young un and only starting to follow Leeds - otherwise I'd suggest you need to start paying a bit more attention! :D These are two of the highest profile coaches you could possibly get - and neither would be remotely tempted to come to Leeds!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Mike Phelan - formerly of Man Utd - never heard of him? Brian Kidd, our former head coach (current Man City assistant manager) and one many blame for playing a part in our downfall from the dizzy heights of Champions League semi finals - you've only heard of him as a player? championc I can only assume you are a young un and only starting to follow Leeds - otherwise I'd suggest you need to start paying a bit more attention! :DThese are two of the highest profile coaches you could possibly get - and neither would be remotely tempted to come to Leeds!

No half decent coach would be interested in coaching Leeds for the reported £80,000 a year that Hockadaisy:o:o is on. As the saying goes you only get what you pay for.

I see Casper Sloth has been signed on a three-year contract, subject to international clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Navarre wrote: »
    No half decent coach would be interested in coaching Leeds for the reported £80,000 a year that Hockadaisy:o:o is on. As the saying goes you only get what you pay for.

I see Casper Sloth has been signed on a three-year contract, subject to international clearance.

Well to be fair he (the Hock) never even interviewed for the job either as the stories go... just for a position in the youth / reserve setup.

He was never going to say no (no matter what the money was), it will put him in the spotlight for good or for bad.

I'd say MC saw it as a punt which was worth taking as he wanted to have as much control as possible. I think any half decent coach or higher would jump at the chance to coach LUFC - the stumbling block is always going to be the interference of MC which is openly publicised and will act as a deterrent in getting a coach of the above named calibre.

My guess would be an Italian coach next that MC knows...

Good news re: Sloth, another relative unknown but at least with fee involved and international experience will add further depth to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Mike Phelan - formerly of Man Utd - never heard of him? Brian Kidd, our former head coach (current Man City assistant manager) and one many blame for playing a part in our downfall from the dizzy heights of Champions League semi finals - you've only heard of him as a player? championc I can only assume you are a young un and only starting to follow Leeds - otherwise I'd suggest you need to start paying a bit more attention! :D These are two of the highest profile coaches you could possibly get - and neither would be remotely tempted to come to Leeds!

I started supporting Leeds in or around 1976 / 77. I suppose I just proved that I really don't pay any attention to "THAT OTHER TEAM" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

For those who can't be bothered listening to 8 mins:

Adryan deal still ongoing. Sorted out the Cagliari side, now talking to Flamengo about loan deal for him with an option to buy at end of season.

Argentinian winger Lucas Castro also linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Not that I particularly want to watch, but what channel are Leeds on tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

SarahBM wrote: »
    Not that I particularly want to watch, but what channel are Leeds on tomorrow night?

Sky Sports 1 as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If we lose tonight then it surely must spell the end of The Hock. I have no idea what type of team he is going to put out but I reckon it will be a strong one since he is trying to save his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

I think he needs to drop Murph and Austin for a game or two.

I also think appointing Pearce as the captain is a mistake unless he hasn't a problem dropping his captain because the way he's being playing of late - deserves to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Looks like Warnocks getting the Palace job

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement