Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search for family from Kerry?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Needing help with some research on family..I am in the US and not having alot of luck with the websites available.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi mamagoose.

If you'd like to give some more deatils of who, where and when you're researching some of us might be able to help you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mamagoose

I am helping someone with a birth family search. I know from experience that its very difficult to trace families from Ireland, I found mine but it was not easy. Anyway looking for any information on Patrick and Ellen Herlihy. They were born late 1890's and married approx. 1916. They had 5 children named Patrick, Cornelius, Timothy, Mary and Annie. We believe Mary was born 1929. Patrick and Cornelius were a little older. They were from the Kerry area and were believed to be farmers. The information is not accurate but a close guess. Mary left the family and moved to England approx 1950, then onto Montreal for approx 3 years, then to Toronto Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Your dates are a little too recent for several of the usual online sources - i.e. Census returns and parish records, so you will probably have to look to civil records.

Do you know Ellen's maiden name ?

shanew wrote: »

Might be O'Keeffe.
    There's a Cornelius, Michael, Patrick and Timothy in the indexes born to a Herlihy/ O'Keeffe couple.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aherlihy~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Ao%27keeffe~&collection_id=1408347

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think I'd start by following up details for Mary - e.g. where did she marry etc. Maybe look for marriage and or death cert to see if these show parents names. Recent Certs can be difficult to obtain due to privacy laws in parts of Canada. A headstone or obit/death notice for her might show a more detailed place of origin or details of her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/c7bcf46428439

Patrick married an Ellen O'Keeffe in 1916 in Listowel district - 3 of the children are registered in Killarney but the family could easily have moved around

There is also a marriage of a Patrick Herlihy and Mary O'Keeffe in 1923 so you would need to rule that one out before assuming the 1916 marriage is yours.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Your dates are a little too recent for several of the usual online sources - i.e. Census returns and parish records, so you will probably have to look to civil records.

I dont have her maiden name..found cornelius, patrick, timothy and annie birth indexes with mothers maiden name OKeeffe..but nothing on mary

I think I'd start by following up details for Mary - e.g. where did she marry etc. Maybe look for marriage and or death cert to see if these show parents names. Recent Certs can be difficult to obtain due to privacy laws in parts of Canada. A headstone or obit/death notice for her might show a more detailed place of origin or details of her family.

We have looked everywhere for Mary which is really who we are looking for but thought if we could find other family members it would lead us to her. Did a marriage search for her in Canada and the General Registers office found nothing. According to paperwork the birth father was a Michael Kelly from Ireland but we know even less about him.

Maybe Mary married in England, or even in Ireland before she left...do you know her husband's name ?

• Advertisement

Maybe Mary married in England, or even in Ireland before she left...do you know her husband's name ?

We dont know that she married..the birth cert for the person I am helping lists Marys name as Mary Theresa Herlihy. It just seems strange that she went to Canada by herself..she had to of known someone either in Montreal or Toronto.

a little more recent than you mentioned, but might be worth making a note of based on the matching middle initial :

Name: Mary T Herlihy
    Event Type: Birth
    Quarter and Year: Jan-Mar 1934
    Registration District: Tralee
    Mother's Maiden Name: O'Connor
    Volume : 5 / Page : 393

mamagoose wrote: »
    I dont have her maiden name..found cornelius, patrick, timothy and annie birth indexes with mothers maiden name OKeeffe..but nothing on mary

Mary may not have been registered or is indexed incorrectly, or missed off the FamilySearch transcription of the BMD Index, but if you are certain of the names of her siblings and the sequence, then that's the place to start - i.e. order a couple of birth certs to confirm parents names, and find out where they lived etc

p.s. another possibility is that she's a little older than she said, so appears on the index without mother's maiden name (the FS Index only includes this from the late 1920s)

a little more recent than you mentioned, but might be worth making a note of based on the matching middle initial :

Name: Mary T Herlihy
    Event Type: Birth
    Quarter and Year: Jan-Mar 1934
    Registration District: Tralee
    Mother's Maiden Name: O'Connor
    Volume : 5 / Page : 393

We have conflicting info on the dob. There is a ships record of a Mary coming to England 1950 that shows her age 27 which would put her year of birth at 1923. Her age on the birth cert says she was 26 at the time of birth in 1955 which means she was born in 1929. See the problem lol..

We have conflicting info on the dob. There is a ships record of a Mary coming to England 1950 that shows her age 27 which would put her year of birth at 1923. ......

I'd trust the age given on the immigration record, more than on the child's birth

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes babies were registered as 'Male' or 'Female' Surname if they had not been named yet.

There are a number of possible matches closer to 1923 in various parts of Co. Kerry - one in 1924 Tralee, 1923 Killarney, 1921 Tralee, 1921 Kenmare, etc... see here

Her middle name may not be included in the civil registration.

The districts that covered Co. Kerry or parts of, included : Cahersiveen, Dingle, Glin *, Kenmare, Killarney, Listowel *, Tralee (* inc. parts of neighbouring counties)

We have conflicting info on the dob. There is a ships record of a Mary coming to England 1950 that shows her age 27 which would put her year of birth at 1923. Her age on the birth cert says she was 26 at the time of birth in 1955 which means she was born in 1929. See the problem lol..

just a query on something you mentioned here... coming to England - from where ?
    Passenger or immigration records were not kept for travel between Ireland and the UK

see it now, from Liverpool, Lancs., to Halifax dep. 24 May 1950

My friend has sent for a copy of the birth certificate from 1923 so we will have to wait and see what that one says as far as parents names..in the meantime we will just have to dig some more. I was hoping to find something even on a sibling. I have been trying Cornelius since that name didnt seem to be as common as Patrick or Timothy.

If the dates are pushed back then Cornelius could be one the ones born 1910s, or 1920s - e.g. Tralee 1915, Listowel 1927. There's also a Timothy in Tralee 1919, in Killarney 1917, Killarney 1921 etc.

A possible Mary is also listed in Tralee in 1924, another in Killarney in 1923 etc.

maybe I'm missing some detail here... but how can you be certain you are ordering the correct birth cert for your Mary without knowing a detailed location or parents names ?

• Advertisement

If the dates are pushed back then Cornelius could be one the ones born 1910s, or 1920s - e.g. Tralee 1915, Listowel 1927. There's also a Timothy in Tralee 1919, in Killarney 1917, Killarney 1921 etc.

A possible Mary is also listed in Tralee in 1924, another in Killarney in 1923 etc.

maybe I'm missing some detail here... but how can you be certain you are ordering the correct birth cert for your Mary without knowing a detailed location or parents names ?

Cant be certain but we found all the indexes on the siblings with a mothers maiden name of O Keeffe. If this birth cert shows maiden name as the same then we might be on to something. We are trying anything at this point. There is a marriage record of a Patrick Herlihy and Ellen O Keeffe from 1916. Patrick and Ellen were the names listed on the paperwork we have. Its a shot in the dark.

the problem is that for dates between about 1914 (GRO Index) and 1929 (FamilySearch) you cant see the mother's maiden name on an online index, so no way to tell mother's surname without ordering a cert. So those births I mentioned could be siblings...

the problem is that for dates between about 1914 (GRO Index) and 1929 (FamilySearch) you cant see the mother's maiden name on an online index, so no way to tell mother's surname without ordering a cert. So those births I mentioned could be siblings...

If we assume that Mary was born 1929 from the birth cert that my friend has on her birth cert, there are names of siblings born around the same time from Ancestry that have maiden names listed. We found OKeefe on all of them except Mary. There is a Mary Herlihy listed born 1929 with no maiden name, which we need to send for. I have also suggested to my friend that she registers with 23andme for DNA. At least we might find 3 or 4 th cousins and we would have something to go by.

Advertisement