Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

world grand prix 2018

Options
  • 18-09-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

Draw

Top Half
    Michael van Gerwen (1) v Steve Lennon
    Darren Webster v Stephen Bunting
    Dave Chisnall (8) v Max Hopp
    Ricky Evans v Raymond van Barneveld
    Daryl Gurney (5) v John Henderson
    Ron Meulenkamp v Joe Cullen
    Gary Anderson (4) v Jonny Clayton
    Jeffrey de Zwaan v Kim Huybrechts
    Bottom Half
    Peter Wright (2) v Steve West
    Jermaine Wattimena v Mervyn King
    Simon Whitlock (7) v James Wilson
    Michael Smith v Adrian Lewis
    Mensur Suljovic (6) v James Wade
    Josh Payne v Ian White
    Rob Cross (3) v Steve Beaton
    Danny Noppert v Gerwyn Price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Smith v Lewis in first round, bit early for two decent players to be meeting

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Suljovic v Wade is another big first round tie. Always loads of shocks at this tournament with the double start. Unfortunately the atmosphere has totally dropped off in recent years with so many empty seats each night.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Suljovic v Wade is another big first round tie. Always loads of shocks at this tournament with the double start. Unfortunately the atmosphere has totally dropped off in recent years with so many empty seats each night.

Not a fan at all of the double start, can really distort the shape and outcome of matches.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Lennon gets a dirty draw but he is playing great latley an van Gerwen not so much. He's in Ibiza the last 3 weeks really think he's losing interest

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

enjoy everyone going this coming week great night out. 2 nights in a row in 2015 killed me (well drank so much the first night, went sober for the 2nd)

hopefully they get big crowds as if crowds keeping getting lower each year than they could move to another city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Good to have a big tournament back on.

Jeffrey played savage that first game.
    99 average double start is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

I have 6 Table tickets available for this Friday night 5th if anyone looking for any. Unfortunately can't go ourselves. Gutted to be missing it as always the best night of the week imo.

Thanks

Pretty small crowd there tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wow Rob cross out again

peteeeed wrote: »
    Wow Rob cross out again

Big shock alrit

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    Big shock alrit

Yeah with Wade and Whitlock joining him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Smith and Lewis was a very good game. That's a huge win for Lewis and will definitely get his confidence going.

The Citywest hall is so vast that the it looks like a small crowd but it was decent for a Monday night. Citywest is very awkward to get home from for a lot of people which is why the Friday night is always the most popular. They moved the final to the Saturday night because it used to be half empty when held on a Sunday because of how difficult it is to get home from the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Big shock alrit

Cross looked like he had a case of dartitis. He showed a lot of hesitance getting to the oche

Saying this every year but I'd be surprised if this event is in City West or even Ireland next year. Low crowds and the players absolutely hate the venue

Saying this every year but I'd be surprised if this event is in City West or even Ireland next year. Low crowds and the players absolutely hate the venue

Jesus pretty small and quite crowd there tonight

Its on the PDC 2019 calender as Citywest again so it won't be changed I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anybody know how strict security are on sneaking up to balcony from tables? Have two tickets for tables near the back on Saturday but a few of mine got balconies early this week and would prefer to be balcony.

Worst case scenario I can swap with somebody beforehand obvs.

On paper tonights card is weak and the crowd could be even smaller than last night

Seems like a very subdued crowd tonight!

TbL

Seems like a very subdued crowd tonight!

TbL
    Yeah it's just hard to get the crowds and atmosphere on week nights. 
    Any venue would struggle I'd imagine

Jesus Lewis is a shocking shell of the player he once was!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Anyone else hate the way price shrieks when he plays ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jesus Lewis is a shocking shell of the player he once was!

TbL

Just came on to say the same thing.

From back to back worlds and ton plus averages almost every match to his current level is baffling.

Is it all just confidence.
    He was always so natural and came so easy, would have never foreseen this drop off.

All the other major tournaments have electric atmosphere on week nights. The premier league sells out everywhere every Thursday. It's the venue. City West isnt working.

All the other major tournaments have electric atmosphere on week nights. The premier league sells out everywhere every Thursday. It's the venue. City West isnt working.
    I know the Premier League sells out every Thursday and has unbelievable atmosphere but you have to remember it has the 10 arguably of the best players in the world playing every week where as in Citywest until q-final stage and even then you have some average players. Personally I would have no interest going to see the likes of Wattimena, White, Beaton, Webster, Meulenkamp, de Swann, etc. iykwim.
    Predictiond for tonight:
    Suljovic
    Wright
    Gurney just about but could go either way
    Mighty Mike

I know the Premier League sells out every Thursday and has unbelievable atmosphere but you have to remember it has the 10 arguably of the best players in the world playing every week where as in Citywest until q-final stage and even then you have some average players. Personally I would have no interest going to see the likes of Wattimena, White, Beaton, Webster, Meulenkamp, de Swann, etc. iykwim.
    Predictiond for tonight:
    Suljovic
    Wright
    Gurney just about but could go either way
    Mighty Mike

The matchplay and the Grandslam have no problems selling tickets an atmosphere for those type of games of weekdays is my point.

The matchplay and the Grandslam have no problems selling tickets an atmosphere for those type of games of weekdays is my point.

In fairness the Citywest is a much bigger venue. The winter Gardens holds 2,813. The Wolves Civil Hall holds approx. 3,000 but the Citywest holds 4,100. The venue is too big for the week nights and as I said previously it is not in a very good location either.

I agree that the atmosphere feels flat because of the empty seats. The PDC seem to have no intention of moving it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A change of format required. Maybe make it legs rather than sets and run off fri-sun maybe even Thursday to Sunday. Keep the double in as that's what makes the tournament different.

I think the Thursday to Sunday suggestion is the way to go. Have afternoon sessions on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday which should help to get a bigger crowd to go. I like sets though, find them way more entertaining than matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think the Thursday to Sunday suggestion is the way to go. Have afternoon sessions on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday which should help to get a bigger crowd to go. I like sets though, find them way more entertaining than matchplay.

I agree about sets. Actually would probably still fit in the sets format in the way you suggested.

• Advertisement

Fully agree with you suggestion but might still struggle to get the crowd on a Sunday night

Advertisement