Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(knife) handle joining mechanism

Options
  • 28-07-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Dear all,

I am making a new teak handle for my knife, a Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife, but i'm stuck at the joining mechanism. It's a full tang knife, and looks like this newly bought:
    1589.jpg
    the knife without the original handle looks like this:
    Handvat%20Mes%2C%20juli%202009%20008.jpg
    this is the handle i made myself:
    Handvat%20Mes%2C%20juli%202009%20033.jpg
    Handvat%20Mes%2C%20juli%202009%20030.jpg
    Handvat%20Mes%2C%20juli%202009%20037.jpg
    now, my problem: i need a joining mechanism ( the nuts and bolts i use now are a temporary solution, obviously), that fastens the two sides of the handle to the knife. The original handle used an inbus bolt on one side, and a nut that in fact consisted of a hollow inbus bolt:
    Handvat%20Mes%2C%20juli%202009%20099.jpg

The problem is, the original bolts & nuts are of low quality and not long enough, and i don't know where to find these parts, neither do i know their name. The original 'nut' (or hollow bolt) has a diameter of 6 mm (0,235 inches), the bolt has a diameter of 4 mm (0,16 inches) . Does anyone have an idea how i can solve this problem in an alternative way? I know I could glue the handle parts to the knife, but i'd rather have it to be removable.

Thanks alot!

J.

Comments

Advertisement