Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Messy separation advice

Options
  • 15-12-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My husband and I are going through a fairly messy recent separation. We have three children under 7, but do not own any assets worth talking about. My husband has a good job (earns upwards of €100k/annum I think) and I work (although my job shut down this year due to covid and I am not yet back to work). We rent a house in Dublin at a cost of €2000/month, and have creche fees for our youngest child at €800/month. On top of all the usual bills etc.

My husband moved out last month - the abuse in our relationship became more and more psychical and we cannot even converse at this point. He has threatened to not pay any money towards rent or bills and has told me that he can provide a better quality of life for our children than I can (which monetarily might be true but not emotionally or physically). I am trying to do everything by the book regarding allowing him access to the kids, but he is making life very difficult. I am worried about being evicted and having nowhere for me or my children to live.

I was refused legal aid but am hoping to reapply soon. I have spoken to a solicitor and am leaning towards having a summons issued in the new year, even though I do not know where I will get the money for this.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what is the best thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

You can speak to a few different solicitors (often, not always) the initial consultation may be free. Ask them for your options and best-case / worst-case scenarios. Try to think long-term, if your husband is being as difficult as you say, then a good Judge will see this. The Judges have been doing this for a long time, they can read between the lines and the law is also generally in favour of the Mother and the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susiepringle

Hi, apply for legal aid again, you should qualify at this stage. They are mainly dealing with DV and situations like yours at the moment and will take emergency cases like this.
    Phone women's aid immediately, they will guide you through the process and support you. I'm sorry this is happening but with the right support you'll get there, best of luck

Contact Womens Aid immediately for emotional, as well as practical support.

Their support number is 1800 341 900

Your husband is legally obliged to maintain his family - threatening not to contribute towards costs to bully you into submission falls under "financial abuse" and is another form of domestic violence.

Please don't wait to contact them.

Advertisement