Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling vs Skating

Options
  • 13-08-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Im going back to college in dublin come september and living about 20 mins away from college so was thinking of cycling it or skating it to make it easier. Im just wondering which people would find more convenient? cycling probably carries more risk since you're on the road plus the bike could be stolen, whereas skates could be harder? I really don't know I'm inexperienced but willing to give em a shot, I can kinda skate though and I also know to go to that place in templebar I was reading through previous posts.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Do you mean rollerblading or skating?

Skating isn't really a viable alternative to cycling in this country unless you're Al Collins.....
    http://vimeo.com/12202582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

rollerblading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I used to do this in Sydney, on the streets as well as indoors. But I wouldnt do it here. Roads are too poor, and when its wet you can spill badly. Stick with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Im going back to college in dublin come september and living about 20 mins away from college so was thinking of cycling it or skating it to make it easier. Im just wondering which people would find more convenient? cycling probably carries more risk since you're on the road plus the bike could be stolen, whereas skates could be harder? I really don't know I'm inexperienced but willing to give em a shot, I can kinda skate though and I also know to go to that place in templebar I was reading through previous posts.

Cheers guys

Why not buy cheap rollerblades anyway. That way you'd have the option of doing either or both. On very windy days, when it's more difficult to cycle, you might prefer to rollerblade into college. On dry, calm days you could cycle in and on very wet & windy days you could take the bus!

Some places in Dublin are quite good for rollerblading. So it depends on what your route is. I know all along Portmarnock, Clontarf and Fairview the paths are excellent for rollerblading. Equally out by Tyrrelstown, some parts of Castleknock and the Phoenix Park itself are excellent for rollerblading.

How far a distance would you have to get into college? If it's very far, I'd prefer to cycle rather than rollerblade, if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Meant to say, if you want cheap but good rollerblades, you can get Bladerunner Pro 78 ones for €110 in Skate City in Temple Bar. The exact same ones are available from Gorey-based www.wreckless.ie for €70 (excluding delivery charges), but they might not have your size in stock. I'd recommend Skate City, even thought they're slightly more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

Ya I'd literally be coming from the grand canal area straight down pearse street! I'm kinda allergic to getting a bike cos I dont want the hassle of lockin it up, id prefer to just have the skates and just fling em into the locker during the day...something tells me I'll probable end up getting the bike though

Advertisement