Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Smith = genius

Options
  • 19-07-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭

Not a film-making genius but comic genius.

I'm sure many of you have seen his 2 evening with kevin smith DVDs (and if you haven't please please do) and they are without doubt much more entertaining (well for me) than any chris rock or bill hicks DVD.

I was at comic con last year and he was just as good in person. If anyone reads his webpage (silentbobspeaks) his smodcasts are hilarious (listened to one a few months ago and he was describing how his wife was getting ready to go out in the bathrooom and didn't have time to ****k so he eneded up just jerking off over her leg.....but the way he tells it is great, he knows he's so sad and depraved while doing it, so self-deprecating). And ive alot of respect for him after reading his 9 part story about dealing with his friends drug addiction (http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=235) it's a fascinating read.

Anyhoo I only found that site a few months ago so have a look if you're interested!

Anyone think he'd ever come over to Ireland for a Q&A?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like some of his films, but I do feel he is slightly over-rated by the hardcore View Askew fanbase. Id say about half the films Ive seen of his are periodically funny, enjoyable films, but instantly forgettable. Jersey Girl was a bit of a misfire - not really awful, but below average. Clerks is easily his best, and I must say he has failed to live up to his debut. Mallrats was so-so, Dogma probably his second best, and Clerks Two a decent return to form.

A good director, but nothing spectacular. Seems like a genuinely nice, funny guy though - really in touch with his fans and the internet community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I like smith in general, unfortunately i think his movies have become a parody of themselves a bit too much for them to be credited with any artistic merit any longer. In saying that I think clerks was class, chasing amy an under-rated flick and dogma a good romp indeed with an interested religous spin.

smith movies give jason lee a great platform to express himself, he's always enjoyable to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Kevin Smith movies Ive seen in order of preference:
    1) Dogma
    2) Clerks
    3) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    4) Clerks 2
    5) Mallrats

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Not a film-making genius but comic genius.

I'm sure many of you have seen his 2 evening with kevin smith DVDs (and if you haven't please please do) and they are without doubt much more entertaining (well for me) than any chris rock or bill hicks DVD.

I was at comic con last year and he was just as good in person. If anyone reads his webpage (silentbobspeaks) his smodcasts are hilarious (listened to one a few months ago and he was describing how his wife was getting ready to go out in the bathrooom and didn't have time to ****k so he eneded up just jerking off over her leg.....but the way he tells it is great, he knows he's so sad and depraved while doing it, so self-deprecating). And ive alot of respect for him after reading his 9 part story about dealing with his friends drug addiction (http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=235) it's a fascinating read.

Anyhoo I only found that site a few months ago so have a look if you're interested!

Anyone think he'd ever come over to Ireland for a Q&A?
    why cant i find part 2 - 9 of this story :(

not a well made website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'd rank his movies like so (or at least the ones i've seen anyway)

clerks
    mallrats
    dogma
    clerks 2
    chasing amy

I put on evening 2 but turned it off when jason mewes came on. I was bored to tears and he came across as a complete cock. I do think he's genuinely funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Sm0ke wrote:
    why cant i find part 2 - 9 of this story :(

not a well made website.

Here are the links:

http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=236
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=237
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=239
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=240
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=241
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=242
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=243
    http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=244

My favourite parts of the 1st evening DVD are the superman, 1st time he ****ed his wife and tim burton stories

In the 2nd DVD (evening harder) the toronto one isn't great but the UK one makes up for it - the 3am ***** haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

I agree his films aren't what they used to be. Clerks, Dogma and Chasing Amy are his best ones. Clerks 2 was just a bit, I don't know, too expected. Mallrats is decent as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How'd I forget about Chasing Amy? Thats his best, I would say - great rom-com altogther. Followed by Clerks, Dogma, Clerks 2, Mallrats.
    But still - genius is a rather strong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I forgot. i also saw Jersey Girl. The less said about that the better.

How'd I forget about Chasing Amy? Thats his best, I would say - great rom-com altogther. Followed by Clerks, Dogma, Clerks 2, Mallrats.
    But still - genius is a rather strong word.

I already said I don't think he's a film-making genius but comic genius as in his evening DVDs I believe are more entertaining and re-watchable than all his films put together.

I'm not that mad on his films at all, though I thought clerks 2 was his most enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I liked JaSBSB and also Dogma. Clerks is a bit meh as far as I'm concerned. Clerks 2 was a piece of ****. The porch monkey thing was the only funny part and that lasted one whole minute? Poor acting, poor script, that massively cringe worthy part
    in the jail with the horrilbly delivered speeches ( if there was a smily that was bleeding through its pores from being subjected to horrible, horrible filmmaking this is where I'd use it)
    . Jonathan Ross summed up how I felt about it. Fair play to him, plenty of people were complaining about what he said, I was nodding the whole way through his review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

For those of you who have seen the second Evening with Kevin Smith, I'm sitting front row centre, wearing a stripy shirt. He walked out, waved, and walked straight up to me and shook my hand.

Just thought y'all might like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Reynolds.irl

I'm sure many of you have seen his 2 evening with kevin smith DVDs (and if you haven't please please do)

I always meant to watch them but never got around to it, I guess I'll pick them up online during the week if they're as good as they're supposed to be. Always liked Kevin Smiths work even if he did keep casting Affleck, although Chasing Amy was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

the only director to ever make affleck watchable........hes a legend!mallrats has to be my fav of his.........jason lee,mall,kevin smith,ye cant go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I know what the OP is talking about. Im not really gone on his films, that last one, Clerks 2, was utter sh1te but damn, Smith is extremely funny doing stand up. Check out one of his live DVDs, they're way better than his films, the guy is a true comic genius on the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i actually quite liked jersey girl i have to admit.. i enjoy smiths movies, and am always changing my mind as to which is my favourite (although if i just want to laugh for an hour and a half it has to be jay and silent bob)..
    the only director to ever make affleck watchable.

i take it you havent seen hollywoodland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

not yet, been playing to though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

not yet, been playing to though :D

do, its a cracking show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Genius is hardly a word I'd use to describe him...on any front. His films are terrible and his humour is anything but funny. Once people reach a certain age, films like jay and silent bob strike back dont seem quite so funny, nor does his so called comic appeal. He seems to pander to the typical late teens/early twenties/college groups but offers very little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

He does cater to a certain audience but I happen to be in that group of people so I loved this:
    http://nothingtoxic.com/media/1186025566/Kevin_Smith_Owns_the_Hell_Out_of_Some_Retard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought Clerks 2 was excellent the Silence of the Lambs bit with Jay was brilliant as was the Star wars vs LOTR bit also the commentaries always make for entertaining listen! I think his movies appeal to the comic/film geek in all of us!

Snake ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kevin Smith is not a genius but he is a role model for many (including me). He is a talented, funny and smart (yet average) guy who has forged a very successful career doing what he loves, making funny movies with all his friends. His example is something to aspire to methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

Kevin Smith has made some entertaining enough movies, within the context of his own created universe (or Askewniverse, to the fans). His talent as a filmmaker is really unknown at the moment, as his only effort that wasn't set in his universe was a steaming pile of crap. He certainly is not a genius though. Kubrick was a genius. Scorsese is a genius. And Smith is nowhere even close to these people.

Petey2006 wrote:
    Kevin Smith has made some entertaining enough movies, within the context of his own created universe (or Askewniverse, to the fans). His talent as a filmmaker is really unknown at the moment, as his only effort that wasn't set in his universe was a steaming pile of crap. He certainly is not a genius though. Kubrick was a genius. Scorsese is a genius. And Smith is nowhere even close to these people.

Loads have people have come onto this thread discussing kevin smith the film maker - that's not the point of the thread as i said in my first post:

"Not a film-making genius but comic genius"

I'm talking about his evening with DVDs, the extras on his DVDs and some of the stuff he's written on the web

Advertisement