Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The old Savoy cinema was class

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

The new Star Wars film will apparently be the last film to be shown in Savoy 1 before they commit the sacrilegious act of breaking it up into a few different screens.

How the hell is it not considered a protected structure?

Screen 2 was broken up into a few screens recently enough also and the screens are abysmal. Soulless echo chambers with uncomfortable seats.

I know it's all been done for financial reasons but there has to be another way. These people have to be stopped.

tl;dr

THEY'RE GOING TO KILL SAVOY 1!!

The current Screen One.
    15995071_1631993903493694_1770638956414623666_o.jpg

20igljl.jpg

Screen 9 is every bit as good is just a slight bit smaller but it still has that epic feel.:D

2z6f0cp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would be great to go back in time about 200 years and have a walk around dublin

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fuora/id1159364232?mt=8

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Queued up to see many films there, including Raiders of the lost ark and ET, it was a great cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The new Star Wars film will apparently be the last film to be shown in Savoy 1 before they commit the sacrilegious act of breaking it up into a few different screens.

How the hell is it not considered a protected structure?

Screen 2 was broken up into a few screens recently enough also and the screens are abysmal. Soulless echo chambers with uncomfortable seats.

I know it's all been done for financial reasons but there has to be another way. These people have to be stopped.

tl;dr

THEY'RE GOING TO KILL SAVOY 1!!

They've been talking about it for a while now. Shocking news if they have made the decision. Any decent source for this news Pete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Although the thread relates to one iconic Dublin cinema being "modernized",there can be another way...as is being demonstrated by the Stella,Rathmines.

Couple of pals went recently and were bowled over by the experience,expensive,but on a totally different level from every other cinematic experience in Dublin.

Definitely worth checking out ?

https://stellatheatre.ie/about/

The Savoy saga is all about a corporate Easy-Way-Out....whereas the Stella appears to embody a bit more of the original Picture House ethos ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I hope the Stella thing works out. As for the Savoy, it's owners are trapped in an ever decreasing race to the bottom since Multiplexes arrived in Ireland and in particular Dublin City Centre. It had two of the best auditoriums in Ireland - Savoy 1 and 2. 2 got subdivided a couple of years ago, so it was a matter of time before they looked at screen 1. The Savoy failed miserably to market screen 1 combined with a generation that don't mind the completely sterile multiplex experience. My father has his memories of a single screen Savoy and I have mine of its fairly decent late 70s/early 80s reincarnation. Although all screens beyond 1 and 2 were awful. Thankfully I got to show my daughter a decent cinema experience in Savoy 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Although the thread relates to one iconic Dublin cinema being "modernized",there can be another way...as is being demonstrated by the Stella,Rathmines.

Couple of pals went recently and were bowled over by the experience,expensive,but on a totally different level from every other cinematic experience in Dublin.

Definitely worth checking out ?

https://stellatheatre.ie/about/

The Savoy saga is all about a corporate Easy-Way-Out....whereas the Stella appears to embody a bit more of the original Picture House ethos ?

class

might treat the missus to a night out at that

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I have had the pleasure of several years of free access to the entire building, from basements to roof and behind the scenes and it is a total maze. I even brought a manager into an area that he didn't even know about.
    What amazes me most is that it is still actually standing. A lot of the upper ffloors were in very poor condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would say the ways of stella are a better way forward for cinemas. I can't imagine multiplexes being able to sustain themselves with online movies being so popular currently. I think one or two really nice comfortable screens would have a much better profit/expense ratio for cinema owners than having 12 massive almost empty screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would say the ways of stella are a better way forward for cinemas. I can't imagine multiplexes being able to sustain themselves with online movies being so popular currently. I think one or two really nice comfortable screens would have a much better profit/expense ratio for cinema owners than having 12 massive almost empty screens

I know a couple of families that would disagree with you.
    Between them they have over 40 multi screen cinemas and appear to be doing quite well, as do the Odeon brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

People need to see Blade Runner 2049, Star Wars etc on the big screens so they aren't going anywhere. Only room for 1 niche cinema like Stella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jungleman wrote: »
    This reminded me of the Ambassador whilst it was still a cinema. Remember watching the Titanic in it, with the door to the front left being the toilets & smoking area where everyone went to during the half-way break :D

the_syco wrote: »
    This reminded me of the Ambassador whilst it was still a cinema. Remember watching the Titanic in it, with the door to the front left being the toilets & smoking area where everyone went to during the half-way break :D

That pic is the current Savoy 1 with the walls shaved a bit to fit a wider screen. Original Savoy 2 was part of the balcony. (up above the photographer) The rest of the screens were just crammed into any further space available. If screen one is sub divided, I say close the place down.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Strider wrote: »
    The one that's in town.

Ballinasloe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I understand people feeling sad at seeing a piece of history come to an end and I feel like I too should feel sad for its loss, but the reality is that I hate Savoy 1 and won't miss it in the slightest. The Ambassador on the other hand was a huge loss I think. A beautiful cinema.

I think Savoy 1 is an awful place to see a film. You can't see the bottom of the screen properly from many of the seats, you can hear noise from the toilets at the back, and the staff traipsing up and down the side aisle to go in and out a door beside the screen is head wrecking. I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.
    I don't thin I've been to the Savoy since the Ambassador closed, tbh. Went to either Cineworld or Screen cinema. Heck, I probably saw more films in the last 20 years at the Sugar Club, than I saw in the Savoy!

The main reasons were the amount of scum there seemed higher than Cineworld, and the films were at awkward times that didn't suit me. It also just looked minging.

the_syco wrote: »
    I don't thin I've been to the Savoy since the Ambassador closed, tbh. Went to either Cineworld or Screen cinema. Heck, I probably saw more films in the last 20 years at the Sugar Club, than I saw in the Savoy!

The main reasons were the amount of scum there seemed higher than Cineworld, and the films were at awkward times that didn't suit me. It also just looked minging.

That's completely the opposite to my experiences. I do go to Cineworld if it suits better but hate it. Never had any problems at the Savoy but so many visits to Cineworld ruined by scumbags left to misbehave. I always find the Savoy clean and well kept but Cineworld filthy and literally falling apart. If Cineworld was my only option I'd just stick with Vue and probably stop going regularly at all. I did like Screen but I wouldn't compare that or the likes of the Lighthouse to a big multiplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well you would have to say that O'Connell St is a mess, and Grafton St isn't. And the junkies are on O'Connell St, not on Grafton St.

O'Connell St was once the best street in the city. I wouldn't quite say its gone to ruin, but I would very definitely say that the shops there are out of kilter with the grandness of the old buildings that remain.

If today it was a street where Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton and Chanel were happy to locate shops, rather than McDonalds, Burgerking and Supermacs, you can be sure there would be far less crime on the street also.

It's the same with patrick street in cork.half the street is filled with ecig and mobile phone shops,most don't even look like legitimate businesses.north main street then in cork could possibly be the most depressing street in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well you would have to say that O'Connell St is a mess, and Grafton St isn't. And the junkies are on O'Connell St, not on Grafton St.

O'Connell St was once the best street in the city. I wouldn't quite say its gone to ruin, but I would very definitely say that the shops there are out of kilter with the grandness of the old buildings that remain.

If today it was a street where Hugo Boss, Louis Vuitton and Chanel were happy to locate shops, rather than McDonalds, Burgerking and Supermacs, you can be sure there would be far less crime on the street also.

Grafton Street has lost most of its character and just looks like any European shopping street now. I was in there on Christmas Eve and couldn't believe how unfestive it looked. Brown Thomas was the only shop who had made any real effort, and the place was full of buskers and groups singing diddley eye music instead of Christmas carols. Really dreary and disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Grafton Street has lost most of its character and just looks like any European shopping street now. I was in there on Christmas Eve and couldn't believe how unfestive it looked. Brown Thomas was the only shop who had made any real effort, and the place was full of buskers and groups singing diddley eye music instead of Christmas carols. Really dreary and disappointing.

Well..I can think of a lot of streets in dublin that need improvement before Id go changing grafton street :pac:
    Grafton streets still a nice street. It has no dereliction,its pretty clean,its very safe, it has some nice shops and buildings, it always has a buzz about it
    Makes it better than the majority of dublin streets for these reasons

What they did with the Stella would have been a real revolution at the Carlton site on O'Connell Street, but no it gets bogged down for donkeys years in a massive shopping centre debacle.

I understand people feeling sad at seeing a piece of history come to an end and I feel like I too should feel sad for its loss, but the reality is that I hate Savoy 1 and won't miss it in the slightest. The Ambassador on the other hand was a huge loss I think. A beautiful cinema.

I think Savoy 1 is an awful place to see a film. You can't see the bottom of the screen properly from many of the seats, you can hear noise from the toilets at the back, and the staff traipsing up and down the side aisle to go in and out a door beside the screen is head wrecking. I go to the Savoy about three times a month and avoid screen 1 at all costs. I even prefer Screen 9. I don't get the "might as well close it down" comments at all. There are only three big commercial multiplexes in the city centre. Odeon is not central and I find it has limited options outside blockbusters and kids films. Cineworld is well priced but very tatty and overrun with scumbags anytime I've been there.

I've been going to Savoy 1 since the late 70s and cannot agree with your opinions on it considering most of your issues with it are easily solved. The toilet issue you speak of is more a case of todays cinema goers having feck all respect. I often sat in the back row pullman seats (in the day) and had no problem with any noise from the toilets. In fact they were quite posh toilets within an auditorium for a long time! You don't see that anymore. But as you appear to be a multiplex generation type, I assume you don't mind a further sub division. The Savoy wasn't built as a multiplex and it will shortly resemble an absolute mess of a place once Screen 1 bites the dust. Sad when you consider the Foyer was restored to resemble its original design.

All that said, I'm from a Generation that first visited the Savoy just after its first sub division. It was still a great cinema then, like the Adelphi in Abbey Street and its Screen 1. Nowadays purpose built multiplexes are literally sterile joints with identical auditoriums and very average so called big screens.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've been going to Savoy 1 since the late 70s and cannot agree with your opinions on it considering most of your issues with it are easily solved. The toilet issue you speak of is more a case of todays cinema goers having feck all respect. I often sat in the back row pullman seats (in the day) and had no problem with any noise from the toilets. In fact they were quite posh toilets within an auditorium for a long time! You don't see that anymore. But as you appear to be a multiplex generation type, I assume you don't mind a further sub division. The Savoy wasn't built as a multiplex and it will shortly resemble an absolute mess of a place once Screen 1 bites the dust. Sad when you consider the Foyer was restored to resemble its original design.

All that said, I'm from a Generation that first visited the Savoy just after its first sub division. It was still a great cinema then, like the Adelphi in Abbey Street and its Screen 1. Nowadays purpose built multiplexes are literally sterile joints with identical auditoriums and very average so called big screens.

I know you mean "multiplex generation" as an insult, but really, you needn't bother. In fact the Savoy is the only multiplex I attended until Ster Century opened in Liffey Valley. I simply find the cinema experience of Screen 1 to be poor and don't remember it ever being good. I've been attending since the early 80s. I always loved the Ambassador - beautiful and a good experience. I have no particular desire to see Savoy 1 subdivided, I just won't miss it as it's an awful place to watch a film. And that's supposed to be the point of it.

I know you mean "multiplex generation" as an insult, but really, you needn't bother. In fact the Savoy is the only multiplex I attended until Ster Century opened in Liffey Valley. I simply find the cinema experience of Screen 1 to be poor and don't remember it ever being good. I've been attending since the early 80s. I always loved the Ambassador - beautiful and a good experience. I have no particular desire to see Savoy 1 subdivided, I just won't miss it as it's an awful place to watch a film. And that's supposed to be the point of it.

We'll agree to differ on our opinions in relation to screen 1 and I'll admit you are perhaps the first one I've heard that opinion from, but I must say that the phrase multiplex generation was not intended to be an insult to you or anyone else. I am merely saying that there is a large portion of our population that know nothing beyond the purpose built multiplex experience and that the Savoy 1 (our differences aside) is the last example of a large auditorium/screen still in use in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Just checked the listings there is nothing showing in screen 1 now.

Looks like the big chop is underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

smurgen wrote: »
    It's the same with patrick street in cork.half the street is filled with ecig and mobile phone shops,most don't even look like legitimate businesses.north main street then in cork could possibly be the most depressing street in ireland.

To add to the general feeling of neglect, the illuminated Xmas decorations that originally read:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS NORTH MAIN STREET
    read
    HAPPY C RI IMAS NOI H MAIN STREF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Haven't been in the Savoy in over a decade but I do remember seeing Star Wars there. Were queueing outside for so long that my brother (who was taking us) ducked into the 19 for a pint while we stood in line.
    Also saw the original trilogy back to back in the Ambassador when ROTJ came out. There was not an empty seat in that cinema that day.

s438437.jpeg

How screen 1 looks now.:mad:

s438437.jpeg

How screen 1 looks now.:mad:

That made me shed an actual tear.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I lived in Dublin in the 80s and used to go to a cinema that showed 2 main films for about £2 on a Saturday afternoon. I always thought it was the Savoy cinema but from the pictures here perhaps not. I think it might have been in Abbey St and even in those days was kind of shabby.

My best memory of a cinema was the Ambassador where I watched Predator- I sat in the front row, the screen was massive and I felt like I was in the jungle.

I lived in Dublin in the 80s and used to go to a cinema that showed 2 main films for about £2 on a Saturday afternoon. I always thought it was the Savoy cinema but from the pictures here perhaps not. I think it might have been in Abbey St and even in those days was kind of shabby.

My best memory of a cinema was the Ambassador where I watched Predator- I sat in the front row, the screen was massive and I felt like I was in the jungle.

I know for a fact that the Savoy was £2 in the very late 80s and very early 90s for an afternoon screening in all screens. The Adelphi in Abbey street may have been the same but I can't be certain. I never sat in the front row of the Ambassador except for the balcony. My parents always went up there with us. On reflection its probably because downstairs the seating was a basic rake and if you weren't near the front a childs view could be crap. Many many fond memories of the Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Im 64 and it was never like that in my experience

Advertisement