Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paramedic Pay Scale with a Degree

• 02-05-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

If you have a level 8 degree in any discipline and you go to join NAS do you go up a few points on the pay scale like in AGS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Beaverpunisher

binneen wrote: »
    If you have a level 8 degree in any discipline and you go to join NAS do you go up a few points on the pay scale like in AGS?

No. There’s plenty of staff who had degrees prior to joining and they are on the same scale as those without. The Paramedic programme is a three year BSc now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 binneen

No. There’s plenty of staff who had degrees prior to joining and they are on the same scale as those without. The Paramedic programme is a three year BSc now anyway.

Thanks. I am currently in the emergency services on probably 35k a year if you include the allowances, ot. Was thinking of becoming trainee Paramedic. Probably not worth the pay drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

Thanks. I am currently in the emergency services on probably 35k a year if you include the allowances, ot. Was thinking of becoming trainee Paramedic. Probably not worth the pay drop!

You'll earn a lot more than 35k as a paramedic once you're qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Beaverpunisher

whoboy wrote: »
    You'll earn a lot more than 35k as a paramedic once you're qualified.

Absolutely, shift pay, Sunday allowance, OT etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

what is the pay scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Any of you know anyone who went from AGS/DFB or other frontline service into NAS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Any of you know anyone who went from AGS/DFB or other frontline service into NAS?

Generally people go the other way. Out of NAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Generally people go the other way. Out of NAS.

Really..any particular reason?? Is there a high staff turnover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

JBB2020 wrote: »
    Really..any particular reason?? Is there a high staff turnover?

Not a huge turnover but i know a lot who have left over a period of 6 years. Operationally: Morale, (mis)management, being non rostered for years, having no fixed working location, potential for dynamic deployment, late calls running you over after shift, being based a long way away from home, weak union, pay could always be better but double time o.t is better then most others and the subs are decent but means your being lashed.

In neoc a HUGE turnover of staff a lot of agency staff to plug holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Not a huge turnover but i know a lot who have left over a period of 6 years. Operationally: Morale, (mis)management, being non rostered for years, having no fixed working location, potential for dynamic deployment, late calls running you over after shift, being based a long way away from home, weak union, pay could always be better but double time o.t is better then most others and the subs are decent but means your being lashed.

In neoc a HUGE turnover of staff a lot of agency staff to plug holes.

Interesting! Thanks for that. I'm starting as student paramedic in September!!

Do most paramedics enjoy the day to day job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

Do most paramedics enjoy the day to day job?

I'd say yes. But burn out is a major factor in this job especially in older paramedics. Speak to a burnt out medic and they'll have you believing it's the worst job in the world.
    But the majority of them won't change jobs. Also, those who do tend to miss it.

It's not a perfect job. But i'd rather it over most other jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

rubbish job, absolutely no staff welfare.. i'm dfb and i thought our crowd didnt give a ****... nas control definitely don't ..the benefits of a national service..

Advertisement