Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land rental prices 2021

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    Some valid points but you're taking some in the wrong direction this time around I think. It is a combination of an taisce upping their game and glanbia not being prepared enough. No matter when its produced we will still e exporting the majority and that means only a limited amount will be fresh products so assuming the price should be lower due to the peak is wrong imo.
    The taisce issue is a smoke screen for Glanbia they knew (the dogs on the street did)that the surge was coming they weren’t prepared .the surge will stay coming due to maturing herds and more but slower expansion over next few years ,its Glanbia problem today but every coop is facing this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Are you just going to take the hit on any milk over your reference year, lads need to be very careful thinking it will be just a 30% hit that will be the minimum, it could well be a 100% penalty our more in the peak may/June periods if other processors don’t take glanbias excess supply

No I'm strongly considering starting breeding on the 1st days of April which would be 3 weeks earlier for us
    It would bring our peak back into early April instead if late April early may
    Some guys on wetter land might consider going a month later with breeding

That alone would help flatten the cure

Like most weve borrowed, to go back in cow numbers would hit us alot financially
    To not incur a fine we would possibly have to not serve our heifers

Whats your suggestion as to what we should do

It's also the end of any winter milk and liquid milk scheme if guys go towards autumn calving which still won't sort out your peak, autumn calved cows milk well into the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Are you just going to take the hit on any milk over your reference year, lads need to be very careful thinking it will be just a 30% hit that will be the minimum, it could well be a 100% penalty our more in the peak may/June periods if other processors don’t take glanbias excess supply

Arrabawn atm and I suggest atm are one of only coops with spare capacity at peak but that will change quickly unless things change .lads need to be prepaired to step back from all the Tegasc spoof and do what’s right on there farm not what very general research says they forgot about the calves and encouraged lads and still do to stay producing milk at same model

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mooooo wrote: »
    Some valid points but you're taking some in the wrong direction this time around I think. It is a combination of an taisce upping their game and glanbia not being prepared enough. No matter when its produced we will still e exporting the majority and that means only a limited amount will be fresh products so assuming the price should be lower due to the peak is wrong imo.

The issue is peak supply, taking Belview as a case study the two original 7.5 ton dryers and all other supporting plant cost 185 million to build with the capacity to process 2.5 million liters of peak milk a day our 125,000 average cows doing circa 25 liters a day, it cost 1500 euro a cow to put the peak capacity in place, our 30 cent a liter

No I'm strongly considering starting breeding on the 1st days of April which would be 3 weeks earlier for us
    It would bring our peak back into early April instead if late April early may
    Some guys on wetter land might consider going a month later with breeding

That alone would help flatten the cure

Like most weve borrowed, to go back in cow numbers would hit us alot financially
    To not incur a fine we would possibly have to not serve our heifers

Whats your suggestion as to what we should do

It's also the end of any winter milk and liquid milk scheme if guys go towards autumn calving which still won't sort out your peak, autumn calved cows milk well into the summer

Match your supply profile to your reference quota, accounting for a maturing herd and milk to calves instead of powder, and any cows going to be surplus calve these ladies middle of June into July, obviously you dont want to be milking year round our rearing calves into the summer so calving earlier is your only real option, but a late wet spring will mean your going to need a serious bank of quality feed in the yard to keep your earlier calving cows motoring if you can't get to grass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is it just Glanbia, is this set in stone yet

Just glanbia at the moment, as far as I know all suppliers will receive letters with the details and reference litres over the next week or 2.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/peak-supply-management-policy-to-be-introduced-at-glanbia-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just glanbia at the moment, as far as I know all suppliers will receive letters with the details and reference litres over the next week or 2.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/peak-supply-management-policy-to-be-introduced-at-glanbia-ireland

This will put a cap on the rental hikes in areas. Some lads might be in bother now if they took land at high rates for long periods last year if they are now going to be capped

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could glanbia not be doing something with their other plants, not relying on bellview?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    This will put a cap on the rental hikes in areas. Some lads might be in bother now if they took land at high rates for long periods last year if they are now going to be capped

Dont worry I'm sure glanbia will help them out with high milk prices......not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Match your supply profile to your reference quota, accounting for a maturing herd and milk to calves instead of powder, and any cows going to be surplus calve these ladies middle of June into July, obviously you dont want to be milking year round our rearing calves into the summer so calving earlier is your only real option, but a late wet spring will mean your going to need a serious bank of quality feed in the yard to keep your earlier calving cows motoring if you can't get to grass...

Would be okay feed wise, have silage left over and should make a decent wedge of good stuff this year if it's a good year
    Spreading silage fert atm actually, aim to cut the week of the 10th of May
    Have the option to buy maize also

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »

Going to be a very interesting test case for the glanbia msa near us where a farm was bought to convert to dairying last year to compliment the other 3 units, letter of the law according to glanbia msa milk from this new farm will have to go to them, but owners are under the impression they will be allowed to supply another co-op, if they are it sets a precedent and the msa isn't binding

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

As a Dub who just happened upon this thread and would not know a heifer from a rooster potato, I find this discussion interesting hence, I have a few questions so don't laugh.
    When you say 300/450 rental/lease per acre, Is that per year ?
    Is rental/leased land auctioned like selling land and it goes to the highest bidder ?
    How long does a cow give milk for after calving ?
    Does A I operate on a no calf no fee basis ? and cost per cow ?
    How many litres per week would you get from a good milker ?
    Do you only get 30c per litre and what happened to the price when quotas were lifted a few years ago ?
    That's it for the moment, Anyone ? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Ish66 wrote: »
    As a Dub who just happened upon this thread and would not know a heifer from a rooster potato, I find this discussion interesting hence, I have a few questions so don't laugh.
    When you say 300/450 rental/lease per acre, Is that per year ?
    Is rental/leased land auctioned like selling land and it goes to the highest bidder ?
    How long does a cow give milk for after calving ?
    Does A I operate on a no calf no fee basis ? and cost per cow ?
    How many litres per week would you get from a good milker ?
    Do you only get 30c per litre and what happened to the price when quotas were lifted a few years ago ?
    That's it for the moment, Anyone ? Thank you.

Yes it’s a yearly rate.
    An auctioneer usually handles the lease if goes to whoever the land owner allows not necessarily the highest bidder.
    A cow milks for 10 months after calving when she’s dried off for 2 months but you can also keep a cow that fails to go back incalf milking for 2 lactations eg. If she called I’m February you wouldn’t dry her off but milk through the winter to keep her milking the following summer and dry her off in November.
    No AI is charged every time the cow is inseminated whether the cow goes incalf ir not.
    A good milker would milk 30-40 litres a day at peak which is usually during May around 5000 to 7000 litres a year.
    The price is based on protein and fat percentage of the milk flat rate is currently 34c a litre. The later the lactation the less a cow will milk and the solids go higher.
    The price remained around he same when quotas went.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yes it’s a yearly rate.
    An auctioneer usually handles the lease if goes to whoever the land owner allows not necessarily the highest bidder.
    A cow milks for 10 months after calving when she’s dried off for 2 months but you can also keep a cow that fails to go back incalf milking for 2 lactations eg. If she called I’m February you wouldn’t dry her off but milk through the winter to keep her milking the following summer and dry her off in November.
    No AI is charged every time the cow is inseminated whether the cow goes incalf ir not.
    A good milker would milk 30-40 litres a day at peak which is usually during May around 5000 to 7000 litres a year.
    The price is based on protein and fat percentage of the milk flat rate is currently 34c a litre. The later the lactation the less a cow will milk and the solids go higher.
    The price remained around he same when quotas went.
    In plain English too, All you forgot is cost of AI per cow. Does the cost go up if you get the semen from the Messi or Ronaldo of bulls ? I thank you for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Ish66 wrote: »
    In plain English too, All you forgot is cost of AI per cow. Does the cost go up if you get the semen from the Messi or Ronaldo of bulls ? I thank you for taking the time.

Dairy bulls (friesian) are dearer around €35 Including visit and straw(semen) you could pay more for the better bulls, beef bulls ( Angus. Hereford, etc) are around €26. Years ago a repeat was free but a third call was charged, they were the good old days. They also have sexed semen that will result with female calves for the dairy herd but it’s around €70 a straw and also has a lower conception rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

K.G. wrote: »
    Whats fertilised ground for 1 cut making

I’d be interested to know this too. A neighbour approached me about taking 10 acres off him for two cuts of silage. Neither of us knew what it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’d be interested to know this too. A neighbour approached me about taking 10 acres off him for two cuts of silage. Neither of us knew what it is worth.

You also need to know a few other things. The main one is how much is it worth to you and do you really need it. Loads of excess good quality bales around. Most can be bought for 18-20/ bale plus transportation.

Fertlizer depends on the amount of fertlizer put on it. To grow a crop of silage you need 100 units N, 30 units P and 100 units if K. If you were using artificial fertlizer it would cost 100/ acre to put in all that fertlizer. Most lads that fertlize silage ground to lease do not spread that amount of it. Many think 3-4 bags of 18-6-12 is adequate. A lot of silage ground is inadequacy fertlizer unless the owners have access to slurry or digestate.

The critical thing is what is it worth to you.. poorly fertlized ground will no give you a decent crop the end of May. If you pay 150/ acre it is costing 17.50/ bale before you add in any other cost.

Given the choice between buying bales and renting land I be buying bales

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You also need to know a few other things. The main one is how much is it worth to you and do you really need it. Loads of excess good quality bales around. Most can be bought for 18-20/ bale plus transportation.

Fertlizer depends on the amount of fertlizer put on it. To grow a crop of silage you need 100 units N, 30 units P and 100 units if K. If you were using artificial fertlizer it would cost 100/ acre to put in all that fertlizer. Most lads that fertlize silage ground to lease do not spread that amount of it. Many think 3-4 bags of 18-6-12 is adequate. A lot of silage ground is inadequacy fertlizer unless the owners have access to slurry or digestate.

The critical thing is what is it worth to you.. poorly fertlized ground will no give you a decent crop the end of May. If you pay 150/ acre it is costing 17.50/ bale before you add in any other cost.

Given the choice between buying bales and renting land I be buying bales
    You’ve a valid point
    Concern I’d have with buying bales is sometimes the bales are made late June when there’s a big crop and could of been inadequately fertilised
    Poor quality silage needs meal to compensate for growing stock
    When renting you can cut at the right stage

You’ve a valid point
    Concern I’d have with buying bales is sometimes the bales are made late June when there’s a big crop and could of been inadequately fertilised
    Poor quality silage needs meal to compensate for growing stock
    When renting you can cut at the right stage

I agree with that. However if you check around you will find lads that make fairly decent silage. Having said all that if you pay 180/ acre for first cut its over 20/bale adding in plastic and baling as well as transport it up on 35+/ bale. If you can get decent bales onto the yard for 23-25/ bale you are looking at a difference of 10-12+/ bale on 10 acres that is about 1k or 3.5 ton of ration if you fed that ration it would replace bales. That is equivalent to 12-15 bales you do not or over another ton of ration.

Taking everything into account if buy at sub 25 and paying 180/ for fertlizer first cut on 10 acres you could afford 5 ton of ration. It just put it in perspective

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Normally 100 first cut and 60-70 second around here. U feet yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Is one cut unfertilised sileage taken better or worst than 1st or 2nd cut fertilised land. Reason I ask is I am restoring some meadows so am dropping the fertility. Wondering if the sileage taken at end of summer is any good?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Is one cut unfertilised sileage taken better or worst than 1st or 2nd cut fertilised land. Reason I ask is I am restoring some meadows so am dropping the fertility. Wondering if the sileage taken at end of summer is any good?

Silage growing all season will be stemmy and a lot of regrowths in it. If cut at the end of the summer it will be low DMD it might be ok for Suckler cows but even they might need a kg or two of ration with it.

If you want to drop the fertility take 2-3 cuts just use N. This will draw P and K out of the ground. N is used up by growth

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Silage growing all season will be stemmy and a lot of regrowths in it. If cut at the end of the summer it will be low DMD it might be ok for Suckler cows but even they might need a kg or two of ration with it.

If you want to drop the fertility take 2-3 cuts just use N. This will draw P and K out of the ground. N is used up by growth

Thanks. But I am guessing if I have a 3-4 year timeline to reduce fertility , is my current strategy sound and more cost effective? ( given the low demand for sileage)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Thanks. But I am guessing if I have a 3-4 year timeline to reduce fertility , is my current strategy sound and more cost effective? ( given the low demand for sileage)

Hay might be a better option if it could be saved in late June or early July. Then take silage I. September. Using N will draw more p and k out of the ground than not using it. Economics are struggling with either proposal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Normally 100 first cut and 60-70 second around here. U feet yourself

I’m renting land for the year for 150 so was thinking 80 would be plenty for an early first cut.

Advertisement