Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private busses clamp down on free passes?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

foggy_lad wrote: »
    edit, drug addiction is not considered a proscribed illness or a disability but the secondary conditions like depression, psychosis paranoia schizophrenia etc which addiction causes are a disability

Self-inflicted.

I don't like the idea of my tax going toward Anto having free travel so he can go and shoplift in Carlow for the day to feed his weakness without having to pay his bus fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wouldn't really hold my breath, since that article was from August 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 call the police

Polar101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really hold my breath, since that article was from August 2008.

irish time article on this on 27 august 2010: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0827/1224277687917.html

i expect the IMF will insist the new public services card is rolled out ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

irish time article on this on 27 august 2010: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0827/1224277687917.html

i expect the IMF will insist the new public services card is rolled out ASAP

To my knowledge the IMF cant "insist" or direct anything happens.

we're sailing into unknown terriority with the IMF,
    but surely anything to reduce fraud at this time is vital to us all,
    if the IMF don't insist on this, we the genuine taxpayer - commutter should insist,
    otherwise whats the point :confused:

To my knowledge the IMF cant "insist" or direct anything happens.

Mussolini made the trains run on time, but I can't see the IMF being quite that powerful! :pac:

Mussolini made the trains run on time, but I can't see the IMF being quite that powerful! :pac:

very good,
    do you know what, i'm going to buy a free travel pass, anyone know where i can get one, ?
    what characteristic should i adopt when i show it to the bus driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are days on my Dublin bus 78A when there are more people getting on with their battered piece of cardboard then people paying fares.
    And I don't mean pensioners but younger people.

It can't be sustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

i'm going to buy a free travel pass, anyone know where i can get one, ?
    what characteristic should i adopt when i show it to the bus driver

Well CtP,going on the Prime Time Investigates "How to" documentary,the best locations are Pubs in and around the Bridewell and Fruit Market area.

It appears that €100 is the going rate for a standard pass,although there may be "Special Offer" packages with a bundle of Drivers Licence/Free Travel Pass for €150.

If you contact the Prime Time Investigates production at RTE,Montrose,Donnybrook,Dublin 4 I`m sure they will forward your enquiry to the Customer Service of the enterprise concerned.

As for characteristic to be adopted...could`nt be simpler...just be in a permanent hurry,quick flash of the bit of card to the disinterested driver and your done.

It`s advisable if your a Dubliner,to get the oul Photo ID done,as it throws the REALLY proffessional Drivers off the scent.

And whatever you do,always be ready to Leg-It at a seconds notice....always have an escape route !

Mind you the above may all be superflouous in a fortnight as it appears that the DSP budget will be in for at least a 20% cut in the areas of "Additional Benefits" of which the "Free" Pass would be but one.

I would suggest that a 50c or €1 fare will be introduced for ALL DSP Free Travel Scheme mambers,as it will be cheaper than withdrawing and reissuing the actual document (Loose description :rolleyes: )

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It can't be sustainable.

Feelingstressed,It has`nt been "sustainable" for decades now.

Just a reflection of the Country`s administration as a whole really......

Free-Stuff handed out with absolutely NO ongoing monitoring or verification and even less knowledge of the actual cost of providing whatever "Stuff "was the subject of the "Scheme".

Neither the DSP or CIE or indeed any Public Transport Operator has any idea of exactly how exposed they are to providing their services free to those with "entitlement" to them.

A total and complete sham with the inevitable conclusion being the total collapse of the entire system which will see the genuine cases suffer.

The modern Republic of Ireland was run apparently along "Magic Kingdom" lines which in reality we needed a Walt Disney to preside over rather than a Bertie Aherne !!!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well CtP,going on the Prime Time Investigates "How to" documentary,the best locations are Pubs in and around the Bridewell and Fruit Market area.

It appears that €100 is the going rate for a standard pass,although there may be "Special Offer" packages with a bundle of Drivers Licence/Free Travel Pass for €150.

Mind you the above may all be superflouous in a fortnight as it appears that the DSP budget will be in for at least a 20% cut in the areas of "Additional Benefits" of which the "Free" Pass would be but one.

I would suggest that a 50c or €1 fare will be introduced for ALL DSP Free Travel Scheme mambers,as it will be cheaper than withdrawing and reissuing the actual document (Loose description :rolleyes:)

i saw that prime time show

"cheaper than withdrawing and reissuing the actual document", do you mean the public service free travel card,
    it looks like the money is already spent and those cards are ready to roll, i don't think the government will do another "electronic voting machine" job on this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...277687917.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There are probably as many parking permits forged and sold as free travel passes as every space in Irish Rail car parks seems to be occupied these days.

I always thought this disabled parking permit was only a permit and that the parking still had to be paid for except in local authority car parks?

So why do Irish Rail not clamp down on the people using disabled parking spaces free?

Advertisement