Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extendable Table

Options
  • 14-01-2018 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend someone that would make an extendable table to match my idea below?

I like the table in the first pic (from Benmore Studio). But I would like it so that the legs can pull out and then slot in an extender piece to make it longer.

I'd like the unextended table to be (1m x 1.6m) and the extender to be (1m x 0.6m).

table.jpg

Extendable_Table.png

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Bear in mind that your pic shows the frame extending to accomodate the additional
    section.

This wouldn't be absolutely neccessary with such a small extension of 300mm each
    end.

And it would be cheaper to manufacture a table top that slides further to one end
    of the table, to allow for the addition of the extended leaf, the other end.

In this scenario the table frame stays rigid, and does not change. easier construction.

3 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Yep, good point. The only draw back with keeping the legs static is that when table is extended sometimes a person is left sitting with a table leg in an awkward position. Moving the legs gives maximum flexibility to use the space.

Due to the the room I am putting the table into, it will not be possible to sit at either end of the table when it is extended. So I need to make maximum use of both sides of the table.

The mechanism to extend the legs wouldn't need to be super quick to put in place (like some of the ones they sell in the shop), as I'd only need to extend it a few times a year.

Super quick or slow makes little odds to the construction details needed,
    to move both ends independant of each other, yet remain stable.

Would you also be requiring storage of the unused leaf, within the table
    construction, but below the top obviously.

If you cant sit at each end, how will you have enough room to pass around each end
    for access to each side.??

kadman wrote: »
    Would you also be requiring storage of the unused leaf, within the table
    construction, but below the top obviously.

I'd be happy to just store it away somewhere as I'd rarely need it.
    If you cant sit at each end, how will you have enough room to pass around each end
    for access to each side.??

On one end you'd have room to pass around, but it'll be tight. Not ideal. But ok for a few times a year.

Least expensive option for you is a stable base construction.

This allows the frame and legs to be constructed in a solid
    non adjustable manner.

And have one half of the table leaf moving 600mm towards the
    end of the table, with an inset drop leaf concealed below the table
    ready to open into the mid section.

The movable table top section will have a number of full length sections
    below it to maintain ridgity when its opened.

Standard inset extending table leaf approach.

Of course standard being dependant on what materials you require to
    make the table, which is absent from your brief.

But either way, off standard bespoke furniture commands a premium price,
    which is going to go up if design is required as well.

• Advertisement

But either way, off standard bespoke furniture commands a premium price,
    which is going to go up if design is required as well.

Thanks! Yes, I guess I really need to get some quotes. It may be something I need to save a while for! Would you have any recommendations of people\companies?

Advertisement