Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Sauna

Options
  • 11-09-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

iv been looking to get one of these and i was looking at some prices etc has anyone here ever built one or know how to any tips etc would be appreciated im looking at spruce wood and first things i was wondering can you get the would with the rivets cut into them so you and lock them in together?

Funny one i know but id love an outdoor sauna haha

thanks

barrel-sauna-with-lounge-be.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

You'd love an outdoor sauna? Fine.

But; Does it Have to be a Bow Top style? Burton would be much simpler. Straight sides and floor.

Is there any particular reason to go for such a complicated design :confused: Just curious. I know jack about saunas.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

its literally because i like the style :) yeah i have been looking into it is there anywhere i could get the lengths of wood cut with the tongue and grooves also thanks for the replay mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I've really no idea where ye'd get such wood from, sorry.

Happens, I was watching a traditional Cooper at work on his barrels, the other day. They use chamfered wood, which they chamfer themselves, by hand.

Bow top and such wagons aren't made 'solid', like ye sauna there.

Bit terrifying, really. Would not the T's and G's have to be at a certain angle? Good luck with that! Dunno if a router could manage it? Possibly easier and cheaper than trying to find such wood.

No. I think I'd just settle for a box, myself. Though I do appreciate the aesthetics of the bow topped design. Never forgotten this gorgeous ferret cage an old mate of mine once made! :D

Bow-Top-Ferret-Cagetn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

https://saunamarketplace.com/how-to-build-a-diy-barrel-sauna-from-scratch/

Untreated spruce in Ireland without a roof? No way. And I wouldn't want a sauna made out of pressure treated wood either.

Siberian larch would probably be most cost effective if you can't stretch to cedar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

will have to be bevels the cooper do.
    Math for the angle is easy enough.
    Say 72 pieces, so 5 degrees at the apex of the triangle, so bevel will be 2.5 degrees off the vertical
    90-((180-5)/2) or just 5/2 or

Maybe on a good table saw...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Lidl had table saw's there a few weeks ago (parkside).

Would love to see build pictures if OP does go ahead with the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

thanks

I didn't until i seen that photo. Now that is simply a thing of beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi Folks,

iv been looking to get one of these and i was looking at some prices etc has anyone here ever built one or know how to any tips etc would be appreciated im looking at spruce wood and first things i was wondering can you get the would with the rivets cut into them so you and lock them in together?

thanks

I've seen similar sauna's for sale on the side of a main road near Skibbereen I think it was, they looked well made and might be worth a look.

I went for an infrared indoor one afterwards though, a great job altogether.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks for all the replies lads and ladies :) looks like ill need 2x4x8 lengths of either cedar, spruce or the siberian larch as recommended and will need to get bead and cove cuts put into them this seems like the most difficult part. now to get onto the sawmills etc and see what they can supply maybe they can do the cuts to ill keep you posted on any progress :)

I've seen similar sauna's for sale on the side of a main road near Skibbereen I think it was, they looked well made and might be worth a look.

I went for an infrared indoor one afterwards though, a great job altogether.

Yeah looked these lads up and the smallest one they do is 2.4m x 2.2m and its 6k i do not have 6k to spend on this hahaha

• Advertisement

either cedar, spruce or the siberian larch as recommended
    Not spruce! AFAIK that's what we call "white deal" here and fine for internal use but complete garbage for exposed outdoor construction.

You can play "where's wally" with this chart. :D

Source: https://www.woodworkersuk.co.uk/timber-durability/

1900-timber-durability-chart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is it just me or is that chart really irritating - what kind of cockwomble counts 1,4,3,2,5:mad:

5 past 9 on Monday morning and the week is already ruined:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah looked these lads up and the smallest one they do is 2.4m x 2.2m and its 6k i do not have 6k to spend on this hahaha

There are companies in the UK who sell flatpack barrel sauna kits, around £1500 for 2 person saunas up to £2500 for 4 person. That includes the heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There are companies in the UK who sell flatpack barrel sauna kits, around £1500 for 2 person saunas up to £2500 for 4 person. That includes the heater.

And delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That looks like the ones for sale in west Cork.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Get ye to the shopping forum! :D

they also had it on adverts and took it down :(

Muahahaha wrote: »

can show me a uk website that has one for that price???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Sauna-Barrel.html

https://www.uk-saunas.co.uk/barrel-saunas.html

Both are 4 person barrel saunas, cant comment on quality but shipping could be tricky, not impossible but would add a few hundred to the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

Hi,

Should you attempt or have build DIY sauna already, where in Ireland would you shop for timber that is suitable for use inside the sauna?
    Does it have to be thermo resistant and or treated?

Would appreciate a tip if there are any local quality suppliers, it will save me from importing.

Advertisement