Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

People in Thurles gave up on wanting jobs a long time ago. During the recession up to 500 construction jobs could have been created building two supermarkets. Two independent retailers stopped this and are serial objectors. In fact most of Liberty Square is. It’s embarrassing that on our Main Street there’s 2 derelict premises (Apollo/Ladbrokes, pub beside Heatons) and a charity shop in what was a more upmarket premises. I had a friend visiting from the USA recently who took one look at that Tesco store and decided he didn’t want to consume anything from it. Remember the time the freezer doors wouldn’t close in it? They stopped selling frozen food for a number of days. More recently it took them months to replace the fridges at the door that stopped working. It shut for store renovations for two days a number of years ago. It was rumoured the HSE forced them to close.

At least there’s more bookmakers for the unemployed to lose their money and the more gummy mouthed beggars opening car doors of elderly looking for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

People in Thurles gave up on wanting jobs a long time ago. During the recession up to 500 construction jobs could have been created building two supermarkets. Two independent retailers stopped this and are serial objectors. In fact most of Liberty Square is. It’s embarrassing that on our Main Street there’s 2 derelict premises (Apollo/Ladbrokes, pub beside Heatons) and a charity shop in what was a more upmarket premises. I had a friend visiting from the USA recently who took one look at that Tesco store and decided he didn’t want to consume anything from it. Remember the time the freezer doors wouldn’t close in it? They stopped selling frozen food for a number of days. More recently it took them months to replace the fridges at the door that stopped working. It shut for store renovations for two days a number of years ago. It was rumoured the HSE forced them to close.

At least there’s more bookmakers for the unemployed to lose their money and the more gummy mouthed beggars opening car doors of elderly looking for €2.

Bit harsh.

By the way, did you get caught by the guy claiming to be a chef but his kitchen burnt down so now he was reduced to wandering the Square for a few days? Pretty elaborate back story as they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Sad but true Grab All.
    Empty premises are growing with the departure of Elverys and Stakelums "fashion" from the square...but sure it will all be grand when the square gets redeveloped giving the scobies more areas to destroy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

^And to think only a few years ago, Fiona Looney compared Thurles Square to Bond Street in London for its high end fashion outlets!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jooksavage wrote: »
    Bit harsh.

By the way, did you get caught by the guy claiming to be a chef but his kitchen burnt down so now he was reduced to wandering the Square for a few days? Pretty elaborate back story as they go.

He’s actually quite dangerous. I’m not going to elaborate but don’t take him for harmless, believe me he’s not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

splinter65 wrote: »
    He’s actually quite dangerous. I’m not going to elaborate but don’t take him for harmless, believe me he’s not.

Any chance of a description so we know to avoid him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

I like Thurles. The shopping centre is excellent and always has a good "Buzz" about the place. Some great shops like Stakelums Hardware on the racecourse road, and also Ronaynes hardware is very good.
    I am very reluctant to drive around the square, as it seems to be a free for all and although I have been driving for many a year, its not an ideal place to drive.

Big fine fella fantastic head of dark hair early 50s. Would be good looking if he was tidied up. May have a dog on a lead.
    Tapping young fellas for fags non stop .
    He’s great craic till he suddenly snaps. Then he’s a vicious thug. And he has the memory of an elephant even when pissed. He’s terrified some of the younger wastrels around the town . He’s wrecked all the houses he was given by the council so he’s homeless now.

Another problem in the town is the mental health service in St Mary’s drugging and dumping its patients on to the streets. A few years ago a teenager from Drombane was punched by one of them at the bus stop in the square. She was laughing with someone on the phone when one of these patients accused her of laughing at him and punched her in the face.

• Advertisement

Another problem in the town is the mental health service in St Mary’s drugging and dumping its patients on to the streets. A few years ago a teenager from Drombane was punched by one of them at the bus stop in the square. She was laughing with someone on the phone when one of these patients accused her of laughing at him and punched her in the face.

You can blame all the wooly left wing hand wringing do-gooders who wagged their fingers at the government and told them to close down all the psychiatric hospitals and let people look after themselves.
    Now we have “care in the community”. It’s a joke.

Big fine fella fantastic head of dark hair early 50s. Would be good looking if he was tidied up. May have a dog on a lead.
    He’s great craic till he suddenly snaps. Then he’s a vicious thug. And he has the memory of an elephant even when pissed. He’s terrified some of the younger wastrels around the town . He’s wrecked all the houses he was given by the council so he’s homeless now.
    Jasus I have yet to come across that gent. Sounds like I'm in for a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

anyone remember fransie . and his house on butler avenue

anyone remember fransie . and his house on butler avenue

Lord have mercy on Francie. In the end he was just standing at the trolleys outside Tesco shouting “**** off” at everyone passing.
    With his radio tuned to TippFm.

You can blame all the wooly left wing hand wringing do-gooders who wagged their fingers at the government and told them to close down all the psychiatric hospitals and let people look after themselves.
    Now we have “care in the community”. It’s a joke.

Not really the thread for this but that's not true. First of all, care in the community isn't the brainchild of "wooly left wing hand wringing do-gooders" - it's driven by volumes and volumes of medical research. Three generations of my family have worked in the psych services (mostly in Clonmel) and they all say things have improved no end in 30 years. My wife works in the community and would attest that incidents like the one above are rare. God forbid we go back to the days where we start packing away family members because "their nerves are at them".

Not really the thread for this but that's not true. First of all, care in the community isn't the brainchild of "wooly left wing hand wringing do-gooders" - it's driven by volumes and volumes of medical research. Three generations of my family have worked in the psych services (mostly in Clonmel) and they all say things have improved no end in 30 years. My wife works in the community and would attest that incidents like the one above are rare. God forbid we go back to the days where we start packing away family members because "their nerves are at them".

I’m not taliking about people who are “bad with their nerves”
    I’m talking about paranoid schizophrenics and people suffering with bi polar attending St Mary’s on a voluntary basis who may or may not be taking their meds.
    I’m talking about elderly family members of these patients being expected to have them at home.
    I’m talking about public service offices staffed with employees untrained in psychiatric nursing being treated as “drop in centers” by patients who have nowhere else to go especially in this cold weather.
    That is the reality of care in the community in Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭shmeee

He's an awful yoke, let's on he needs money as he is a chef and needs to buy ingredients.

He is always standing on side of road in square thumbing for a lift with a bag of cans. Barred from many shops in town for shop-lifting over the years.

I was at the ATM one night in Thurles lately and he came up and pissed right beside me, rotten bast**d. Pissed out of his brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

The fella wandering around the place in a leather jacket and often sporting a black eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The merger between the Thurles and Nenagh credit unions looks like happening soon

The merger between the Thurles and Nenagh credit unions looks like happening soon

In the future you will possibly see the Clonmel Credit Union merging with both of those. It would be a pity to see the credit unions all turn into another bank tbh but at least their survival is guaranteed this way.

In the future you will possibly see the Clonmel Credit Union merging with both of those. It would be a pity to see the credit unions all turn into another bank tbh but at least their survival is guaranteed this way.

Yes, that's what I think will eventually happen, all the credit unions merge into one. Leaving us with just another bank/building society.

I think Credit Unions forgot why they were originally set up and now want to compete directly with banks, instead of fulfilling their original functions

• Advertisement

Anyone think the Christmas lights will be down before Easter? 4 months up and no sign of them coming down. I'm not complaining - Iove Xmas lights and it's only a pity they didn't turn them in for the snow last week.

They left them up for 3-4 years once.

Anyone think the Christmas lights will be down before Easter? 4 months up and no sign of them coming down. I'm not complaining - Iove Xmas lights and it's only a pity they didn't turn them in for the snow last week.
    I wouldn’t imagine it’s a priority for the council this week.

They left them up for 3-4 years once.

Really? When was this? Did they just turn them on every year and they worked after sitting there for month?

Around 2007-10 I think. They were up for years. Many were broken. They eventually bought new lights.

Yes, that's what I think will eventually happen, all the credit unions merge into one. Leaving us with just another bank/building society.

I think Credit Unions forgot why they were originally set up and now want to compete directly with banks, instead of fulfilling their original functions

Any word on how the Nenagh vote went this evening?

What’s going on in the premier hall?

Not sure. Thurles vote on merger was not due to be held until Monday. Just saw on Twitter that Nenagh voted against the merger though.

Fine Gael convention.

Not sure. Thurles vote on merger was not due to be held until Monday. Just saw on Twitter that Nenagh voted against the merger though.

I think if either vote against the merger it can't happen.

I was hoping to go to the meeting, but as they are holding on it Monday I won't be able to make it.

It was decent of Nenagh to hold the meeting on a night when more people would be able to go.

• Advertisement

State of the art LIT tennis courts which I’ll be honest I can’t wait for and apparently Costcutter on Friar Street is becoming SuperValu (again) I don’t know if that’s true as I’m on holidays.

i heard about the super value thing a while back so it could be true

have they started doing the car park off the square. they were digging something there today

I preferred the L&N before Musgraves bought them out. That’s how McKevitt’ ended up with the Friar Street store. SuperValu would buy competitors and then lease/sell the stores to “franchisees”. Most recently Superquinn stores. What was very unusual was they saved SuperValu Poppyfields Clonmel but not SuperValu in Nenagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I'd be delighted to see a SuperValu go into costcutter, I had heard it was closing down so at least this will avoid another large abandoned building in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id love to see supervalu go in there too. The good supervalu stores can have a good deli and bakery counters.

Rumor has it that Heatons Elvereys and Joanne’s and Stakelums Ladies Fashions are all gone from the Sqaure.

Elverys moving to shopping centre.joannes is retirement hadnt heard about the other 2

I had to pass through Thurles today. Has anyone noticed the duck family on the mall?
    Literally the parents and their babies crossing over and back the road outside Lar na Pairce.
    Traffic had to stop and swerve them.
    They're going to get killed.

• Advertisement

Rumor has it that Heatons Elvereys and Joanne’s and Stakelums Ladies Fashions are all gone from the Sqaure.

Heatons are planning to extend the store upstairs. Most likely renamed SportsDirect. They may close temporarily as I believe there’ll be an lift installed too. Plans submitted to NTCC

Heatons are planning to extend the store upstairs. Most likely renamed SportsDirect. They may close temporarily as I believe there’ll be an lift installed too. Plans submitted to NTCC

That’s interesting. Never could stand that Heatons. Not a customer friendly place at all. Wish I could remember what was there before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

I had to pass through Thurles today. Has anyone noticed the duck family on the mall?
    Literally the parents and their babies crossing over and back the road outside Lar na Pairce.
    Traffic had to stop and swerve them.
    They're going to get killed.

You must’ve been close to me in traffic. They crossed in front of my car outside Lar an Pairce and a woman following them trying to get them off the road. And I thought it only happened in movies!

Murt102 wrote: »
    You must’ve been close to me in traffic. They crossed in front of my car outside Lar an Pairce and a woman following them trying to get them off the road. And I thought it only happened in movies!

I was visiting someone in the town and she heard they've been there a few days.
    Weird sight but still you'd be sad to see them get squashed.

That’s interesting. Never could stand that Heatons. Not a customer friendly place at all. Wish I could remember what was there before ?

Woolworths

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eye95

Whats the story with the roadworks out by Dunnes?
    How far out are they going? They seem to be stuck in the one section for the last two weeks! Traffic is a disaster.

• Advertisement

Eye95 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the roadworks out by Dunnes?
    How far out are they going? They seem to be stuck in the one sectiofor the last two weeks! Traffic is a disaster.

Not sure. But it's until the 23 may

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eye95

Not sure. But it's until the 23 may

Cutting it fine with Tipp v Cork on the 27th!

Supervalu confirmed for the old L&N.. hope it has a bakery/deli as good as the one in Grange in Cork

Gig announcement for thurles...bets on a country music gig

Supervalu confirmed for the old L&N.. hope it has a bakery/deli as good as the one in Grange in Cork

Gig announcement for thurles...bets on a country music gig

I don’t think McKevitt will be running it. I think Musgraves own that building apparently and the lease is up or something one of the workers was saying. So it’ll be SuperValu (again)

I’ll miss the “Thurles milk” branded cheddar cheese they sell there. It’s made in Newmarket Co Cork. €2.15 a block so if you haven’t tried it, it’ll probably be the last chance to in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭shmeee

I don’t think McKevitt will be running it. I think Musgraves own that building apparently and the lease is up or something one of the workers was saying. So it’ll be SuperValu (again)

I’ll miss the “Thurles milk” branded cheddar cheese they sell there. It’s made in Newmarket Co Cork. €2.15 a block so if you haven’t tried it, it’ll probably be the last chance to in the next few weeks.

McKevitts sold the premises to a franchisee from up the Country who is running it under the SuperValu Brand.

They will only onto a certain percentage of local products from small suppliers like all SuperValus do, capped at a percentage so have to pick what they want and don't want to stock anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement