Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike track built in forest where sign says no mountain biking.

Options
  • 30-01-2019 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Was going for a walk in a local forest recently, I think it's owned by coillte or at least it has a big sign at the entrance to the marked walked with various rules including "no mountain biking, quads, horse riding" etc.

I ended up going for a walk off down an unmarked beated dirt pathway and came across an extensively designed and sculpted mountain bike track. Lots of jumps, ramps, landscaped mounds of dirt, raised wooden tracks for about 20 meters.

Seemed heavily used.

What's the craic with this? Was a bit annoyed at it to be honest. It's a protected wild life sanctuary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was going for a walk in a local forest recently, I think it's owned by coillte or at least it has a big sign at the entrance to the marked walked with various rules including "no mountain biking, quads, horse riding" etc.

I ended up going for a walk off down an unmarked beated dirt pathway and came across an extensively designed and sculpted mountain bike track. Lots of jumps, ramps, landscaped mounds of dirt, raised wooden tracks for about 20 meters.

Seemed heavily used.

What's the craic with this? Was a bit annoyed at it to be honest. It's a protected wild life sanctuary.

So went to a section of land you don't know much about or its ownership and got annoyed for what again ?

By your own admission you went off the trail somewhere else . Have you considered the sign didn't apply there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

listermint wrote: »
    So went to a section of land you don't know much about or its ownership and got annoyed for what again ?

By your own admission you went off the trail somewhere else . Have you considered the sign didn't apply there

Because it didn't appear on any official website as a listed mountain bike trail last time I searched, and the sign to the entrance of the forest literally says "no mountain biking". (the only entrance with parking)

Anyway. I did a bit more searching just there now and found a coillte 4 year plan pdf and the woods listed and the track has already been identified as causing damage to local badger population, and its working to protect them.

Just wanted to know what the general mountain bikers attitude to this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭prunudo

What annoys me more in the forests is people who drop litter and let their dogs crap everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Because it didn't appear on any official website as a listed mountain bike trail last time I searched, and the sign to the entrance of the forest literally says "no mountain biking". (the only entrance with parking)

Anyway. I did a bit more searching just there now and found a coillte 4 year plan pdf and the woods listed and the track has already been identified as causing damage to local badger population, and its working to protect them.

Usually, based on the mountain bikers I know, leave no trace, or as little disturbance as possible.

Also, one MTB trail is not reflective of the whole mountain biking community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Was going for a walk in a local forest recently, I think it's owned by coillte or at least it has a big sign at the entrance to the marked walked with various rules including "no mountain biking, quads, horse riding" etc.I ended up going for a walk off down an unmarked beated dirt pathway and came across an extensively designed and sculpted mountain bike track. Lots of jumps, ramps, landscaped mounds of dirt, raised wooden tracks for about 20 meters. Seemed heavily used.What's the craic with this? Was a bit annoyed at it to be honest. It's a protected wild life sanctuary.

Have you got a link to the location of this forest.. asking for a friend.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a wildlife sanctuary, i have zero time for anyone who would build an MTB trail through it.
    go pick on a commercial pine forest instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Someone should tell the deer, they create more trails than bikers ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

How does a track effect the local badger population ? Track shouldn't be there in the first place but the badger thing doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The badgers can go suck a lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Peter T wrote: »
    How does a track effect the local badger population ? Track shouldn't be there in the first place but the badger thing doesn't make sense to me

It may be any number of issues being caused for a local wildlife population be it disturbing natural prey or mating season/etc. The MTB advocacy group for Sheffield has held off on a particular project for the last few months due to a migratory bird species nesting nearby for example.

It can and does happen. That's not to say it necessarily is happening as I've also witnessed the bullsh1t excuses used to tear down parts of another local trail affectionately referred to as 'Wharncouver' (Wharncliffe woods) with claims of being ancient woodland being circulated into the press when the actual truth is it's modern logging forestry on what was an ancient woodland site ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What are the do's and don't's in these type of situations, in order to maintain wild life protection, I.e. what should/could be done, when building and maintaining mountain biking trails in such areas, in order maintain an adequate level of wildlife protection? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Was going for a walk in a local forest recently.......
    It's a protected wild life sanctuary.

Is it actually a protected wild life sanctuary - location please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - no locations to be given if it's an unauthorised trail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

As a concerned biker and environmentalist there's only one possible response to this kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Can't comment specifically as I don't know where you're talking about, but in general it's not strange to find mountain bike trails where there are "No Mountainbiking" signs, as Mountain biking is basically officially banned everywhere except a small handful of places.

Regarding the environmental impact, again generally it has been proven that biking has less of an impact than walking. It always amuses me when walkers grumble about the environmental impact of biking as they walk on their massive stone clad paths that are probably visible from space. Most clandestine bike trails would probably disappear within a few months if they were no longer ridden.

Can't comment specifically as I don't know where you're talking about, but in general it's not strange to find mountain bike trails where there are "No Mountainbiking" signs, as Mountain biking is basically officially banned everywhere except a small handful of places.

Regarding the environmental impact, again generally it has been proven that biking has less of an impact than walking. It always amuses me when walkers grumble about the environmental impact of biking as they walk on their massive stone clad paths that are probably visible from space. Most clandestine bike trails would probably disappear within a few months if they were no longer ridden.

im obviously not a part of the 'general understanding', but by whos account has this been proven?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Peter T wrote: »
    How does a track effect the local badger population ?
    Bike envy, obviously. I mean have you ever seen a badger with a nice mountain bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Is this area on South Tipp by any chance?
    Any trail builders I know create as little disturbance as possible, I'd also be genuinely interested to see how a singletrack can effect the badger population

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im obviously not a part of the 'general understanding', but by whos account has this been proven?

I presume the poster means walking paths that are put in, as in not natural desire lines made just by large footfall rather council made paths with gravel, tar etc. and in this regard, they would be right but that is comparing Apples with Oranges.

As for off road, unofficial walking paths, compared to unofficial biking trails, I imagine the damage they do, other than visual is quite minimal, both would disappear without incidence in less than a year if left to their own devices with no affect to the environment.

As for the affect on animal populations, it is impossible to say without more info but unless under heavy use and in close proximity, it is hard to say .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

There have been studies done that conclude that walkers do more damage to a trail as they tend to go to lengths to avoid puddles or wet patches, thereby widening the trials to a much greater extent than a biker would. If you go hiking a lot you'll regularly see evidence of this. Then of course there are the aforementioned walkers trails that have been constructed from massive stone slabs and/or gravel. These scar the landscape to a far far greater degree than any natural mountain bike trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There have been studies done that conclude that walkers do more damage to a trail as they tend to go to lengths to avoid puddles or wet patches, thereby widening the trials to a much greater extent than a biker would.

This can be seen on the likes of Djouce and Maulin, the rocky paths are gradually getting wider and wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Quite a lot of research if you Google it!
    Most mountain-bike trails are very narrow and tend to follow the natural terrain. If they are left unridden they disappear within a short space of time.

There have been studies done that conclude that walkers do more damage to a trail as they tend to go to lengths to avoid puddles or wet patches, thereby widening the trials to a much greater extent than a biker would. If you go hiking a lot you'll regularly see evidence of this. Then of course there are the aforementioned walkers trails that have been constructed from massive stone slabs and/or gravel. These scar the landscape to a far far greater degree than any natural mountain bike trail.

im both a walker and mountain biker, and also a mountain bike trail builder, unfortunately us humans have a tenancy to create 'proof' to verify our actions from time to time, even though im not dismissing your statements above at all, a balanced approach is required, as im of the opinion, humans currently cannot exist on this planet without having some sort of negative impact on it.

i think its very important not to create an element of contention amongst other users of these environments, we should be listening to their concerns, and them ours, and come to some sort of agreements. im under no illusion of the damage i have, and continue to create via my activities, but im very willing to listen to others concerns, to hopefully implement changes in my approaches to these activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id imagine the majority of the trails in Ireland are kept low key, and officially "not sanctioned but allowed by coilte regional managers" so as not to draw attention. realistically how many people know of this trail? It would need a fairly massive number of riders to be doing any real damage to the environment.

btw fcuk badgers, those tb infested feckers :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

id imagine the majority of the trails in Ireland are kept low key, and officially "not sanctioned but allowed by coilte regional managers" so as not to draw attention. realistically how many people know of this trail? It would need a fairly massive number of riders to be doing any real damage to the environment.

btw fcuk badgers, those tb infested feckers :D

F*ck cows, giving badgers a bad name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

...fcuk badgers...
    CramCycle wrote: »
    F*ck cows...

What you two get up to in your spare time belongs on a different forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Its been a while since I've seen the sign but I passed a Coillte generic one in Ticknock last night...(no mountain biking, etc etc)
    Opposite the picnic table at the top of the tarmac path on the right hand side....
    I dont know the names of the segments.....

Its been a while since I've seen the sign but I passed a Coillte generic one in Ticknock last night...(no mountain biking, etc etc)
    Opposite the picnic table at the top of the tarmac path on the right hand side....
    I dont know the names of the segments.....

I've seen a sign in a forest local to me saying no mountain biking. Had a Coillte logo but was printed on laminated a4 page, looked like it could have been placed by 'concerned forest user' rather than an official sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

jvan wrote: »
    I've seen a sign in a forest local to me saying no mountain biking. Had a Coillte logo but was printed on laminated a4 page, looked like it could have been placed by 'concerned forest user' rather than an official sign.

I saw this at a certain EWS venue (not mentioning any place names!)

• Advertisement

gnarbarian wrote: »
    I saw this at a certain EWS venue (not mentioning any place names!)

Prefered the other photo :D

Probably see 50% of those rules broken every time i go to the woods!

Advertisement