Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish genealogy captcha

Options
  • 27-06-2015 11:57am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone having a problem with the captchas this morning?
    They are all unreadable on multiple computers, no matter how many times you refresh.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tried once: no problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No problem for me either GRO or Church.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

I've seen a few fuzzy Spanish words in both captchas this morning, but 'refresh' has always produced a clear numerical alternative.

I should add that in the past I've found it quite troublesome but in recent months it's been mostly clear.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Working ok here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

It goes through phases of giving strange words, rather then the usual digits, but it's always reverted back for me after a couple of refreshes.

Has anyone ever got locked out, or know how many goes or refreshes you get ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, it looks ok from home now. It was virtually unusable this morning though - words that were not obviously words in any language and even when typed correctly, not working.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

hopefully they will switch over to the new revised reCAPTCHA API, which is an updated system also by Google. Much simpler for the user most of the time - e.g. often just a single click required, or sometimes selecting from a list of similar images

353400.jpg
    353401.jpg

shanew wrote: »
    hopefully they will switch over to the new revised reCAPTCHA...

Hopefully they'll go one better and get rid of it!
    It's an absolute nuisance at times.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is needed to stop the useless clone sites that appeared for the census data

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    It is needed to stop the useless clone sites that appeared for the census data

I don't understand that L1011. Can you elaborate?

NAI, NLI, 1901/11 Census, Tithes, Wills 1858-1922 don't use it so I'm at a loss to understand why Irish Genealogy need it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hermy wrote: »
    I don't understand that L1011. Can you elaborate?

NAI, NLI, 1901/11 Census, Tithes, Wills 1858-1922 don't use it so I'm at a loss to understand why Irish Genealogy need it.

There are a vast number of websites online with really, really poor copies of the 1901/1911 census data scraped off the NAI site by bots. The captcha on the civil records makes it at least rather a lot harder for said site operators to assemble their data.

The sites with the illicitly obtained census data range from actual otherwise legit genealogy sites that didn't licence it from the NAI to "people finder" sites that don't seem to realise how useless century old data is in that case.

Advertisement