Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation bird feeding station

Options
  • 08-02-2021 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi could you recommend a bird feeding station please?

I got one in Aldi and after a while it just got rusty.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I tag on another question?

One that's crow proof? Neighbours have a bird table in the middle of their garden and only birds I ever see at it are crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

NIMAN wrote: »

One that's crow proof? Neighbours have a bird table in the middle of their garden and only birds I ever see at it are crows.

I'm the same. When I put food out, all I see are crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

We switched over to just nyger seed, a bit more expensive but crows and magpies have no interest in it.

Crows were emptying the feeders in a couple of hours when we used a mix with sunflower and barley in it. Nyger fills last a few days for the small birds. Only downside seems to be less blackbirds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

jkljkljkl wrote: »
    Hi could you recommend a bird feeding station please?

I got one in Aldi and after a while it just got rusty.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Honestly, the Aldi ones are as good as any of the others on the market. You could always build your own by making a wooden frame, or otherwise a series of clotheslines to hang feeders from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Try the squirrel-proof feeders that have a cage around them. If the crows still knock at those to spill seed on the ground, tether the feeder from the bottom to the ground below so that they can't shake it. You can try making your own using chickenwire or caging from a garden centre or hardware shop. I've seen people using two hanging baskets tied around a feeder to good effect, and similarly an old cage shopping basket if you can get your hands on it. Get creative and you'll figure something out!

Another alternative would be to switch to just having peanuts out - crows can't get in at it in the cage feeders, and can't spill it on the ground like they can with seeds and fatballs. Almost all garden species will eat peanuts too (whereas only a select few eat nyjer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

All the wire ones I have used have rusted & ended in the Bin. There are new Plastic ones for bird seed & Fat balls. Very easy to clean & last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I refilled our feeder this morning and just five minutes ago heard this almighty commotion of squawking crows. I didn't see it, but my wife was looking out the window and saw a large bird of prey (a red kite or more likely a buzzard) swoop down and take one of the crows at the feeder. If that doesn't keep them away for a while, I don't know what will.

seanoge wrote: »
    All the wire ones I have used have rusted & ended in the Bin. There are new Plastic ones for bird seed & Fat balls. Very easy to clean & last.

I've gone the other way and only buy metal ones now, having had plastic ones absolutely destroyed by Grey Squirrels!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I saw a holder for peanut butter listed for sale recently, anyone got one of those?

Would that interest the crows?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I saw a holder for peanut butter listed for sale recently, anyone got one of those?

Would that interest the crows?

According to this you need to be careful what sort of peanut butter you feed to bird:

https://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/bird-suet-foods/peanut-butter.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

We had Rats climbing up the Feeder. I got a very large Garden Pot tray and fitted it on the Fedder so they couldn't get past it. Might work for squirrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

plodder wrote: »
    I refilled our feeder this morning and just five minutes ago heard this almighty commotion of squawking crows. I didn't see it, but my wife was looking out the window and saw a large bird of prey (a red kite or more likely a buzzard) swoop down and take one of the crows at the feeder. If that doesn't keep them away for a while, I don't know what will.

I'd say a sparrowhawk...did it take it away? I though a crow would give a fight, unless what it took was a starling?

seanoge wrote: »

In my garden there are some with a narrow metal fencing around the feeder so it only let the small birds in. Not the prettiest sight as it looks as if the birds were in jail, but that is the compromise.

gzoladz wrote: »
    I'd say a sparrowhawk...did it take it away? I though a crow would give a fight, unless what it took was a starling?
    It was definitely a crow. We're sure of that. And it flew off with it. If a sparrowhawk is capable of flying off with a crow, then maybe it was a sparrowhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

What do people usually feed their garden birds?? I just buy wild bird seed mix at 5euro for 3kg. I was in the petshop today and saw a big bucket with a picture of robin on the front. I couldnt resist the robin its like toiletpaper and golden labrador puppies. Anyway I end up buying 3kg of dried meal worms for 15.95 euro which birds will find this a delishious treat?? Would the robins come to my hand if I hold out the mealworms in my palm??

plodder wrote: »
    It was definitely a crow. We're sure of that. And it flew off with it. If a sparrowhawk is capable of flying off with a crow, then maybe it was a sparrowhawk.

I'd say a female sparrowhawks can fly off with a jackdaw, but she would struggle with a hooded crow or a rook... she will obviously not take a Raven (and I assume it was not a chough, jay or magpie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Robins havent come to my hand yet but 2 seem to be enjoying the mealworms from the hanging feeder

gzoladz wrote: »
    I'd say a female sparrowhawks can fly off with a jackdaw, but she would struggle with a hooded crow or a rook... she will obviously not take a Raven (and I assume it was not a chough, jay or magpie :)
    We have some tall trees at the side of the house with a load of rooks living at the top of them, and they are constantly at the feeders. So, I'd be fairly sure it was one of them. I'm in rural north county Dublin and saw a similar bird lift what appeared to be a dead rabbit off the road a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

pottokblue wrote: »
    What do people usually feed their garden birds?? I just buy wild bird seed mix at 5euro for 3kg. I was in the petshop today and saw a big bucket with a picture of robin on the front. I couldnt resist the robin its like toiletpaper and golden labrador puppies. Anyway I end up buying 3kg of dried meal worms for 15.95 euro which birds will find this a delishious treat?? Would the robins come to my hand if I hold out the mealworms in my palm??

Fat balls, peanuts, dried mealworms, nyger seeds and various bird seeds.
    I assume i'll have to stop with the fat balls soon as the temperature rises.

I just read that some cheap bags of wild bird seed mix can contain filler like wheat which i don't think the birds like. They are known to throw it off the feeder!

Advertisement