Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batmobile 1992

• 09-12-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone in new to boards so this is my first post hopefully of many.

I've been thinking of building the 1989/1992 bat mobile for some time and I'm just wandering is there anyone else out there in Ireland that has a bat-mobile?

Also what's the deal with insurance etc and kit cars?

My idea is to but a pre 80s VW beetle so no nct, and it's vintage, lift off the body and just use the chaise,
    Lengthen the chaise and steering rod, and then fibreglass the body around it.

Maybe use the beetle engine since it's already in the rear or use a Diesel engine ( very easy to wire up) and chop the whole front end off a mk2 golf and use the steering rack with power steering drive train and brakes with servo. Also it would add some weight to the front of the car and help with steering and driving as the car will be fairly light.

Is it still considered a kit car then?
    What about insurance?

Any input would be greatly accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Welcome corradoman :)

Sounds like an interesting project you have!!! would be an interesting thing to do and own.

In terms of registering a "kit car" or a home built car... It's actually quite difficult in Ireland. There is no set procedure for registering a kit car here. I think there still may be in the UK though. The only way you can fully legally register a home built car in Ireland is to get an IVA. this is the way it is supposed to be in any european state but as I said, I think the UK still might have an acceptation to that rule.

The problem with an IVA for most people is that the car will be a brand new car (registered 152 or whatever) and as a result of this it will need to meet all the current standards for emissions and a lot of the safety criteria too. Sit down with a cuppa (or 20 :pac:) and have a read of the 2007/46 directive.

However, You may find that there is a way around that in a semi-legal way if you can get an insurer to cover you with all the modifications made to the vehicle. This won't be perfect but I think you won't get into any trouble doing it either.

Hope that's some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 corradoman

Wow thanks For the information this is just want I was after :)

Might have to deal with FBD insurance co. I'll put a FBD sticker on it haha

Like I was wondering how limo etc get covered.

I even started to wonder if I bough an old tractor chassis and put car road tyres on it, and a different engine would it still be a "tractor" or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's the same sort of del as putting it on a classic car chassis. Basically you'll be able to get away with it (if you can work the insurance) but it's not 100% perfect. A car would be a way better platform than a tractor though. You'll want to be able to have fun driving the thing! A car will also be much safer with brakes on all wheels and proper steering and suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

All you need is a 'classic' Porsche, 924, 928, 944....whatever...... and stick a body kit on it!! :D

Porsche-Batmobile2.jpg

Seriously though, unless you're seriously compentent at metal fabrication or the likes its a serious undertaking to essentially build a car and thats not to mention the amount of loopholes and issues you'll be up against trying to get it certified/insured etc.

Why not buy a classic, pre 79 Porsche or the likes, plenty of them about and instead of chopping and trying to make the car longer concentrate on building on top of what you have, ie adding a fabricated body kit on top. Chop and lower the roof etc. I seen a Tiger Tank built on top of a Ford Transit.......anythings possible! :P

There's a lot to be said for expanding foam too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That's the most ugly piece of **** I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That's the most ugly piece of **** I've ever seen.

It's not about how it looks. It's about the work he did to it. Imagine the same work with a better design ;)

Advertisement