Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave Application

Options
  • 01-02-2021 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I would like to apply for parental leave. I am at my job less than 12 months. Ideally I would like my leave to begin for when I will be there 12 months, which will be in June. Can I apply for it now, ahead of time, stating the start date as June, so that's it's all sorted in plenty of time?
    Or do I have to wait until I am there 12 months before I can even apply? I.e. Wait until June to apply and by the time it's all sorted it could be July/August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I would like to apply for parental leave. I am at my job less than 12 months. Ideally I would like my leave to begin for when I will be there 12 months, which will be in June. Can I apply for it now, ahead of time, stating the start date as June, so that's it's all sorted in plenty of time?
    Or do I have to wait until I am there 12 months before I can even apply? I.e. Wait until June to apply and by the time it's all sorted it could be July/August.

You should ask your line manager. I presume everywhere has a different policy, but I’ve known people to start taking it on arrival to a new post

You have to apply at least six weeks in advance.

I think you'd be wise to apply now, as if they decline or defer (which they are allowed to do) you have some time to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thanks. I have informally applied and am waiting to hear back. If they refuse, I will still put the application in officially so that it's on the record that I have applied, as this will important for when I'd be applying a second time.

One other thing I can't seem to find the correct information on, is whether the parental leave entitlement is 26 weeks altogether, or 26 weeks per child?

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Advertisement