Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Mooooo wrote: »
    I sent off 35 cormac bottles in the one envelope last week, got there fine

Was that all 35 for €2?

I know it's €2 for up to 10 samples, I bring them to the post box already stamped. I just needed to know how much extra for greater than 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was that all 35 for €2?

I know it's €2 for up to 10 samples, I bring them to the post box already stamped. I just needed to know how much extra for greater than 10.

Cormac samples are way smaller and lighter than Mullinahone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was that all 35 for €2?

Yeah, two stamps on the envelope and off they go. As said cormac bottles are smaller and slimmer than mulinahone. Depending on how fast calving is going generally send once a week for the calves born that week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't know if this was posted in a while. Anyways posting it now because its after dinner on a Sunday ;)

https://youtu.be/QchwVJAftyM

Gets better every time I watch.

30km run done. Will be ready for the virtual limerick marathon the May bank Holiday weekend if all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Great investigative journalism by kimmage in the Indo today, I wonder will there be any more about it, it's pretty damning if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

30km run done. Will be ready for the virtual limerick marathon the May bank Holiday weekend if all goes well.

My knees with the thoughts of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    Great investigative journalism by kimmage in the Indo today, I wonder will there be any more about it, it's pretty damning if true

Didn't see it wrangler. What was the gist of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Listed a pony on donedeal today and she was sold within 5 minutes. Must of went shy on the price lol

Grueller wrote: »
    Didn't see it wrangler. What was the gist of it?

It's about a Department Special investigation Units investigation into a veterinary shop in Cillin Hill Kilkenny.
    Another whistle blower story where they tried to squash the story.
    Fairly damning on our traceability.

• Advertisement

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Listed a pony on donedeal today and she was sold within 5 minutes. Must of went shy on the price lol

You might have been bang in the money. Bet there’s a big interest in ponies at the moment.

I was saying to the Lad that brings cattle to mart for me about the price the belted galloways made in gort.

He said, lads can’t spend money and it’s putting the price of the unusual up a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The horse trade is booming atm for anything desirable be they trained or with potential. What you sell out of interest? Anyone I talk to in the equine world recently tells me that good young horses of all types aren't there to meet demand due to the reduction in breeding in the last decade. A friend of mine who deals in everything and anything with a mane and tail tells me that you'd sell lorry loads of children's ponies of all shapes and sizes the last 12 month's.

The horse trade is booming atm for anything desirable be they trained or with potential. What you sell out of interest? Anyone I talk to in the equine world recently tells me that good young horses of all types aren't there to meet demand due to the reduction in breeding in the last decade. A friend of mine who deals in everything and anything with a mane and tail tells me that you'd sell lorry loads of children's ponies of all shapes and sizes the last 12 month's.

Little 12.2hh pony. The phone is absolutely hopping and there's a fella from kerry driving up tomorrow apparently. I might go back into buying and selling them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Your first line reminds me of the mid noughties.by the end of that decade their were many abandoned & forgotten about when money got tight everywhere.

Couldn't happen again, shur ly not.

Little 12.2hh pony. The phone is absolutely hopping and there's a fella from kerry driving up tomorrow apparently. I might go back into buying and selling them lol

Just the sort that's always in demand, hard bought but easy sold if there any good. The same thought crossed my mind but you need lots of time and no fairs or marts mean you'd be all over the country sourcing them. I never made much at it but I learned lots, anything I earned I seemed to blow on the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

It's about a Department Special investigation Units investigation into a veterinary shop in Cillin Hill Kilkenny.

Is ot the current shop or a previous shop there?

Better living everyone

Unforgiven on 2 now, one of the best Westerns made.

People still believe in traceability :confused:

Just the sort that's always in demand, hard bought but easy sold if there any good. The same thought crossed my mind but you need lots of time and no fairs or marts mean you'd be all over the country sourcing them. I never made much at it but I learned lots, anything I earned I seemed to blow on the next one.

I used to buy and break a lot of them when I was in college and had plenty if time. A few weeks after starting work full time I got a bad fall and broke a bone in my back. 3 months off work

• Advertisement

Better living everyone

ruwithme wrote: »
    Your first line reminds me of the mid noughties.by the end of that decade their were many abandoned & forgotten about when money got tight everywhere.

Couldn't happen again, shur ly not.

I did say anything with ability or potential, the awkward type stock are nearly worthless the same as they've been for the last decade or more. At least 10 year's ago there was a slaughter outlet but that seems to have disappeared the last year or 2, is there anywhere left killing horse's? There was only 2 factories I knew of in recent year's.

At the height of the noughties you'd sell a picture of a horse and there was more bad ones than good ones left in the country. Most of the prime stock were exported as usual and the junk passed around from man to man looking for a quick euro. Then the wheels fell off the wagon from 2008 onwards and they were sold mostly for killing in there thousands. The majority of what went weren't any great loss to the national herd and it helped mitigate what otherwise would have been an animal welfare catastrophe.

There were very few foals of any type bred in the last decade and it's becoming apparent now that there's a shortage of good quality young stock for all disciplines. The people that were at horse's all there lives weren't the cause of the last collapse. It was by and large newcomers who decided they'd breed off whatever excuse for a nag they could source safe in the knowledge that horse's were dearer every week and they'd turn a handy euro. Much the same thing happened with property, a rising market and if you bought today and sold tomorrow you couldn't but make money.

First inspection was 2011, I don't know the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Unforgiven on 2 now, one of the best Westerns made.

My understanding is Clint bought the story/script in the 80's and did nothing with it until he was old enough to play the main part himself in the late 90's. Playing the long game there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I did say anything with ability or potential, the awkward type stock are nearly worthless the same as they've been for the last decade or more. At least 10 year's ago there was a slaughter outlet but that seems to have disappeared the last year or 2, is there anywhere left killing horse's? There was only 2 factories I knew of in recent year's.

At the height of the noughties you'd sell a picture of a horse and there was more bad ones than good ones left in the country. Most of the prime stock were exported as usual and the junk passed around from man to man looking for a quick euro. Then the wheels fell off the wagon from 2008 onwards and they were sold mostly for killing in there thousands. The majority of what went weren't any great loss to the national herd and it helped mitigate what otherwise would have been an animal welfare catastrophe.

There were very few foals of any type bred in the last decade and it's becoming apparent now that there's a shortage of good quality young stock for all disciplines. The people that were at horse's all there lives weren't the cause of the last collapse. It was by and large newcomers who decided they'd breed off whatever excuse for a nag they could source safe in the knowledge that horse's were dearer every week and they'd turn a handy euro. Much the same thing happened with property, a rising market and if you bought today and sold tomorrow you couldn't but make money.
    I was at a horse slaughtering facility once.
    The one in the southeast.
    Must be back fifteen years ago now.

There were fields of heavy tall piebald cobs around the facility. The type that are extinct in this country now. I was told they were being bought by the factory for peanuts and dropped off but a fair few were being exported to Germany. What's rare is appreciated and what's not is not and all that.

I was amused lately to see a gypsy tall hairy coloured cob on fb out in Brazil.
    Here they were considered dirt even by horse aficionados. And the rest of the world couldn't get enough of them.

First inspection was 2011, I don't know the place

Must be the previous crowd so i reckon, AFAIK they had a few shops around the place. Was in the new shop recently he seems A1 there to be fair.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

I was at a horse slaughtering facility once.
    The one in the southeast.
    Must be back fifteen years ago now.

There were fields of heavy tall piebald cobs around the facility. The type that are extinct in this country now. I was told they were being bought by the factory for peanuts and dropped off but a fair few were being exported to Germany. What's rare is appreciated and what's not is not and all that.

I was amused lately to see a gypsy tall hairy coloured cob on fb out in Brazil.
    Here they were considered dirt even by horse aficionados. And the rest of the world couldn't get enough of them.

B and F meats? I was never at the factory but I know a few lad's that used to send horse's there and later to Thomastown. There were bound to have been horse's bought out of the lairage and exported. Gypsy cobs were always in demand around here and most of them went to the UK and the continent. I haven't saw any quality numbers of them in a good while though sadly.

B and F meats? I was never at the factory but I know a few lad's that used to send horse's there and later to Thomastown. There were bound to have been horse's bought out of the lairage and exported. Gypsy cobs were always in demand around here and most of them went to the UK and the continent. I haven't saw any quality numbers of them in a good while though sadly.
    Yep b and f.

Baltinglass Mart was another education. Cattle lorry loads of cob horses never handled or broken just let the ramp down and yer own look out if you happened to be on the alleyways going to the pen.

Yep b and f.

Baltinglass Mart was another education. Cattle lorry loads of cob horses never handled or broken just let the ramp down and yer own look out if you happened to be on the alleyways going to the pen.

They were the main buyer's of fit horses in Drumshanbo for year's during the recession. There'd be lorry loads of them assembled in the mart of a Saturday evening and more men buying horses off the land.

There were lots of sales locally at that time, Manorhamilton, Mohill, Carrigallen, Ballina, Castlerea and more used to be on monthly or at least a few times a year. That all stopped shortly after the market collapse and Drumshanbo and Granard were the only sales I knew of that continued regularly up until pre Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Can someone tell me if I can make a electronic fund transfer to machinery dealer in NI using the AIB Mobile banking App or will I have to go to my branch? He has quoted me a price in Euros so thought it might be handy way of paying under the current circumstances.

It mentions payments to other Irish accounts and payees. I only used it once in last 18 months but that was for something handy here in the south.

Can someone tell me if I can make a electronic fund transfer to machinery dealer in NI using the AIB Mobile banking App or will I have to go to my branch? He has quoted me a price in Euros so thought it might be handy way of paying under the current circumstances.

It mentions payments to other Irish accounts and payees. I only used it once in last 18 months but that was for something handy here in the south.

I think you will be able to set it up online with a card reader but not via the app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see we have a new forum Mod named Tokyo. Mike used to be there for years but they must have changed him.

Base price wrote: »
    I see we have a new forum Mod named Tokyo. Mike used to be there for years but they must have changed him.

Gotta love those visitor messages :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You will need a card reader. As it is going to a UK account the conversion will be done on the day's rate.

I usually type up on an open Word document beforehand the Receiver's A/C BIK, IBAN, Receivers A/C number, plus he last 8 digits of the Receiver's account. These can be copied and pasted individually into the AIB webpage. Hesitancy or delay entering the numbers, it will annoyingly keep telling you that you are being logged out due to lack of activity.

I rang the bank and asked them to walk me through the online transaction - they were very helpful (contact + AIB 01 771 2424.).
    It cost approx €15 to transfer money to UK account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Base price wrote: »

Same man, different monicker.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

summer grass grazing. how much for weanling heifers per day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

These figures are 2 or 3 years old Teagasc source, I kept on file:

The average rate for the typical 549-day rearing period – from 12 weeks of age to 20 months – is €1.20/day.
    Curran gave the following approximate figures for the different stages of the rearing process.
    Approximate contract rearing rates:
    Calf rearing: €2.00/day;
    First grazing season: €0.80/day;
    First winter: €1.80/day;
    Second grazing season: €1.05/day;
    Second winter: €2.10/day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

thank you

Water John wrote: »
    These figures are 2 or 3 years old Teagasc source, I kept on file:

The average rate for the typical 549-day rearing period – from 12 weeks of age to 20 months – is €1.20/day.
    Curran gave the following approximate figures for the different stages of the rearing process.
    Approximate contract rearing rates:
    Calf rearing: €2.00/day;
    First grazing season: €0.80/day;
    First winter: €1.80/day;
    Second grazing season: €1.05/day;
    Second winter: €2.10/day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Any word on the new Beeps scheme?
    Be nice to do some of the stuff when the cattle are in the shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Leaving my job next week after 16 years, took a voluntary redundancy package. Thought I was mad leaving during this pandemic but I'm starting a new one in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

emaherx wrote: »
    Leaving my job next week after 16 years, took a voluntary redundancy package. Thought I was mad leaving during this pandemic but I'm starting a new one in 2 weeks.

Fair play, new job and redundancy in the back pocket :)

Best of luck with it...

• Advertisement

Win win so. Fair play. Best of luck in the new job.

Congrats on the new role.

First Covid cut done- had to buy a clippers online. OH did it for me. Will have to use plenty of hair gel to keep it straight.

Head is a few kg lighter though.

First Covid cut done- had to buy a clippers online. OH did it for me. Will have to use plenty of hair gel to keep it straight.

herself spent a day watching youtube and gave me a haircut. did a great job in fairness to her, better than ive had from a few local barbers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/arable-land#:~:text=Ireland%20arable%20land%20for%202016,a%204.94%25%20decline%20from%202013.

What the hell happened in 2014/2015!? According to this site the amount of arable land in Ireland dropped by approximately 50% and it has stayed down since. Im gonna have to try and look into the data behind this when I get a chance but I can't fathom how this would be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tig98 wrote: »
    https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/arable-land#:~:text=Ireland%20arable%20land%20for%202016,a%204.94%25%20decline%20from%202013.

What the hell happened in 2014/2015!? According to this site the amount of arable land in Ireland dropped by approximately 50% and it has stayed down since. Im gonna have to try and look into the data behind this when I get a chance but I can't fathom how this would be true

Milk Quota.

herself spent a day watching youtube and gave me a haircut. did a great job in fairness to her, better than ive had from a few local barbers lol

My OH would know too much to watch you tube. Had to wait for her to go for her Walk to try straighten it up a little.

Shur she cut her fathers and brothers hair.... both are bald.

Tig98 wrote: »

To further confound you.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/aypc/areayieldandproductionofcrops2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Haha

• Advertisement

Handy knives for bales in lidl at the moment

https://flic.kr/p/2kJ7bBH

Advertisement