Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cuckoo calling - is it common to hear them?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 geeneyj2

Never heard in Louth either though when I was young I used to think collared dove call was a cuckoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

They eat a lot of a certain type of caterpillar and the fir plantations are great for producing them so that’s a good place to hear them late evening before the roost.

This makes sense to me now as I heard one in Rahin wood Co. Kildare a few weeks ago and there were lots of caterpillars hanging down on silk on the conifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Don keebals

bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking-project .........just seen this project tracking cuckoo's in England they have live tracking of 3 male birds currently stopped in Spain readying for the flight over the Sahara desert, interesting for anyone interested in the migration route's to Africa and finding out possible causes for decline in numbers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: You don't have enough posts to be able to post links, yet, op.

Here it is: https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/cuckoo-tracking-project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Not yet the time of year but fairly sure I just heard one here in south Kerry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Don keebals

The tracking of the 3 UK birds now show's them building their fat reserves readying for the flight over the Sahara desert and back to UK after spending the winter in the rainforests of Gabon and Angola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

False alarm.

On closer investigation it turned out to be a collared dove.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Not yet the time of year but fairly sure I just heard one here in south Kerry.

did you hear the one about the kerryman who thought he heard a cuckoo in february....

Advertisement