Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st floor extension-PP needed?

Options
  • 03-03-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,
    Similar issue but not quite the same...
    I have a terraced house with small ground floor extension at the back. Both my neighbors have extensions built as well but one of them built a double story one years ago.
    I was wondering if I could go for adding 1st floor to only part of my extension (extending bathroom) and attach it to the neighbors dbl story extension side wall without planning permission?
    I would keep 2 m distance from other neighbor and all other restrictions in relation to building without PP would be ticked off in my case:
    - less than 12 sqm
    - total extension area less than 40 sqm
    - 2 m away from neighbour (with GF extension) - no overlooking issue here
    - over 12 m to back garden wall, so window available
    - no higher than roof line
    Would highly appreciate all comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

On the face of it you may be exempt but you need someone on the ground to advice accurately. Windows have to be 11m from the boundary the face also.

Gumbo wrote: »
    On the face of it you may be exempt but you need someone on the ground to advice accurately.

How do you figure? I was under the impression that anything above ground floor needs PP, regardless of use, size, etc.?

How do you figure? I was under the impression that anything above ground floor needs PP, regardless of use, size, etc.?

Your allowed 12 Sq. M upstairs in a terrace house and 20 Sq. M upstairs in a detached house. These figures come out of the 40 total. So I’m theory you can do 28 down stairs and 12 upstairs, but.

The upstairs must be 2m from the boundary in all directions. Windows need to be 11m from the boundary’s they face.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eastrader

Gumbo wrote: »
    On the face of it you may be exempt but you need someone on the ground to advice accurately. Windows have to be 11m from the boundary the face also.

thanks, would you know who would be best suited to do it?

• Advertisement

eastrader wrote: »
    thanks, would you know who would be best suited to do it?

Depends on location?
    Architect, engineer, surveyor, technician, someone with experience of the Planning requirements and drawing.

Advertisement