Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hardwood for painting?

Options
  • 22-10-2016 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be making a bed along the lines of the one in the picture below fairly soon. What would be the best species to use for the painted parts? Presumably I don't want it all oak only to cover most of it in paint?

provencal-distressed-cream-oak-bed-5ft-kingsize-high-foot-end-16002204-0-1423046164000.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

poplar or mahogany, the poplar will be cheaper and sand up easier, either one will work well. i made a bed like that a few years back in red deal, happy enough but the only reason i used it was it was lying in the workshop, if i was goig again it would definately be poplar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

poplar is very suitable for what you want,lovely timber to machine and is very stable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Sound lads, poplar it is so! What would you use for the slats? Just pine to keep costs down I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Sound lads, poplar it is so! What would you use for the slats? Just pine to keep costs down I'm thinking.

Poplar again because it has virtually no grain to show on a painted surface.The stores are full of 'yellow poplar' but if you come across its cousin 'aspen' please let me know.Lovely white wood but can't be got anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

recipio wrote: »
    Poplar again because it has virtually no grain to show on a painted surface.The stores are full of 'yellow poplar' but if you come across its cousin 'aspen' please let me know.Lovely white wood but can't be got anywhere.

Sorry I meant the slats to support the mattress! Will ask a bit yellow poplar tomorrow when I call into the timber merchant, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

white deal is plenty good enough for the slats under the matress,they wont be seen once the matress is dropped on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Sorry I meant the slats to support the mattress! Will ask a bit yellow poplar tomorrow when I call into the timber merchant, thanks!

Ideally beech or oak for strength........but I'd say poplar would be fine. They take a surprising amount of weight ( no offence ) so a knot free wood is needed.:D I had some bunk beds with a yellow wood for slats which was so hard I used it for false tenons in furniture. I think it was ramin.

Advertisement