Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

anyone going picking the normal mushrooms :)

Options
  • 28-07-2020 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭

used to do it yrs ago and there plentyful,are the still plentyful?
    anyone still do it ?

it,s that time of the year :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It'd be another month or so before i'd be looking for them although there were some early ones a few weeks back..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

can,t bate the little cups with a wee bit of butter and salt in them,oh the juice :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stop you'll have me drooling.. Was always bemused by the fact that cattle seemed to hate them so much, would absolutely mash them into the ground

Stop you'll have me drooling.. Was always bemused by the fact that cattle seemed to hate them so much, would absolutely mash them into the ground

aye unreal and the white freshness looked so delicious,steak chips onions mushrooms tomorrow with pepper sauce :)

Ooh i have mushrooms at home, some eggs, rashers and boxty be just the job.

• Advertisement

stop this talk,to late for me to start cooking lol or should i say deep fat fryer hardly cooking lol

I'll be home around nine, thinking now that i might chill out with a nice Bassy inspired breakfast, cheers ;)

I'll be home around nine, thinking now that i might chill out with a nice Bassy inspired breakfast, cheers ;)

your more than welcome grem :)

Roll on september, i'll be out the fields collecting bags of them

Roll on september, i'll be out the fields collecting bags of them

pick the fresh white ones grem ;) cause if you pick the wrong ones then there could be a very funny meal to be had :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Have to go grazing now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I started picking shaggy inkcaps a few years ago,very tasty in a soup,not so good to fry though.
    521279.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Glad to see this thread.

My father (long dead) used to be a train driver and would often be rostered on the overnight mail train. One of my abiding childhood memories are of him arriving home around 7am, waking us all up and telling us he had spotted mushrooms blossoming in various fields along the train tracks and we'd pack up into the car with loads of shopping bags and go picking.

We'd often pick so much that we'd call into family members on the way home dropping off bags of freshly picked mushrooms.

When we'd get home we'd have the obligatory mushroom focused fry up (dipping white bread into the juice!!) and then my mother would make batches of mushroom soup which would be frozen and used over the winter.

Happy days indeed.

I've forgotten the rules of picking mushrooms but plan to go gathering with my own kids this year so hope this video is of some use to others like me who need a bit of advice or a reminder on how to do it both safely and successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

--- The Year of The Mushrooms ---

I recall one year in my teens, one field a mile from our house when crazy producing mushrooms for a forthright so. Why that field I don't know except there was sheep grazing in it unlike the surrounding fields. We took home buckets of them daily. They were the size of a closed fist upwards with pink gills. Totally delicious with a taste I can still remember, never tasted since, and can not be reproduced with anything one can buy in a supermarket.

Never seen anything like it since.

--- The End ---

Advertisement