Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Levels??

Options
  • 07-02-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice, am a mature student wanting to apply for veterinary medicine in 2010. I want to apply to the UK colleges, and did my leaving cert 5 years ago. But i want to study 3 A2 levels.. does anyone know anything about sitting them and studying them yourself here in dublin/ireland? Or does anyone know anything about the a levels or getting in to veterinary as a mature student?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

Congrats on your decision to return to education, i did the same, it will be the best decision youve ever made!!

Do you have any experience in the area(veterinary)? The reason I ask is sometimes having experience and great interest in the area is half the battle with uk universities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Yeah I've been training as a vet nurse for the past 3 years, so am almost qualified, from UCD. And have been working full time in a practice so i have a fair bit of experience. but i've no idea where to start or what Leaving subjects i should re-do as my leaving wasn't very good!
    i emailed and rang Royal Veterinary College in London to see what I would need to do a month ago and have been waiting for a reply but none as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think you'd need A levels to get in. Most universities in the UK accept leaving cert results, and for a mature student, your job history and personal statements, would have more bearing on whether or not they accept you, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

suraheg wrote: »
    Yeah I've been training as a vet nurse for the past 3 years, so am almost qualified, from UCD. And have been working full time in a practice so i have a fair bit of experience. but i've no idea where to start or what Leaving subjects i should re-do as my leaving wasn't very good!
    i emailed and rang Royal Veterinary College in London to see what I would need to do a month ago and have been waiting for a reply but none as of yet.

I would keep ringing or try a different uni. I had the same experience in that i had trained as a pharmacutical technician and they accepted me to do pharmacy providing i had completed certain subjects in the leaving cert (Minimum c in english for example) and that I was willing to do a foundation year to bridge the gap from leaving cert to A level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

You can get A level course material from ICS (icslearn.co.uk) or Oxford Open Learning (ool.co.uk) but the actual exams have to be done in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 figor

Why are you pissing off to the mainland too?

I guess youv'e got badly burnt here!!!!

Your right
    Leaving Cert inferior. Not accepted too well eg for Med or Vet.

Most A'level boards hold exams here too

aqa.org.uk
    ccea.org.uk

I suppose you could always go 45 min up the M1 and really break out

Advertisement