Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Mescal reveals ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wouldnt call literate undergrads abnormal... its another way of being normal.

No, but the poster I responded to said they are ‘sensitive intelligent people’ and aren’t ‘average people’. So not really ‘normal people’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

To be fair if your doing English in Trinity and your missus is doing ( I cant remember ) in Trinity , Your out look and summer holiday preferences are different to a bunch of lads doing apprenticeships working on building sites ,

That's just life,

Aaaaah, what? Students in Trinity are the same as anywhere else. Messy holidays and general youthful buffoonery are just as likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

AllForIt wrote: »
    ...something new every few days.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0727/1155675-paul-mescals-reveals-nerves-after-normal-people/

I'm sick of seeing his face to be quite frank. I didn't even watch NP but at this rate I feel like I'm living a portion of my life as his.

Danial Day Lewis never got this much media attention and I'm sorry but from the clips I've seen I don't see any Oscar nominations coming any times soon.

He's no Brad Pitt either, I mean he might get a a degree of attention in Coppers but in the grand scheme of things - slightly above average.

Fair play to him for his 'making it' an all, but jezz, we'll be reading how often he goes to the bathroom per day if this level of media attention doesn't abate.

He’s not even a typical hearttrob as per normal actor convention . Just looks normal and kinda gormless like most Irish people - more power to him by the way ! Hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of fame , but takes his craft seriously by doing stage work so he can ensure he has the skills for a long lasting career in the arts world (if such a thing exists )

The papers have spouted a lot of hyperbole and nonsense about him - well done agent

Apparently he’s a GAA star because he played on a half decent Kildare minor team - hey kudos but the journalists haven’t a scooby doo

I genuinely wish the lad the best . Ride all around him and enjoy himself

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Of my female friends, the Irish women are all like “Meh, he’s grand” and the non-Irish women are like “Schwing!”. They think he’s gorgeous whereas I feel like I’ve seen plenty of Mescals in my life.

Haha, this is true actually. I do think he's very typical-Irish-lad looking. Like you'd see one on every street corner back home. He's definitely attractive, great bod, but the level of attention he's getting seems disproportionate to that. Put him side-by-side with Clooney and Pitt and it's like...really?

American / British women do seem to have a real grá for Irish fellas though and then the brooding, vulnerable, constantly naked jock character he played probably finished off the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Reminds me of the Guardian constantly blowing their load over yer wan who done Fleabag.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the Guardian constantly blowing their load over yer wan who done Fleabag.

Ding ding ding. I said the same, that the hype reminded me of the Phoebe Waller-Bridge hype of a year or two ago. I haven’t yet watched Fleabag because I was got so goddamn sick of the fawning over Phoebe Waller-Bridge in the meeja. Hype really puts me off things. And it’s the same with Normal People. I watched a small bit of it but just got utterly fed up of hearing about it and could not bring myself to watch the rest.

In my experience, few things live up to intense hype so disappointment is almost a given.

bitofabind wrote: »
    Haha, this is true actually. I do think he's very typical-Irish-lad looking. Like you'd see one on every street corner back home. He's definitely attractive, great bod, but the level of attention he's getting seems disproportionate to that. Put him side-by-side with Clooney and Pitt and it's like...really?

American / British women do seem to have a real grá for Irish fellas though and then the brooding, vulnerable, constantly naked jock character he played probably finished off the job!

All true indeed. At least Mescal is fairly handsome though. I smile when I hear any reference to Niall Horan being good-looking. Now there’s a bog standard looking Irish guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0727/1155675-paul-mescals-reveals-nerves-after-normal-people/

I'm sick of seeing his face to be quite frank. I didn't even watch NP but at this rate I feel like I'm living a portion of my life as his.

Danial Day Lewis never got this much media attention and I'm sorry but from the clips I've seen I don't see any Oscar nominations coming any times soon.

He's no Brad Pitt either, I mean he might get a a degree of attention in Coppers but in the grand scheme of things - slightly above average.

Fair play to him for his 'making it' an all, but jezz, we'll be reading how often he goes to the bathroom per day if this level of media attention doesn't abate.

Let me explain to you about how the internet works. Every time you open one of these articles about Paul Mescals, that counts as a "click". And even if you say you didnt open the articles, you posted them here which probably led to 100's more clicks for these articles. The people running sites like the RTE entertainment section will see that articles about Paul Mescals are generating the most interest. So it's hardly surprising that they continue to write about him/Normal People when people like to are reading/sharing these articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,038 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is he in The Rolling Stones new music video?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've only read about this lad and this show. Don't watch TV here.
    Chances are this is his moment, he should make the most of it. It doesn't sound like he'll change cinema history any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Just chanced on the channel5 thing "the deceived" heavens above its cliche central

Folks what the hell is he wearing here?

Day Lewis never sought for such publicity . He’d find it ghastly

It’s the hyperbole that makes me laugh . The media , many of whom know sfa about the GAA especially underage , where telling anyone who’d listen that he was a GAA star . Lol. Yes, making minors for the county is a big deal but it doesn’t make ya a star

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

mescal represents what is lovely about decent irishmen / not the drug dealers of Love/hate. He is handsome charming and genuine. Sadly our new society finds these men fighting for their lives in a terribly changed ireland. The irish women should support their own and stop going after the exotics they wont be faithful or kind . Irish men are lovely and should be loved and respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Day Lewis never sought for such publicity . He’d find it ghastly

It’s the hyperbole that makes me laugh . The media , many of whom know sfa about the GAA especially underage , where telling anyone who’d listen that he was a GAA star . Lol. Yes, making minors for the county is a big deal but it doesn’t make ya a star
    I would say it's contractual for him to do interviews etc when promoting tv shows etc.
    I haven't seen any sign he courts publicity at all

mescal represents what is lovely about decent irishmen / not the drug dealers of Love/hate. He is handsome charming and genuine. Sadly our new society finds these men fighting for their lives in a terribly changed ireland. The irish women should support their own and stop going after the exotics they wont be faithful or kind . Irish men are lovely and should be loved and respected.

Actually the men fighting for their lives in this decade are manly rugged men who are a bit of a character and someone with their own opinions (a bit wooo , a bit waayyy - Fast Show joke) These days if they say or do anything wrong it’s cancel culture for them

Only soy boys and simps survive

Genuine ? Kinda hard to figure that out from any actor since they are playing someone else

The FNG wrote: »
    He's considered a 9/10 in Ireland...

No he isn’t! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

you can read someone by their eyes he has kind eyes there is no aggression in them. He is a normal man so rare these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

you can read someone by their eyes he has kind eyes there is no aggression in them. He is a normal man so rare these days!

A normal man?

Oh, Normal People, I see what you mean.

Jeez that's a low bar you are setting for contemporary men.

• Advertisement

To be fair if your doing English in Trinity and your missus is doing ( I cant remember ) in Trinity , Your out look and summer holiday preferences are different to a bunch of lads doing apprenticeships working on building sites ,

That's just life,

Hardly Normal People then eh? Full of sh1te of you ask me. And I actually studied in Trinity.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's not how you judge acting. Do you not think there was acting in silent films then? Have a look at the performances of old ones. Or watch The Artist for a more modern take.

He's received praise for his portrayal of a troubled person and he delivered a lot more dialogue then you said.

I thought he was excellent and his scene with the psychiatrist was powerful and showed his talent.

In silent films the actors were very expressive and there were boards explaining what they were saying. She was constantly whinging and he just brooded most of the time, expressionless. His mother was the only real character in it.

Paul Mescal has replaced Jamie Dornan as the male lead in Benjamin Millepied’s film Carmen.

The upcoming film will reimagine one of the world’s most celebrated operas under the same name, penned by Oscar-winning screenwriter Alexander Dinelaris Jr.

The Kildare native will star alongside Melissa Barrera in the flick, which is expected to begin filming in Australia in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Has Dornan been cancelled cuz of that terrible Irish accent?

He even has made it on to People's Sexiest Men Alive list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've never seen NP so have no idea about this guy but starting a thread whining about him being in the news daily is a bit disengeneous don't you think?

Guess we all got the notification

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Has Dornan been cancelled cuz of that terrible Irish accent?

Paul is a much better singer than Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So he's a new TV star in a very popular TV show that was seen in the UK
    He seems like a nice bloke
    Half the job of doing TV shows is you Have to do interviews to promote it
    Half the people on conan , late late show are there to talk about their atest TV show, movie etc
    He has a sense of humour.
    If you don't like him don't watch him.
    I don't expect foreign journalists to understand what a gaa star is. Or minors versus older players

Advertisement