Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruella

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bnt wrote: »
    I ended up wondering what could have changed in Cruella between the end of this film and the start of the original book. In that she's a maniac obsessed with fur, even marrying a furrier just to get direct access to his fur inventory. At that point, to her, the puppies are merely a source of fur to be exploited. Jasper and Horace are happy to follow her orders. We know she didn't kill the three Dalmatians she kidnapped for fur, this time, that's the best we can say.

I really enjoyed the film and I had the very same thought!

Her character at the end of this movie would have you wondering how she turned into the monster who skins puppies alive in the original film. In fact, this Cruella appears to be very enamoured of dogs, not someone who would ever conceive of doing such a barbaric thing.

It was the the one jarring aspect of the plot for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm not really a Disney fan. Even spotted the Joe Dolan song in the middle of it which was a surprise.

I enjoyed it also, a tad too long and was surprised to hear Good Looking Woman by Joe

Both Emmas did well, hamming it up ott but played off each other brilliantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I enjoyed it myself aswell, the performances from the main two the obvious high point. The writing was fairly flawed and minutes were wasted here and there that would have been best edited away. The false reveal of her
    wearing dogs
    in particular was a severe bum note.

The soundtrack was neat enough for the most part, pity though it signed off with Sympathy for the De vil :rolleyes: given the premise of the film I'd say I'm not the only one who upon the opening notes drew comparisons immediately and all you can go is "ah here" and they waited to initiate this in the very last scene no less! A fluffy trailer to promote fair enough, last scene in the actual picture...cringe. :pac:

Have to say; initial reaction fair enough but kinda surprised the narrative that this is a Joker rip off is apparently still being pushed. I mean that was a more on the nose film about mental illness which drew inspiration from Taxi driver, here we have a girl who was a tear away from a very early age
    (which is later in the film explained how this came about)
    who formulates a path to success, Joker ultimately became the villain everyone knows,Cruella didn't I think it's fair to say.
    I think there seems to be an odd obsession these days to compare the latest female led movie to a pre-existing male counterpart, sure there's been many films that way by design but shoddy journos seem to strive in looking for them when it is barely there or not there at all in some cases. Emma Stone was cast as Cruella before Todd Phillips even wrote his script, crazy huh.

I haven't been endeared as much by a live action Disney film in this vein so for that alone it's a relative success, while some of the glaring question marks are simply too hard for me to overlook even at that I just can't knock Stone and Thompson here at all, honestly without them you're probably looking at bang average show. Mark Strong is reliable as always too in his smaller role but worth a shout.

Maybe just to note this isn't really a kids film they'd want to be upwards of 9 range perhaps to have any take away from this, which also has me question why they hit the periphery of a dark element but then I just accept that it's just part of the essence of Disney in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ThePott

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It's not a masterpiece obviously but for a prequel to 101 Dalmatians it surpassed my expectations. Performances are good, especially Emma Stone. It was less predictable than expected and didn't feel like rushed to get to the point 101 Dalmatians starts which I hate with prequel films.
    Agree with what everyone says though, I don't see this character killing dogs. Maybe this is a sort of alternate version and all that but I'd actually be interested to see where a sequel would go.

I went into my thoughts in more detail in a YT video, if anyone wants to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now on general Disney+ release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's actually a very enjoyable movie, the 2 main characters are great, Emma Stone plays her character brilliantly, even avoiding being outshone by Emma Thompson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ThePott

Saw that, a bit after. Reckon it's so Emma Stone doesn't think of suing like Scarlett Johannson haha. Looking forward to it all the same, Cruelle was better than expected.

Advertisement