Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage / acre

Options
  • 07-03-2021 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I want to consolidate my silage area. As it is I'm taking silage from 4 different places and they are all coming in at different times from mid May to the End of June 1st crop. About 40 acres of silage ground in total which produced 650 bales last year in 2 cuts.
    My plan is to take silage from one 25 acre block, which is a bit less ground. Land is upland meadowing, grade 2 type land very fertile.
    What would the maximum amount of Silage (bales) I could get out of this block. Cattle have been out of it since last October so it has a cover of winter grass already.
    Is 3 crops realistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I want to consolidate my silage area. As it is I'm taking silage from 4 different places and they are all coming in at different times from mid May to the End of June 1st crop. About 40 acres of silage ground in total which produced 650 bales last year in 2 cuts.
    My plan is to take silage from one 25 acre block, which is a bit less ground. Land is upland meadowing, grade 2 type land very fertile.
    What would the maximum amount of Silage (bales) I could get out of this block. Cattle have been out of it since last October so it has a cover of winter grass already.
    Is 3 crops realistic?

First thing I’d do is soil sample it as that’ll tell you what fert you need (and lime).

If it has cover on since October then you’ll get an early cut. Quality won’t be great but it’d be grand for dry sucklers. You’ll easily get two more cuts afterwards if you fertilise and slurry accordingly thereafter.

Advertisement