Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Muttley79 wrote: »
    I have to agree on most points there,dunmore has the potential to be a huge tourism spot if they built a proper pier to take in the cruise ships that stop there,Tramore could be the biggest seaside resort in the country if they invested in hotels and family things to do.the amusement park has taken over Tramore and while it is nice it’s a slight bit tacky and it only for 3 months of the summer.the Main Street in Tramore has to be the biggest run down Main Street in Ireland where a lot of buildings are gone shabby,anything good that’s proposed for Tramore always gets knocked by the same people objecting to planning.waterford,from John street to o Connell street needs a massive facelift,yeah it’s all great and good if this new north quay gets the go ahead but it wont have atmosphere in the city,as you will have to walk over a big open river to get to it.of course the whole issue with the airport and collage as a university is having a huge down effect on Waterford.you see cork Kerry and limerick all pulling together for regional development but the problem with the south east is Carlow Kilkenny and wexford align themselves to much to dublin,the south east is to broken up to come together as a region.carlow want the university status and Kilkenny talking about building an airport in the past,so not until all the south east counties unite and sees Waterford as the main driver of the region I fear Waterford is going to constantly lag behind the other cities of Ireland unfortunately

Unfortunately Waterford isn't the main driver in the SE and the others won't get behind Waterford as they can get better results for themselves short term anyway from getting behind Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where is then? Or are you suggesting there isn't a driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Where is then? Or are you suggesting there isn't a driver?

I am suggesting that Waterford is not the driver in the SE currently and i am suggesting the driver for the other places like Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford is individual advancement and currently that is tied to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

hardybuck wrote: »
    Waterford as a brand and as a product needs a lot of help. I no longer live in Waterford, but a few things strike me:

Waterford, despite being a medium sized county, does resonate with people when they ask me where I'm from.

Older folk (those in their 60s say) will mention things like the glass, the Showband era, and going on holidays to Tramore as a kid. Most of them will lament the demise of Waterford, and wonder will it ever get back.

People in their mid 30s up to 40s will remember a great night life scene, but haven't been down there in years.

People from their mid 30s down will tell you things like, 'Jesus it's awful rough down there' and tell you how much of a kip it is. Many of them will tell you they went down to Armore or Dungarvan and had a nice weekend or stag.

So, a few challenges there in terms of perception, but at least it does resonate with people more than a Louth, Laois or Westmeath.

As someone who has moved away, my wife definitely wouldn't live there. Nor would any of my brothers or sisters spouses who aren't from Waterford. One of the main reasons for that is that they are struck by how little buzz there is in town in comparison to the other cities, and even big towns. The quality of shopping isn't at all good either, and all these things are immediately visable to a visitor.

While I applaud the efforts of the Council and locals to improve the Viking Triangle and the public realm in the city centre, the subarbs are in rag order. They look run down, you can see investment hasn't been made outside of the city centre, and again that's quite apparent to someone who might be considering coming to Waterford to live.

I don't want to put anyone's noses out of joint, I'd love to see it back thriving, but it's in dire need of investment. That has to come from Government, but also from businesses (both big industry and SMEs) and consumers.

I think the fortunes of Waterford, Tramore and Dunmore are closely linked too. I can't believe that towns of the size of Tramore and Dunmore, which both rely so much on tourism, are both lacking one good quality hotel (very good four star or 5 star) in either of them. If the tourist product in both towns improves and visitors come down in bigger numbers, Waterford will benefit greatly also.

Fantastic post. Really honest. I have in laws that are not from here and when they came down first they weren't impressed by Waterford. They just say that it seems very run down. Even the areas that have been improved lately still don't have a nice feel (my opinion). They have been to Kilkenny which they think is beautiful and were pretty impressed by Dungarvan. I think it's down to the city council's.
    Kilkenny council seem to take care of the city. For example years ago Roberts square and the streets around it were improved with nice lighting and new paving but it wasn't looked after. The nice lighting in the ground went and was never replaced. The paving is damaged in areas and not repaired. It fine to spend money on improvements but it's no good if money is not allowed for the up-keep of the area.
    Also I think more pressure should be put on property owners in the city. I'm not sure if it's because of the council or the property owners but older streets with houses in Kilkenny don't look run down like they do in Waterford. Getting people to paint their properties, some flowers outside and decent footpaths and lighting would have a dramatic improvment to areas like the Manor, mayors walk, Barrack street and the dozens of older suburban streets in Waterford. I think improving the look of the city and getting people to take pride in where they live would do wonders for Waterford.

I've said before that a paint budget would make a huge difference to the centre, the other thing that would help is property owners being forced to fix up empty sites and shacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I've said before that a paint budget would make a huge difference to the centre, the other thing that would help is property owners being forced to fix up empty sites and shacks.

…..or compulsory purchase and demolish! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I was in around town today and a lovely atmosphere. Some load of rubbish being posted here by people with an agenda. Council has done huge work and almost everyone posting here has ignored demolition on North Quays and planning for new bridge etc. I was in town for almost seven hours from 12 until 6.30 and life everywhere. Really busy, really nice lunch and really good feel about the place. After the economic hit we took about eight or nine years ago a lot of effort has been made. it may or may not pay off, most of us hope it will, but it is being done. We don't need lectures from people with an obvious agenda to run the city down.There is a whole lot of trolling going on

I also recommend that people look at the SEEM report to get a wider perspective..

I totally agree. I think it's the simple things that make a huge difference. Like the Manor is a disgrace. Some paint and it would look a whole lot better. I remember the apartment block up by the mercy was really run down for years and they painted it and it made a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Have to agree with the paint. Kinsale, Kilkenny, Killarney, Galway, Dublin... These places all have very colourful shopfronts/houses + it looks great.

The council and the people in the centre only seem to like two colours, grey and brown! It is fair depressing.

I know theres a need to maintain the old style of the city but somebody should be thrown in jail for the colour they painted that redeveloped building on the corner of cathedral square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Muttley79 wrote: »
    I have to agree on most points...
    ..... lag behind the other cities of Ireland unfortunately

Punctuation... Christ!
    There's potential here for good points to be made and listened to, but less so if it's presented like that.
    A space. Or two.

Hit

The

Return

Button

Once

Or

Twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Living in cork at the mo and love that on every street there's something to do, not the same stuff either, in Waterford everything is in a litte area and it's all the same things, this needs to change. Instead of putting another ****ty bar in by the foundry put something else in there. Same with Harvey's building, an adult arcade like they have in the states would fit nice down there or a fancy restaurant. Waterford will always have potential, it will eventually get back to where it belongs. Just needs to start thinking outside the box more.

What's being done with places like the old glass factory? Risky place to do it but a big mahon point style centre would be decent there. Alot of big buildings in Waterford just sat being eye sores.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That last post shows that the SE continues to lag badly behind the rest of the country. The region needs a strong advocate for getting its fair share of investment - like a TD who actually cares about their constituency and voters and perhaps more importantly, the individual counties need to stop bickering among themselves and unite to promote the region.

There is huge untapped potential but it's not being used.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I was in around town today and a lovely atmosphere. Some load of rubbish being posted here by people with an agenda. Council has done huge work and almost everyone posting here has ignored demolition on North Quays and planning for new bridge etc. I was in town for almost seven hours from 12 until 6.30 and life everywhere. Really busy, really nice lunch and really good feel about the place. After the economic hit we took about eight or nine years ago a lot of effort has been made. it may or may not pay off, most of us hope it will, but it is being done. We don't need lectures from people with an obvious agenda to run the city down.There is a whole lot of trolling going on

I also recommend that people look at the SEEM report to get a wider perspective..

I think that is unfair. I don't have an agenda. The point being made is that yes the council are doing a good job on rejuvenating the city and the North quays is going to be great but the council is really neglecting large parts if the city. It's fine to complete these big projects but where Waterford city fails is in general upkeep. To many approach roads into the city make it feel run down because houses aren't taken care of and the council doesn't look after the paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

azimuth17 wrote: »

To be fair, I think the atmosphere in Waterford has improved, but I don't think it's fair to say that people who provide a different perspective to yours are giving lectures or have an agenda.

Actually, my colleagues would say I have an agenda, they say I should get a job in Bord Failte because I'm always telling people to go down there and visit.

One of the reasons why the buzz isn't what it used to be, particularly in bars and nightclubs, is that people have already voted with their feet for quite a number of years now. People who used to come down from South Kilkenny are staying in Kilkenny, which is absolutely hopping by the way as some people have mentioned. People from mid Waterford who used to come in are going to Dungarvan. People from New Ross are going to Wexford. I know that because I have friends and relatives in those places who have all changed their patterns. Rather than having an agenda, people have just moved on to other towns and cities.

One thing I would be keen to see is, IF, the North Quays gets developed, that retail (outside of convenience stores, pharmacy, barbers etc.) doesn't go over there. The city centre is already too spread out as it is, and they need to get even more retail, as well as a few more pubs and restaurants, in the centre.

Now that the Councils are merged, I hope that they can look at the product of Waterford, Tramore and Dunmore together. Tramore in particular needs work, and if done right could be what Salthill is to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Living in cork at the mo and love that on every street there's something to do, not the same stuff either, in Waterford everything is in a litte area and it's all the same things, this needs to change. Instead of putting another ****ty bar in by the foundry put something else in there. Same with Harvey's building, an adult arcade like they have in the states would fit nice down there or a fancy restaurant. Waterford will always have potential, it will eventually get back to where it belongs. Just needs to start thinking outside the box more.

What's being done with places like the old glass factory? Risky place to do it but a big mahon point style centre would be decent there. Alot of big buildings in Waterford just sat being eye sores.

Glass site is owned by Noel frisby and will eventually become a housing estate.... once mass building becomes profitable again!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Gavlor wrote: »
    Glass site is owned by Noel frisby and will eventually become a housing estate.... once mass building becomes profitable again!

FYI
    To be fair to Mr Frisby , he is in the final throes of having an EPA licence lifted from the site and NO planning application would be entertained whilst it is active.

FYI
    To be fair to Mr Frisby , he is in the final throes of having an EPA licence lifted from the site and NO planning application would be entertained whilst it is active.

I think that there was a lead (Pb) issue on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I think that there was a lead (Pb) issue on the site?

And a couple of other heavy metals thrown in, essentially when a licence is granted, it will not be lifted until the site is clean and verified to be so, of all contaminants whether caused by the industry or no.
    Fairly draconian but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Getting back to move positive news....

A contractor is to be appointed for the Michael Street development in mid september for demolition works to make way for the €58 million shopping centre development on the site.

914 wrote: »

A contractor is to be appointed for the Michael Street development in mid september for demolition works to make way for the €58 million shopping centre development on the site.

That is great to hear! Where's your source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nice one 914

There's that dirty word Max! 'Demolition'

What areas are going to be 'removed'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »

That is great to hear! Where's your source?

Construction Information Services

https://www.cisireland.com/project/870239/€58m-shopping-centre-demolition-works

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.cisireland.com/project/870239/%E2%82%AC58m-shopping-centre-demolition-works
    There's a link to the tender in demolition works,hopefully this is the start of it and many more developments happening in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

They broke ground on new advanced ida building today, about time i hear yeah.
    Good to see that tender link, hopefully boots on ground sooner rather than later.

This what desperately needs work - Johns Street, right off one of the main thoroughfares and a hole. Interesting though probably chance that one side of the road is so much worse than the other (not that the other is any work of art)

2JR8K.jpg

2JR8L.jpg

2JR8M.jpg

Always thought Meeting House Lane could have been a great Mews rather than a row sheds

2JR9j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

This what desperately needs work - Johns Street, right off one of the main thoroughfares and a hole. Interesting though probably chance that one side of the road is so much worse than the other (not that the other is any work of art)

2JR8K.jpg

2JR8L.jpg

2JR8M.jpg

I loved going into that sweetshop that was next door to pizza palace as a child when mass was on Sunday was over, highlight of me day. Me Nanny would buy a mixed bag of hard boiled sweets, was unreal especially the sherbet lemon and strawberry ones. The pear drops too.

Mayor's Walk 3 in 1 all empty now though the flat above the pub is still active.

2JRat.jpg

• Advertisement

Hopefully tbe Michael street development can spring a bit of life into those areas Harry as they are all fairly close by.

Advertisement