Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 07-10-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭

I have a number of different pieces that I am looking to get rid of in my house, some I know are antiques, and worth something, others I don't know if worth anything.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get people over to the house to look at the items and value them, instead they ask me to send photos - which I can't really see how you can value something based on a photo - in one instance I was quoted €300 for an item that cost over 2k 20 years ago (for which I still have the original receipt from the antique dealer).

I really need to get rid of the furniture as it's taking up a lot of room in the house, I also have a number of different vases and other items that is taking up space.

Can anyone advise what the best course of action for me is - is there anyone that I can get out to the house, (Based in Dublin Central), or is there any fairs that maybe I could take the small items too to get valued/sell?, like wise anywhere that I could sell on the larger furniture items, or is going to auction the only option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I have tried unsuccessfully to get people over to the house to look at the items and value them, instead they ask me to send photos - which I can't really see how you can value something based on a photo

From the photos they will be able to get an idea if its worth their while calling out to view the items

- in one instance I was quoted €300 for an item that cost over 2k 20 years ago (for which I still have the original receipt from the antique dealer).

If it's brown furniture the values have plummeted in the last ten years so this is probably a realistic valuation

Can anyone advise what the best course of action for me is - is there anyone that I can get out to the house, (Based in Dublin Central), or is there any fairs that maybe I could take the small items too to get valued/sell?, like wise anywhere that I could sell on the larger furniture items, or is going to auction the only option?

At a good auction you will get what the items are really worth

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Thanks for the above, can you give me an idea of where would be seen as a good auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

What about a broker? Or is that who you refer to when you say you can't get anyone out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

gumbo1 wrote: »
    What about a broker? Or is that who you refer to when you say you can't get anyone out?

I tried a couple of auctioneers, and they just said to send on pictures. The big issue I have is that there is quite a lot of stuff, and I don't want to be take 50+ photos. I would happily pay an expert to come to my house and value the stuff, and have stated this in correspondence but to no avail.

It was mentioned that I could try a car booth sale - but again I would have no idea what value to place on the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the above, can you give me an idea of where would be seen as a good auction?

I've used Joe Mullen at Laurel Park (Bray) quite a bit. I would suggest giving him a ring and see what he says. He shifts a lot of furniture and should be able to arrange collection. Car Boot/Sales etc. would be a frustrating waste of time.

https://www.mullenslaurelpark.com

You could also have a look here as there might be someone handier for you:

https://collectireland.com/auctions-2/

• Advertisement
Advertisement