Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred

Options
  • 16-11-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I love the way this simple advice is really the only solution to ending the vicious circle of hate for one's fellow man that is so deeply rooted in so many communities world wide today.

'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me' - in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.
    'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me' - in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.
    For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time - this is an old rule.

Dhammapada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Very nice.

This one also: "Hating someone is like taking poison every day expecting the hated one to be poisoned"

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for that, very similar meaning but more succinct!

Can anyone talk to me here about forgiveness in Buddhism?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

pueblo wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for that, very similar meaning but more succinct!

Can anyone talk to me here about forgiveness in Buddhism?

Thanks

I would imagine 'forgiveness' is included as the third part of the four noble truths.i.e. one lets go of ones lust for craving for revenge etc.
    When one abides uninflamed by lust, unfettered, uninfatuated, contemplating danger [...] one's craving [...] is abandoned. One's bodily and mental troubles are abandoned, one's bodily and mental torments are abandoned, one's bodily and mental fevers are abandoned, and one experiences bodily and mental pleasure
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths

Thanks for that Joe1919

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Forgivness is the opposite of hatred.
    Hatred is a negative emotion, a cause of future suffering. If you want to reduce future suffering, remove hatred. That's kind of what the Four Noble Truths says.

You hate someone because you see they have harmed you or might harm you in future. So there are different ways of looking at this.

One way is to see this other person as under the control of negative emotions which cause him to harm you. It isn't the person themselves that is the cause of harm. If the were truely wise, they would see that harming you would bring greater harm to themselves in future. In the Bodhycharyavatara, Shantideva says, if someone hits you with a stick, you don't get angry with the stick. Likewise the person harming you is like the stick while his negative emotions are the person weilding the stick.

So rather than hatred for one who harms, you could have compassion, seeing that they harm themselves more and this is all because they do not realise what they are doing. You can still try to avoid the harm but drop the hatred.

Another way of looking is to consider how we are impermenant, transitory, interdependant etc. We think we are this person, but that is not entirely correct. We grasp on to this idea of who we are and when harm comes, not only do we feel any physical pain but we heap on a load of extra emotional suffering that is based on the grasping to this identity. This causes us to lash out at the perceived enemy. We don't see that a lot of the perception of enemy is internally manufactured. We solidify the self and create the causes of future perceptions of solid self along with the negative emotions and negative actions that go with that. So the cycle contines.

So, if hatred itself is the real enemy, then whatever we can do to defeat this enemy inside is to our long term benefit. Forgiveness is letting go of the perceived external enemy. When we let go of the external object, then the negative emotion doesn't have a target and it dissolves.

Compassion is another aspect of that antidote to anger and hatred.

The Lojong (mind training) teachings in Tibetan Buddhism focus on these kind of ways of reversing our normal responses.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to analyse this and it can be explored in great depth.

• Advertisement

bou wrote: »
    Forgivness is the opposite of hatred.
    Hatred is a negative emotion, a cause of future suffering. If you want to reduce future suffering, remove hatred. That's kind of what the Four Noble Truths says.

You hate someone because you see they have harmed you or might harm you in future. So there are different ways of looking at this.

One way is to see this other person as under the control of negative emotions which cause him to harm you. It isn't the person themselves that is the cause of harm. If the were truely wise, they would see that harming you would bring greater harm to themselves in future. In the Bodhycharyavatara, Shantideva says, if someone hits you with a stick, you don't get angry with the stick. Likewise the person harming you is like the stick while his negative emotions are the person weilding the stick.

So rather than hatred for one who harms, you could have compassion, seeing that they harm themselves more and this is all because they do not realise what they are doing. You can still try to avoid the harm but drop the hatred.

Another way of looking is to consider how we are impermenant, transitory, interdependant etc. We think we are this person, but that is not entirely correct. We grasp on to this idea of who we are and when harm comes, not only do we feel any physical pain but we heap on a load of extra emotional suffering that is based on the grasping to this identity. This causes us to lash out at the perceived enemy. We don't see that a lot of the perception of enemy is internally manufactured. We solidify the self and create the causes of future perceptions of solid self along with the negative emotions and negative actions that go with that. So the cycle contines.

So, if hatred itself is the real enemy, then whatever we can do to defeat this enemy inside is to our long term benefit. Forgiveness is letting go of the perceived external enemy. When we let go of the external object, then the negative emotion doesn't have a target and it dissolves.

Compassion is another aspect of that antidote to anger and hatred.

The Lojong (mind training) teachings in Tibetan Buddhism focus on these kind of ways of reversing our normal responses.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to analyse this and it can be explored in great depth.

Well put Bou, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Another thing I've been thinking in relation to this.

Anger and hatred often seem very big and solid. Unchangeable, almost.

But, when I'm aware of how I react to all the little things in life, I can see a lot of tiny moments of dissatisfaction, frustration, annoyance, envy, jealousy. And always, associated with those little sufferings is someone or something to be blamed. It could be someone I really don't like much, but more often it's people I'm close to or myself that are the target of blame. It's whoever my whim decides should be blamed. Often, I blame someone and then later see that it was myself that was the one 'at fault'.

Every day, lots and lots of tiny moments of frustration and irritation. And someone to be blamed. I guess a notion of enemy sometimes gathers together from lots of little thoughts, feelings, memories.

If I can untangle myself a bit from the little moments of projecting blame this way and that and try to be with the situation in a more open way, then I'm not adding to the ideas that make 'enemy' and give rise to hatred.

Maybe then, the big solid unchanging enemy will be less so. Maybe also, I can be a bit kinder to myself when things don't go as imagined.

A little less annoyance. A little more understanding.

bou wrote: »
    Another thing I've been thinking in relation to this.

Anger and hatred often seem very big and solid. Unchangeable, almost.

But, when I'm aware of how I react to all the little things in life, I can see a lot of tiny moments of dissatisfaction, frustration, annoyance, envy, jealousy. And always, associated with those little sufferings is someone or something to be blamed. It could be someone I really don't like much, but more often it's people I'm close to or myself that are the target of blame. It's whoever my whim decides should be blamed. Often, I blame someone and then later see that it was myself that was the one 'at fault'.

Every day, lots and lots of tiny moments of frustration and irritation. And someone to be blamed. I guess a notion of enemy sometimes gathers together from lots of little thoughts, feelings, memories.

If I can untangle myself a bit from the little moments of projecting blame this way and that and try to be with the situation in a more open way, then I'm not adding to the ideas that make 'enemy' and give rise to hatred.

Maybe then, the big solid unchanging enemy will be less so. Maybe also, I can be a bit kinder to myself when things don't go as imagined.

A little less annoyance. A little more understanding.

I agree with you about the 'micro-moments', they can all stack up to make us 'the way we are'.

Always good to be a bit kinder to yourself too!

Advertisement