Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making stuff from pallets

• 16-06-2013 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I do this all the time.
    Anyone else? Any stories or tips to share?
    So my table that wasn't good enough for that competition(which I'm still bummed about)
    We varnished it today. It's a gift for my friend dave
    Before
    null-276.jpg

After (1 coat)
    null-1357.jpg

I like it. **** that competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Er...........what competition.? A little cryptic for me. Pallets are a cheap source of wood, sometimes nice hardwood but you need a thicknesser to make the best of them. Getting out all those ring nails is however a beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

http://m.instructables.com/id/Scrap-Table/

I made one of these from pallets. Lot of work but great finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

recipio wrote: »
    ....Getting out all those ring nails is however a beggar.

You're not wrong!

I picked up a decent pallet from work a while back to make into a planter. Two hours of cursing later, I counted 112 nails that came out of it! :eek:

Nice table David.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It's weird how fast you get good at dismantling and denailing. Keep at it:)
    I've built a good load of stuff you can see here if you're interested.
    http://pinterest.com/woodenideas/palletable/

Helpful short article in what pallets are safe to use
    http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Any one made something interesting. I'm always looking for a project

david75 wrote: »
    It's weird how fast you get good at dismantling and denailing. Keep at it:)
    I've built a good load of stuff you can see here if you're interested.

Yeah, at first I just took which pallets looked the best without looking at how they were put together.

I've only made a couple of very basic planters for the garden, but am going to attempt some other things in the future. I can get pallets through work, so am always putting the decent ones aside ;)

Thanks for the link, so good stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

My 1st project from a pallet: a planter.
    With the left over wood from the planter and another whole pallets I'm trying to do a coffee table. (Probably less elaborated than the david75's one but inspired by etsy)

That's a beauty.is it just wood stain you're using?

That's a beauty.is it just wood stain you're using?

Thanks,

I used a left over paint for garden furniture from IKEA.

Glazing paint, this one
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00163351/

• Advertisement

..I've built a good load of stuff you can see here if you're interested.

Some great stuff there David :)

I like the look of that wine rack, think I might tackle something similar.

Have been stockpiling the pallets in anticipation of some time off soon so that I can get started. Herself mentioned that she'd like a shelf/rack for some old fruit crates that she'd use for storing vegetables.

The only thing I can say to you is just do it. It'll come to you when you're right or wrong. You'll enjoy it.
    Using something and giving it a life when it was headed for landfill. Sounds hippy dippy but it's such a nice feeling. Go for it. If you get stuck give is a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

My first pallet project :D

2v3lpba.jpg

Have to touch the paint up a bit and varnish it before it's done but I'm delighted with how it turned out :)

Definitely investing in a chop saw before I try my next project :eek:

That's so brilliant! Well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

stacexD wrote: »
    My first pallet project :D

Have to touch the paint up a bit and varnish it before it's done but I'm delighted with how it turned out :)

Definitely investing in a chop saw before I try my next project :eek:

Great job on that, much better than a scruffy dog bed in the corner !

If you are after a chop saw I can recommend this deal from Screwfix. It's a compound mitre saw and circular saw for 99 Pound delivered. Loads of reviews of both saws out there. It comes with a multi material blade which cuts cleanly through nails etc in the wood, so perfect for pallets.

I used the mitre saw for the first time today and it's perfect. The fence and mitre stops needed a little tune up, but this is normal for any saw. It's a very compact unit, so it doesn't take up much space in the shed etc.

I haven't tried the circular saw yet, but it looks to be good quality also.

No connection with Screwfix other than a happy customer.

...Using something and giving it a life when it was headed for landfill. Sounds hippy dippy but it's such a nice feeling...

I know what you mean.

In my job, they were paying to have a ridiculous amount of them taken away as they got so many in :rolleyes:

Great job stacexD :)

Copied Inspired by David75's wine rack, knocked this together earlier. :P

Needs a bit more sanding, and have yet to decide on the finish.

ih5fmv.jpg

Looks great!! They look good painted varnished or just left bare.
    I'm thinking of dabbling in a little staining. You can use oil, coffee, good few other things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

fiacha wrote: »
    Great job on that, much better than a scruffy dog bed in the corner !

If you are after a chop saw I can recommend this deal from Screwfix. No connection with Screwfix other than a happy customer.

Hey fiacha:

Do Screwfix deliver to Ireland. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere on boards that they did; but the site says no deliveries to ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

wait4me wrote: »
    Hey fiacha:

Do Screwfix deliver to Ireland. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere on boards that they did; but the site says no deliveries to ROI

;) They didn't, but a pop up on the link now says 'delivering to EU countries' - but at what cost.? I use www.axminster.co.uk who are usually reasonable on delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks - the pop up didn't 'pop up' on my work machine but it did here at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I never thought of building anything from pallets until I seen this picture, if I was to build something, this is what I would attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

recipio wrote: »
    ;) They didn't, but a pop up on the link now says 'delivering to EU countries' - but at what cost.? I use www.axminster.co.uk who are usually reasonable on delivery.

20 pound or free for orders over 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    My 1st project from a pallet: a planter.
    With the left over wood from the planter and another whole pallets I'm trying to do a coffee table. (Probably less elaborated than the david75's one but inspired by etsy)
    Is that ground elder growing in front of the planter?

Looks great!! They look good painted varnished or just left bare.
    I'm thinking of dabbling in a little staining. You can use oil, coffee, good few other things too.

I'm going to have a go at using the wire wool left overnight in white vinegar mixture. Seems to give a nice old look to the wood.

I'm going to have a go at using the wire wool left overnight in white vinegar mixture. Seems to give a nice old look to the wood.

Good idea. My friend says that regular bleach and wire wool can do that too if the wood is particularly dirty and you want a certain look. I take these things apart every day so I'm reluctant to not scrub them as much as possible but you never know. Could be a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I make kindling from my pallets.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Is that ground elder growing in front of the planter?

no, it's mint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I never thought of building anything from pallets until I seen this picture, if I was to build something, this is what I would attempt.

Looks so easy. What would be the best way to support the back? A couple of L brackets? Or do you think it would need more support?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I make kindling from my pallets.

Bad idea. Especially if they're chemically treated.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Looks so easy. What would be the best way to support the back? A couple of L brackets? Or do you think it would need more support?

Nothing to the one at all. You're basically sanding painting and sitting them on top of each other. Some screws and L brackets would be all you need.
    No idea where to get foam for cushions though. Avoid the shops in capel st Dublin. They're ridiculously expensive for even the basic foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I was thinking the small mattresses from ikea and getting my GF who is handy with the sewing machine to make covers for them

Great idea! Waterproofing the cushions or at least putting them in shade is where I got stumped.

Made a side table. Might use it as a tv stand
    null-1370.jpg
    null-2357.jpg

Made a side table. Might use it as a tv stand
    null-1370.jpg
    null-2357.jpg

Nice one. Where do you find that type of pallet? The only ones I found are the one with the cube blocks in the middle

• Advertisement

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Nice one. Where do you find that type of pallet? The only ones I found are the one with the cube blocks in the middle

I'm down Smithfield most days looking for matching wood. Good idea to bring a lump hammer and wrecking bar. You can then take what you need instead of dragging a pallet home only to find half of it is useful. I take them apart down there and bring the bits I need home.

Also this isn't just one pallet but wood from about three different types all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I done on a project on this years ago in college. brilliant some of the mixes that can be used but the wire wool in vinegar works brilliant, especially on oak.

What stage are the pallets you both used for this? Are they old and silvered? Did you prewash them?
    And how's it done, do I just scrub the wood with the wirewool?

• Advertisement

What stage are the pallets you both used for this? Are they old and silvered? Did you prewash them?
    And how's it done, do I just scrub the wood with the wirewool?

The site I saw it on said to put a small amount of the 000 grade very fine wire wool in to a jar with white vinegar and leave for 24 hours. The wire wool will dissolve into the vinegar, then just brush on.

I made this earlier, and will be trying the above mixture over the weekend, so I'll post up how it turns out.

10rif6u.jpg

Cool thanks. I've been tying to find those wooden wine crates everywhere for a table I want to build. No luck. Good idea just building one.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Hi all,
    I have seen some great stuff done with pallets, I would like to give it a try.. but not sure where to start... Where can I get pallets?
    I am in North Dublin area.
    Thanks

Do you have a car?
    If you get to Smithfield, earlier the better but before 1pm, there's all sorts lying around. Look for broken ones and break them up while you're there. That way you won't have to drag useless wood home with you.
    Industrial estates always have pallets lying around and are happy to let you take em but just be sure to ask before you do.
    Some companies pay for them but most companies pay big money to have them taken away so in most cases you're doing them a favour.

Only get pallets with HT branded on them and wash the bejaysus out of them before you start working with them at all!
    Best of luck and looking forward to seeing pics of your work:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

root69 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have seen some great stuff done with pallets, I would like to give it a try.. but not sure where to start... Where can I get pallets?
    I am in North Dublin area.
    Thanks

Try some of the business parks around Balbriggan and ask for permission first explain to them what you are doing before you go skip diving and don't leave a mess behind you that way you will be welcome back :D

I made this earlier, and will be trying the above mixture over the weekend, so I'll post up how it turns out.

10rif6u.jpg

This was taken after coating with the vinegar/wire wool solution, I really like the finish it gives.

The wire wool had only been soaking for 24 hours, but could probably do with leaving longer.

fbi8v9.jpg

That looks great! Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done on all the wonderful projects. I've made a kitchen table and chairs from pallets, but nothing I've done can beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

Would you guys know of anywhere southside where I could get pallets? :confused:

Any industrial estates or factories near you. Dundrum might be a stretch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement