Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Barely touch Netflix but was glued to Behind her Eyes..so can anyone recommend a series similar?similar in suspense but not with a sci fi ending...

Safe.
    Valhalla Murders.
    One of Us.
    Top of the Lake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched these over the last few days.

Moxie - It was grand, an easy watch but a bit heavy handed/uneven with its message and nowhere near as good as the likes of Eighth Grade, Booksmart or Edge of Seventeen in terms of female centred coming of age films imo.

The Art of Self Defence - Not as hilarious as the trailer made it look but still very funny in places. Worth a watch if you like your comedies dark.

Hostiles - One that passed me by when it came out but was in the mood for a western so threw it on. Well worth a watch and Christian Bale is great in it. Pretty grim/serious though so not one to watch if you are looking to be cheered up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Safe
    Similarly, another one from Harlan Cohen - The Stranger.

Finished Behind Her Eyes this morning.. some of the dodgiest acting I've seen from a Netflix series and the whole
    astral projection
    angle was woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Safe.
    Valhalla Murders.
    One of Us.
    Top of the Lake.
    Another vote for the valhalla murders really gripping and kicks it up a notch in last few episodes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm watching it live on Monday on itv
    Excellent so far!

I belive it's been bumped this week for Oprah

I belive it's been bumped this week for Oprah
    Yep looks like it, on Tuesday instead zzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Basq wrote: »
    Finished Behind Her Eyes this morning.. some of the dodgiest acting I've seen from a Netflix series and the whole
    astral projection
    angle was woeful.

Kinda agree. The more I've been thinking about Behind Her Eyes, it reminded me of Lost!

I was kept interested but the ending was like a kick in the stones.

At least BHE only dangled me along for 6 episodes, not 6 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I just finished Call My Agent and loved it! Can anyone recommend any other good French series? I've also watched Lupin which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I just finished Call My Agent and loved it! Can anyone recommend any other good French series? I've also watched Lupin which I really enjoyed.

The bureau (on amazon) is one of the best spy series around. Absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    But why does it have to be new?

There's thousands of hours of quality older stuff there too.

A year ago I couldn't find anything I was interested in watching that I hadn't already seen. Star Trek is the only thing on it I have lined up to watch, there's been incredibly little added over the last year as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think all we're seeing is the pandemic starting to bite into release volume at this stage. Was always bound to happen, even if there's now a few productions back on track

The bureau (on amazon) is one of the best spy series around. Absolutely fantastic.
    Also A Very Secret Service if looking for something lighter. Don't think that's on streaming services atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think they're both Finchers high point, with only degrees of personal preference splitting the two. Social Network is a better narrative perhaps, with Zodiac a more intriguing puzzle. I know Mank divides, while Alien3 famously studuo interfered, but the man's CV has a consistency that must be the envy of others in the field. Even his "merely entertaining" films like Dragon Tattoo are leaps and bounds above the rest of mainstream Hollywood.

I could never get in into (no pun intended) Panic Room and I tried several times. Just doesn’t do anything for me but I do like The Game. I just love the mystery and the way it builds.

Gone Girl I liked on first watch but on repeat watches I cannot seem to stick with it. Mostly I think because the main characters are ****ing awful people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Se7en is a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

brevity wrote: »
    I could never get in into (no pun intended) Panic Room and I tried several times. Just doesn’t do anything for me but I do like The Game. I just love the mystery and the way it builds.

Gone Girl I liked on first watch but on repeat watches I cannot seem to stick with it. Mostly I think because the main characters are ****ing awful people.

That's funny cos I'd speculate nearly all of Finchers characters are awful, seedy or corrupted people. Gone Girl being the apotheosis of this fascination with human grimness. Methinks Fincher is a misanthrope, perhaps not on the shortlist for Paddington 3. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

The Game is the least memorable of his movies for me, and I've seen everything barring Benjamin Button. I quite like Panic Room, which is a tight little thriller. I quite like that opinions on his best and worst films vary: the truth is that the lesser of his movies are still good enough for personal taste to dominate the conversation.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Methinks Fincher is a misanthrope
    I'd like to hear anyone argue otherwise.
    ... perhaps not on the shortlist for Paddington 3. ;)
    I would watch the hell out of that.

No idea why I’m only watching unforgotton now...two episodes in and hooked!

mikhail wrote: »
    The Game is the least memorable of his movies for me, and I've seen everything barring Benjamin Button. I quite like Panic Room, which is a tight little thriller. I quite like that opinions on his best and worst films vary: the truth is that the lesser of his movies are still good enough for personal taste to dominate the conversation.

I'd like to hear anyone argue otherwise.

I would watch the hell out of that.

Part of me is equally curious, but Paddington 2 was such a beautiful warm, perfect hug of a film the polar opposite might also break me.

David Finchers worst day beats 90% mainstream Hollywood, always hitting a very steady, consistent rate. Though like I said I believe Mank has been divisive. He wouldn't be like, say, Ridley Scott whose highs may be high, but his misses equally spectacular

No idea why I’m only watching unforgotton now...two episodes in and hooked!
    Its really excellent.
    The new series on itv at the minute is really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

Its really excellent.
    The new series on itv at the minute is really good so far.

I know, I couldn't put the remote down. Watched all 3 seasons in 4 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Someone on here recommended Borgen, a Danish political series.

It's very good, 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, and there are plans for a 4th season.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Someone on here recommended Borgen, a Danish political series.

It's very good, 3 seasons of 10 episodes each, and there are plans for a 4th season.
    Highly recommended.

Is it subtitled or dubbed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Finished Lupin, enjoyable enough.

Finished Valhalla Murders too. Very good, got better as the episodes went on,

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Finished Lupin, enjoyable enough.

Finished Valhalla Murders too. Very good, got better as the episodes went on,
    Totally agree on valhalla, really excellent.
    The last two episodes especially went at a bit of a clip, really gripping.
    The main lady from it is in trapped, which imo is even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Is it subtitled or dubbed?
    Whatever you want.
    Option of dubbing or watching it in Danish/German/Polish/French/ english with subtitles in whatever language (of these) you'd prefer.
    Dubbing in english, with english subtitles, however, is very frustrating.

But it's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Decline... I really liked this French Canadian movie about a group of survivalist wannabes attending a training camp in secret remote location deep in the wilderness in Montreal but after a freak accident, everything starts to go pear shaped.

It's available with subtitles or dubbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A lot of people say that The Social Network is Finchers best film but I much prefer Zodiac

I have seen it so many times, it really is an excellent thriller.

Both are terrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm loving Superstore too :)

I'm just starting season 4... very easy to binge-watch :p

I also found this article via twitter on how they approached COVID-19 in real time, which I thought was interesting (... also the article contains some spoilers... be warned :pac: )

I think we only have up until season 5 on Netflix, wherein this is addressed in the newest, current season (season 6).

Third fourth or fifth this superstore is very good I have to say, Dina steals the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Totally agree on valhalla, really excellent.
    The last two episodes especially went at a bit of a clip, really gripping.
    The main lady from it is in trapped, which imo is even better.

Is Trapped available anywhere to watch at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bombay Begums
    From boardrooms to society's margins, five ambitious women from various walks of life navigate dreams, desires and disappointments in modern Mumbai.

Bombay Rose
    Amidst the bustle of a magnetic and multifaceted city, the budding love between two dreamers is tested.

added

• Advertisement

I think it's on amazon prime

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Prime. Definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Finding Trial by Fire like a made for tv movie.Had to pause in the middle of it and not sure I can be bothered finishing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Probably never would have touched these as i am not into hip hop at all but after 1 year solitary confinement you ll watch anything and some of it is surprisingly good

Hip hop evolution (4 seasons)
    Unsolved; the murders of Tupac and notorious big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

inforfun wrote: »
    Probably never would have touched these as i am not into hip hop at all but after 1 year solitary confinement you ll watch anything and some of it is surprisingly good

Hip hop evolution (4 seasons)
    Unsolved; the murders of Tupac and notorious big
    If you're enjoying going down that rabbit hole I would strongly recommend The Defiant Ones if you haven't watched it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The new season is currently airing on itv on Monday nights. I think the 3rd episode is tomorrow night. I'm waiting until it's over to binge it.

Currently bingeing on this - was recommended by a friend. It's really good! It's gone from Netlix though on 30th March :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Moxie. It's not a good movie and it's extraordinarily heavy handed. I'd have major issues with
    the accusation aired in public at the end against the main antagonist - can't be bothered to google his name - that is completely taken at face value and leads to his expulsion from the looks of it.

And for a film all about girls supporting girls, they never seem to actually go and watch the girls play their soccer games. They just bitch about them not getting the recognition they deserve while sitting in the stands watching the boys play football when the girls get back from their match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote: »

This is the original film right? Or are they releasing a new project

• Advertisement

Shrek is a weird movie, in that it was arguably born (AFAIK) from Jeffrey Katzenberg wanting to give Disney the middle finger. The first was kinda fun in skewering fairy tale tropes but found the sequels almost unwatchable in places. Real ugly animation too, regardless of the era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is the original film right? Or are they releasing a new project

Comments say shrek 2 is also returning so it’s the originals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tried for the second time to start Sex Education
    I just don’t get it ?
    It’s not funny

Community on the other hand
    Second attempt at that and loving it . The 2 “main “ characters put me off first and they still annoy me
    But Abed is one of the funniest characters in any tv show :D

Season one almost complete .

For our “serious “ show I think I’ll go back to Unforgotten for the next week. Could do with Netflix upping their game in this regard fairly soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

km79 wrote: »
    Second attempt at that and loving it . The 2 “main “ characters put me off first and they still annoy me

Abed is great, and he has a great foil in Troy. You might be about to hit the paintball, which most people love. The show declines after a few seasons - though it still has its moments later on - but those first few seasons are a pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I really disliked Community at first. I remember really struggling with the first season and giving up on it a few times. I guess it mirrors the 'it takes a season to hit the ground running then probably outstays it's welcome a little' show life cycle that is all too familiar.

I must revisit some of those top tier episodes as I have no intention of doing a full re-watch. Can't believe it's 10+ years since it first aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Community definitely takes some episodes while it goes from typical formulaic US comedy into that true Dan Harmon territory off being off the wall and finds it's feet.

The drama behind the scenes, with the back and forth with Harmon being sacked, re-hired and then the show moving from NBC to Yahoo streaming have to be factored as to why the show was less consistent in later seasons. If you can accept how the background drama affected things while watching them then there may be something to salvage in liking them, while they are still inferior.

If Harmontown is still on Netflix then it's worth a watch if you're unfamiliar with the drama behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just a heads up that Ashes to Ashes is being pulled in early April

Currently on season 1 to follow on from Life on Mars which I thought was excellent

And it appears there might be a third season of Life on Mars in the works, nothing official as of yet, but the creators did confirm they were in the process of trying to get it up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

ixoy wrote: »
    Prime. Definitely worth watching.

What is Trapped about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

km79 wrote: »
    Tried for the second time to start Sex Education
    I just don’t get it ?
    It’s not funny

For our “serious “ show I think I’ll go back to Unforgotten for the next week. Could do with Netflix upping their game in this regard fairly soon

I thought Sex Education was great from the off but maybe like for me and Parks and Rec and Schitts Creek you need to power through for a bit to find the gold. Once you become invested in the characters it pays off.

leahyl wrote: »
    Currently bingeing on this - was recommended by a friend. It's really good! It's gone from Netlix though on 30th March :(

Thought feck it when I saw it was leaving at end of March. Sure I’ve season 1 watched already. Don’t know who I was kidding!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thought feck it when I saw it was leaving at end of March. Sure I’ve season 1 watched already. Don’t know who I was kidding!!

Yup! Nearly finished season 2 so will def have season 3 finished by 30th March :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement