Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation - where to start

Options
  • 23-02-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi everyone, what is the first step in renovations? Do I need plans to get the finance or need the finance before plans? Who do i contact first regarding the work? Who will price and plan for me? Does architect do price and planning? Or do I contact a builder to do the pricing after i have architect plans?
    We want to do work on semi detached 3 bed semi -
    Bring the home up to modern standards , insulation, rewiring and new windows
    Demolition of garage and building 2 story extension in its place and extending to the rear to make kitchen bigger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ElderWanderer

Get approval in principles from prospective lenders- this will put a ceiling on the project budget. Plan for €1,500 for renovation & €2,500 for construction. Another €10-20k for the demolition, depending on whether the garage has an asbestos roof. If you reckon you can afford an extension, you can go talk to the architect.

Carefully explain to your architect you can only afford 80% of your budget for the entire project, and that includes their fees (and any other professional fees). Under no circumstances tell the architect your real ceiling- things will come up during the works which will eat into that contingency, and their cost estimates will almost certainly be too low anyway.

The architect should put together a tender package, and you should go to a minimum of 3 builders with this (5 or 6 is better). The tender should be issued probably at least 2 months before you want the prices back- you don't want builders pricing a job in a hurry.

Unless your budget is unlimited, the first step in the process if to find out what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Augustduck

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. just wondering what you mean by these figures? 'Plan for €1,500 for renovation & €2,500 for construction. '

Thanks, to get the finance approved tho, would I need costings and plans from an architect/builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Augustduck wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me. just wondering what you mean by these figures? 'Plan for €1,500 for renovation & €2,500 for construction. '
    per meter squared for reno and new respectively

In passing which side of 100k do you expect to be and by how much :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

recent thread below on a very similar topic

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058160877

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the info and link to other forum, really useful. If I was to get a family member to do alot of the building work and electrics etc, is it possible to get an architect to just draw the plans up and have builder follow these plans or is the architect normally only sign up if involved for whole project

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Augustduck wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the info and link to other forum, really useful. If I was to get a family member to do alot of the building work and electrics etc, is it possible to get an architect to just draw the plans up and have builder follow these plans or is the architect normally only sign up if involved for whole project

id imagine you will need someone to sign off the works for the bank anyway and someone for signing off for compliance with the building regs. but yes an architect could just draw up plans for you, what you do with them after that is entirely up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

I think prices quoted above are way under. See recent quote attached granted you may get things cheaper if in a different part of the country or family is completing the work.

Hi Folks, 

Quote back for the following south Dublin 

1). knock kitchen into dining room and add 30sqm single story extension

2). knock garage and build 2 story extension for downstairs bedroom with en-suite and the same upstairs

3). retrofit to 120sqm house

4). rewire and replumb

Plumbing cost below is upgrade Gas boiler and only future proof for Heat pump and solar. 

What are peoples views as it blew up my expectation of 3k a sq metre for new build and 1500 for retrofit

Another builder just came back with 400k but no bill of quantities..

Advertisement