Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support city centre shopping?? Not likely to do it again...

Options
  • 30-06-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Needed to do a small bit of shopping this morning and decided to support the city centre instead of going to an outlying mall.
    Drove up William Street and eureka, mid way up the street, a car pulls out and I get a handy parking spot. Great start.
    On to my ParkMagic app and I book 30 minutes parking. Excellent.
    I get delayed in a shop so I need to add 15 minutes to my parking time. So handy.
    I get back to the car with a few minutes to spare. There's a yellow ticket flapping under my windscreen wiper.
    Apparently, I'd parked in a "loading bay" which I didn't notice when the other car pulled out to let me in.
    My own fault for not noticing although I will plead that it can easily happen. I'm quite sure that dozens of drivers are ambushed every day at the same place???
    My own stupidity for not going to a shopping mall in the first instance where I'd have an abundance of free parking.
    A €40 fine for my indiscretion.
    It won't ever happen again.
    Limerick Chamber take note!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So you parked somewhere you shouldn't have parked and all of a sudden it's someone else's fault? Sorry Op, your car, your responsibility to park correctly, I'd say if you parked in a loading bay of a shopping centre you would get a larger fine than €40 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭CONSI

Wife went into town yesterday to get school books, was in town for hour and a half and car park cost 4.10...why would you bother with town anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

And yet if you'd street parked and paid with park magic it would only have cost you 1.50. Or even if you bought books in Tony Clarks they usually have a voucher for parking in Ann street car park when you buy your books. I never fail to get street parking in town. 30 mins for 50c, helping keep city centre & local shops alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Clareman wrote: »
    So you parked somewhere you shouldn't have parked and all of a sudden it's someone else's fault? Sorry Op, your car, your responsibility to park correctly, I'd say if you parked in a loading bay of a shopping centre you would get a larger fine than €40 by the way.
    I think you may be missing (or choosing to miss) the sentiment of my post.
    I inadvertently parked in a loading bay. Not deliberately. If I was intentionally parking in a no parking area, why would I bother using Park Magic?
    It was difficult to discern because I took a space as another car vacated it. I didn't notice the road markings. And, as a matter of interest, there were a number of cars parked in the same area.
    Yes. My own fault.
    Yes. I'll pay the €40 fine.
    And no, I won't be back.

Just remembered too, if you'd park in the strand hotel you get 90 mins free. Stop complaining people

• Advertisement

You didnt check the road markings or street signs, You could easily have parked in a handicapped place. You didn't check. You can't blame city centre for you own failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of signs on that street outlining loading bays so not intentionally parking in one doesn't really carry much water.

Actually on this topic I wish there was more enforcement of parking on that street. It's an absolute joke at times, lanes being blocked by lazy, ignorant drivers double parking outside Dealz or the Euro Shop while causing a bottle neck the whole way up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Just remembered too, if you'd park in the strand hotel you get 90 mins free. Stop complaining people

The strand is a bit out of the way if you have a few bags to carry, isn't that out by the maternity?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think you may be missing (or choosing to miss) the sentiment of my post.
    I inadvertently parked in a loading bay. Not deliberately. If I was intentionally parking in a no parking area, why would I bother using Park Magic?
    It was difficult to discern because I took a space as another car vacated it. I didn't notice the road markings. And, as a matter of interest, there were a number of cars parked in the same area.
    Yes. My own fault.
    Yes. I'll pay the €40 fine.
    And no, I won't be back.

You broke the law and were fined for it. It doesn't matter if you knew you were doing it or not. Or where it happened.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    The strand is a bit out of the way if you have a few bags to carry, isn't that out by the maternity?

5 min walk over the bridge from easons, o'mahoney's. Be no longer than a walk through crescent shopping centre to your car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ComfortKid wrote: »

You've to cross Sarsfield Bridge. It's not that far really.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to miss a loading bay in fairness now OP. As you said yourself "I think you may have choose to miss" the bay. ;)

It will have dotted lines along the outside, a sign to say load bay and then writing along that area of the road with "Load bay" in it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Which reminds me. I must set up a "sh*t parking" Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

seachto7 wrote: »

Theres already one running

https://www.facebook.com/pages/You-park-like-a-****-Munster/102839930047697?ref=ts&fref=ts

sorry bout the name but thats what its called...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seachto7 wrote: »

You'll only getting increased blood pressure looking at it! I sit on the 3rd floor of a building with about 20 parking spots visible, outside of doing real work like surfing boards.ie I observe. Some if it is just head shaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ann Street Car Park is a joke for prices!! Prefer to use Summer St now as I've said, its only 1.50 p/h compared to other places!

Needed to do a small bit of shopping this morning and decided to support the city centre instead of going to an outlying mall.
    Drove up William Street and eureka, mid way up the street, a car pulls out and I get a handy parking spot. Great start.
    On to my ParkMagic app and I book 30 minutes parking. Excellent.
    I get delayed in a shop so I need to add 15 minutes to my parking time. So handy.
    I get back to the car with a few minutes to spare. There's a yellow ticket flapping under my windscreen wiper.
    Apparently, I'd parked in a "loading bay" which I didn't notice when the other car pulled out to let me in.
    My own fault for not noticing although I will plead that it can easily happen. I'm quite sure that dozens of drivers are ambushed every day at the same place???
    My own stupidity for not going to a shopping mall in the first instance where I'd have an abundance of free parking.
    A €40 fine for my indiscretion.
    It won't ever happen again.

So you are refusing to support city centre shopping in future because you parked illegally in a clearly marked and sign posted loading bay and got done for it? Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:
    Limerick Chamber take note!!!

Of what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

Echo sentiments here ignorance or accident does not excuse, in fairness everybody can use that excuse.

I actually find the city center great now with michael street and being able to pay remotely and for as little as 15 mins, much better than Cork or Dublin.

Only issue I would have is why we need sooooo many taxi spaces around the town. If they opened a couple more car parking areas like Michael street on derelict sites it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Jesus Christ, this is actually a thread??
    Somebody parks in loading bay and gets a ticket, is now boycotting city centre and looking for sympathy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

I call it 'doing a liveline'.

• Advertisement

*Mod Note: Good point Swiper, "The death has occurred of thread" *

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement