Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land rental prices 2021

Options
  • 03-03-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

I am prompted to start this after a local land auction of 52 acres. The holding is split by a road, with 22 acres over the road of top quality ground and 30 under it with 12 very good and 18 being poor to very poor.
    The 22 best acres was leased at €450/ac. by a local beef farmer.
    The 30 of varying quality was leased between a local dairy farmer and two local beef farmers, split 10 acres each at €330/ac.

This is in the North Wexford area. What stories of madness are out there from the rest of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

€450 is not bad money. Could you get me their phone number.........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

At work I'd be in the minority in that I haven't land taken "up the country" and therefore I'd be oblivious to what conacre was making most year's. This year the market seems to have reached a new peak at least from listening to those more in the know than myself. A local man who operates buying quality heifers to sell as suckler springers is supposed to be the current highest bidder on 30 acres around Roscommon town at €10,000.

There was 19 acres of fair quality ground set not that far from me at €7000 recently to a suckler man. My thinking was it would do very well to feed 10 cows and calves for the summer. If you were able to sell 10 average weanlings off it they'd hardly gross much more than €700 apiece and pay for the land, all other costs and supposedly have something for yourself. It's madness imo and you'd be long better off stacking shelves in any supermarket.

I heard of 65 acres of a mountain that was set for €3000 to an adjoining sheep farmer for the last long number of years. The auctioneer approached him in recent weeks asking would he be able to give more and the farmer replied that he couldn't make anything off it and was thinking of giving it up. It subsequently went to public auction last week and finished at €9000. It's not that many year's ago since €450 an acre would make a good start in repaying for purchased land never mind rented ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Grueller wrote: »
    I am prompted to start this after a local land auction of 52 acres. The holding is split by a road, with 22 acres over the road of top quality ground and 30 under it with 12 very good and 18 being poor to very poor.
    The 30 of varying quality was leased between a local dairy farmer and two local beef farmers, split 10 acres each at €330/ac.

This is in the North Wexford area. What stories of madness are out there from the rest of the country?

How reliable are those figures Grueller?

You know yourself everyone loves to tell a good story, and sometimes things get inflated in the telling of a story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ferns?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I expect that a lot of these lads are gambling on ending up with the BPS on these farms........and have mixed up BPS is paid / HA they are renting by the acre.

They are going to be busy fools

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

This reminds me at the height of the last boom about 2007 a lad into horses took a bit of a farm next to me. He took it on a five year lease about 25 acres at 300/ acre. He went in and fenced it for horses two strands of one of wire and one of white rope. The briars were out 5'-8' from the ditches. He never cut them back before fencing. He was gone out of it at the end of the 5 years. The briars were growing through and over the fences. The horse game collapsed in 2009/10

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I have rarely seen these high price leases to end well

K.G. wrote: »
    I have rarely seen these high price leases to end well

Not beef ones anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

How reliable are those figures Grueller?

You know yourself everyone loves to tell a good story, and sometimes things get inflated in the telling of a story...

I know both parties in the deal well and also the runner up. Figures are reliable.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Ferns?

No. Kilanerin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

You cant be far away from me so crazy

No. Kilanerin

Further north that me so....... a large farm nearby was 430 last Friday 480 yesterday but whether it will actually be paid for the duration of the lease is hard to know...

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Further north that me so....... a large farm nearby was 430 last Friday 480 yesterday but whether it will actually be paid for the duration of the lease is hard to know...

What parish is that farm grassroot?

What parish is that farm grassroot?

Oulart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have good silage ground rented beside me for 150. It’s heavy land but I’m getting 3 cuts off it and a couple of grazings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Are there entitlements with these rented as well that people are hoping they'll keep or is something else going on? I dunno, €450 an acre is just crazy money regardless of beef/dairy/tillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

This reminds me at the height of the last boom about 2007 a lad into horses took a bit of a farm next to me. He took it on a five year lease about 25 acres at 300/ acre. He went in and fenced it for horses two strands of one of wire and one of white rope. The briars were out 5'-8' from the ditches. He never cut them back before fencing. He was gone out of it at the end of the 5 years. The briars were growing through and over the fences. The horse game collapsed in 2009/10

Horse men running ground up into massive money here
    450 an ac plus entitlements
    No land around making less than 300, and its not dairy farmers
    Sizable block 3.5 miles away gone for 525 an ac for 3 years
    Spuds one year and grain of some form then after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have good silage ground rented beside me for 150. It’s heavy land but I’m getting 3 cuts off it and a couple of grazings.
    Same as yourself, I’ve a block of heavy land rented, no issue getting 3 cuts and a few grazings, I actually let a group of 12 month olds out on it Saturday last. €190 an acre plus SFP and it’s enough, if not too much, to be giving. I dunno how anyone in any type of farm enterprise can justify some of the costs quoted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

DBK1 wrote: »
    Same as yourself, I’ve a block of heavy land rented, no issue getting 3 cuts and a few grazings, I actually let a group of 12 month olds out on it Saturday last. €190 an acre plus SFP and it’s enough, if not too much, to be giving. I dunno how anyone in any type of farm enterprise can justify some of the costs quoted here.

Sheep man given 300 around here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Horse men running ground up into massive money here
    450 an ac plus entitlements
    No land around making less than 300, and its not dairy farmers
    Sizable block 3.5 miles away gone for 525 an ac for 3 years
    Spuds one year and grain of some form then after
    You’d be as well buying it at that price.

• Advertisement

Shhh don't tell them that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

3300 for 16 acres in four mile house Roscommon for a very open, average bit of ground and the leaser had to qualify for tax exemption also heard of 350 an acre for 40 acres in rathowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,145 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye a lad down your way told me of that last week. Some pain for 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,145 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Years ago there was kind of an auction for letting land. An elderly farmer was letting his land. Spud men were on crazy money for it. The farmer stood up and said I'm only renting it not selling....

grassroot1 wrote: »

Heard today that the hammer fell on this one at €500/ac. Mad money altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

FFS

at that money you would be better off buying

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

How long is the lease for?

Stupid money to be giving but as the saying goes “fools and their money are easily parted”.

at that money you would be better off buying

Land in that area of that quality sells for €17-€22k per acre at the moment. Be better off in a job and forgetting about farming at those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's potato money. Or farmer with solar panels investing again.

Advertisement