Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming in Docklands

Options
  • 06-03-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

There's some serious filming going on this weekend around the Samuel Beckett bridge. Does anyone know of any details? I think it might be something for St. Patrick's day, possibly by Failte Ireland.

They have a whole section of the quays on the south side blocked off, and there are some kind of bright lights on the ground. Last night they had about 40 security people blocking off the roads in the area after midnight, and I woke to the sound of a drone flying around. And they were showing green patterns on the bridge lights.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

xabi_a wrote: »
    There's some serious filming going on this weekend around the Samuel Beckett bridge. Does anyone know of any details? I think it might be something for St. Patrick's day, possibly by Failte Ireland.

They have a whole section of the quays on the south side blocked off, and there are some kind of bright lights on the ground. Last night they had about 40 security people blocking off the roads in the area after midnight, and I woke to the sound of a drone flying around. And they were showing green patterns on the bridge lights.

I was going to ask about this-there was some kind of animated light show over that area about 4am. I think I made out a figure walking- it must have been several hundred feet tall. Something for St Patrick's Day perhaps..I'd show the video I took but I don't want to give away my position...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

sabat wrote: »
    I was going to ask about this-there was some kind of animated light show over that area about 4am. I think I made out a figure walking- it must have been several hundred feet tall. Something for St Patrick's Day perhaps..I'd show the video I took but I don't want to give away my position...

That sounds like it. Looking down from my place I can see a whole array of bright lights laid out on the quayside, facing upwards and very carefully guarded from view of passers-by. It looks to be very high-tech. And high budget, with all sorts of security and blocking of roads throughout the night.

I couldn't figure out what those lights might be for, but yes some kind of giant hologram would make sense. Suitably spectacular for flogging Ireland all over the world for Paddy's day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Starting up again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

Yes it's a drone show! Lots of small drones flying in synchronisation, forming huge shapes in the sky. It was done for the 2018 Winter Olympics, and the Superbowl as well.

https://www.wired.com/story/olympics-opening-ceremony-drone-show/

It looked pretty amazing. I noticed they were planning ahead: there were shapes for football (anticipating some Euro final matches in Dublin), for St. Patrick's Day, something that looked like a Gay Pride rainbow, and even a rugby symbol.

I think they were trying to keep it all secret so I hope I haven't said too much:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's a couple of photos posted (not by me) to reddit for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

xabi_a wrote: »
    Yes it's a drone show! Lots of small drones flying in synchronisation, forming huge shapes in the sky. It was done for the 2018 Winter Olympics, and the Superbowl as well.

https://www.wired.com/story/olympics-opening-ceremony-drone-show/

It looked pretty amazing. I noticed they were planning ahead: there were shapes for football (anticipating some Euro final matches in Dublin), for St. Patrick's Day, something that looked like a Gay Pride rainbow, and even a rugby symbol.

I think they were trying to keep it all secret so I hope I haven't said too much:-)

Wtf does being gay have to do with celebrating being Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

I like how you don't mention the Euros as being an issue despite the fact Ireland are not involved.

Anyway, looks like it's for events throughout the year so relax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Wtf does being gay have to do with celebrating being Irish?

'planning ahead' is the relevant term I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Today, St. Patrick’s Day 2021, St. Patrick’s Festival is proud to present Orchestra of Light, a beautiful film featuring a fleet of 500 drones dancing across Dublin’s night sky.

The film presents a heartfelt, uplifting celebration of our national day, and spreads a message of hope to audiences around the globe. Scored by Eimear Noone, Conductor and Composer and Craig Stuart Garfinkle, featuring Picture This and RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra. Orchestra of Light was created by St. Patrick’s Festival, Tourism Ireland and DublinCity Council and delivered in collaboration with Intel and Actavo Events. Tune in to SPF TV www.stpatricksfestival.ie/spftv or Oireachtas TV at 9:30pm for the beautiful full-length film.

#AwakenIreland #SPFTV #SPF2021 #stpatricksfestival #inteldrones

https://m.facebook.com/StPatricksFestivalIreland/videos/268269531539359/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fwatch%2F&_rdr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

There was filming taking place earlier this afternoon in Windmill Lane.

Advertisement