Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCI changed my life.

Options
  • 09-09-2018 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

I just want to make a small post about how good NCI was for me.

I started here in September 2014. I entered here straight from school. In school I tried hard, but I hated it so much, so I didn't do well in my LC. I got 245 points, and luckily got accepted into the higher certificate in Computing, as I was around 80 points short for the main degree.

I developed a strong work ethic right away, I found programming hard, but I loved it, I came on every day without dread hanging over me like it did for 6 years in school. I had no friends in school until 6 year, and college gave me a social life.

Pre NCI I had the prospects. I was lazy, thick, shy, unsociable teenager with no prospects. My parents even said since they were worried about me, but they wanted to see would college change me. I have left this great institution as a smart, harding working confident, sociable young adult who easily got a job as a software developer. I hated life pre-nci, now post nci I'm grateful for everyday. I graduate in November and I'm going to miss this place so much. I might do a masters in a few years.

I know NCI doesn't have the best reputation. But it's only a young college, all my class mates have got jobs very easily, and it literally molded me into a completely different person. To anyone considering going here, I'd say go. You will not regret it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Deviso wrote: »
    I just want to make a small post about how good NCI was for me.

I started here in September 2014. I entered here straight from school. In school I tried hard, but I hated it so much, so I didn't do well in my LC. I got 245 points, and luckily got accepted into the higher certificate in Computing, as I was around 80 points short for the main degree.

I developed a strong work ethic right away, I found programming hard, but I loved it, I came on every day without dread hanging over me like it did for 6 years in school. I had no friends in school until 6 year, and college gave me a social life.

Pre NCI I had the prospects. I was lazy, thick, shy, unsociable teenager with no prospects. My parents even said since they were worried about me, but they wanted to see would college change me. I have left this great institution as a smart, harding working confident, sociable young adult who easily got a job as a software developer. I hated life pre-nci, now post nci I'm grateful for everyday. I graduate in November and I'm going to miss this place so much. I might do a masters in a few years.

I know NCI doesn't have the best reputation. But it's only a young college, all my class mates have got jobs very easily, and it literally molded me into a completely different person. To anyone considering going here, I'd say go. You will not regret it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of programming role did you get, are you happy with the role/wages/etc., and without being too specific, what kind of company is it? Doing the H.Dip in Computing at the moment myself and am looking forward to entering the industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

IrishKev wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of programming role did you get, are you happy with the role/wages/etc., and without being too specific, what kind of company is it? Doing the H.Dip in Computing at the moment myself and am looking forward to entering the industry.

Sorry for the late reply.

I work in a small agency. Wages aren't great, but they are going up in January. I work in a small agency, as a PHP developer. If you get job with a bigger company you will earn more than I do, easily.

I'm learning c# and plan to get a higher pain job in 2019. This was a starting point for me.

Advertisement