Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transformers Iran Insult?

• 02-08-2007 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but I'll start here anyway.

I went to see transformers last night and thought it was excellent - it went beyond my expectations and I'm already looking forward to seeing it again (LeBeouf was slightly annoying at times though).

I wanted to see what people thought of the ridiculous couple of lines midway through the film:

Inside the Pentagon the analysts are trying to determine which country could have hacked their network and one says:
    "What about Iran?"
    Another analyst replies:
    "No, it's way too smart for Iranian scientists....?"

Isn't this an incredibly dumb piece of dialogoue to stick into a massive blockbuster, considering the current state of affairs between the two countries?
    Remember the Iranian reaction to the portrayal of Persians in 300?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Erm, not really. Given that it is discussing a piece of highly advanced fictional technology, espionage agencies would probably have some awareness of the level of technology available to any notable parties.

If it were a serious thriller, then maybe it could be construed as an insult. In a popcorn flick about giant alien robots, well...I don't see how anyone could be expected to take the film seriously, never mind the dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭MrSquishSquash

Blockbusters are notorious for their brutal dialogue and imagery! Two lines hardly matters and in comparison to 300 it's a walk in the park! I mean a the old Persians got a hard going over in all fairness! :rolleyes:

To be honest, i was delighted that Michael Bay restricted himself cause i was expecting flying "Stars and Stripes" in at least half of the scenes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Dude, the script was an absolute pile of trash from beginning to end, it read like some horrible nickelodeon kids show, which might explain why half the cast was ripped off a nickelodeon set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Dude, the script was an absolute pile of trash from beginning to end, it read like some horrible nickelodeon kids show, which might explain why half the cast was ripped off a nickelodeon set!

its a movie about giant alien robots.
    i hope you didnt go expecting good dialogue? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,297 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but I'll start here anyway.

I went to see transformers last night and thought it was excellent - it went beyond my expectations and I'm already looking forward to seeing it again (LeBeouf was slightly annoying at times though).

I wanted to see what people thought of the ridiculous couple of lines midway through the film:

Inside the Pentagon the analysts are trying to determine which country could have hacked their network and one says:
    "What about Iran?"
    Another analyst replies:
    "No, it's way too smart for Iranian scientists....?"

Isn't this an incredibly dumb piece of dialogoue to stick into a massive blockbuster, considering the current state of affairs between the two countries?
    Remember the Iranian reaction to the portrayal of Persians in 300?
    wasn't there also a similar line about it being too good for China to be involved? As said previously - it was a level of hacking and coding they had never seen before - light years beyond anything, not even remotely comparable to the tech we have today. It hacked probably the most secure network in the world in 10 seconds (they mention it would take their super computers years to do it). I don't think pointing out countries that couldn't have done it (but would possibly try) in the context of the situation is off. A little too PC i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

its a movie about giant alien robots.
    i hope you didnt go expecting good dialogue? ;)

No, but i expected something good, the transformers looked pretty cool but by the end of the film i didnt care, the sheer crapness of the film overwhelmed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nbooradley

i'd like to point out something that this movie like 300 is

FICTION!

Current politics should not determine scripts for movies about what you can and cant say because guess what its not historical or factual.

anyone taking comments in a fictional movie needs to take a reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep..thought that as well...I'd say about 1% of the total budget went on the script if not less :)
    I was disappointed with the transformers themselves..
    I'd have much preferred to be someone like Cameron directing it..would definitely have been class then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ironhide wanted to kills Sam's parents...... major insult to all parents everywhere. Ban it I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

There was a what?

I thought I was just watching Giant alien robots bashing each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does this really need a thread of its own? Theres a big whopper thread dedicated to Transformers here (and a forum)

Advertisement